Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:16:35 pm

Author Topic: JR's journey to becoming independent.  (Read 4334 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: I need to avoid being idle.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »
+5
Hey,

I remember applying for jobs after year 12 and it absolutely sucked. It's very dispiriting to be rejected & it can be easy to question your value as an applicant. It's normal to be pushed back a lot so although it's worth looking at tips & thinking about how you can improve your employability struggling to get a job is something many many of my peers have gone through before finally breaking through.

If you're going to volunteer to build experience please try to pick a volunteer position you are genuinely interested in - actually caring about what you're doing will make it more rewarding for you and your resume.

There's nothing wrong with wanting money. Prioritising money over everything else is unhealthy but not having much autonomy or ability to learn financial skills isn't great either.

While your on your cruise you'll have time to reflect - or just distract yourself and have fun - and I hope that whatever your experiences on the cruise are, they help. 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 02:48:49 pm »
+2
So I'm back from the cruise! Two days ago actually...Back to real life now.

I think I may know the reason why I have not gotten close to even getting an interview, let alone a job offer. I "spammed" several KFC and Hungry Jacks branches with resumes and applications, not even bothering to change up the wording in my resume. I suppose they caught onto that, realised it was the same person, and hit the "reject" button on me every single time. I suppose spamming isn't the way to go. But then, what more can I do to increase the likelihood of getting that interview?

Ugh, adult life is kinda difficult.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 03:12:20 pm »
+3
Try a local YMCA? They almost always have customer service jobs going.
Fast food places and stores like Target, IGA, ALDI are also good places to look at, as well as local cafes or retail stores :)
I know woolies is super competitive but they are almost always looking for people to work at petrol stations, but thats dependant where you live
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 05:47:32 pm »
+4
It's not for everyone, but you could consider becoming a support worker. It's a really fulfilling part time job. Pays well. Good hours. Lots of flexibility. Real human connections.

Often you need a WWCC, Police Check, First Aid Qualification, License (and sometimes car, but I've gotten around both of there requirements quite easily), and a willingness to learn.

You can sign with an agency and accept jobs that suit you. (Highly recommend Carer Solutions Australia, but there are others around. There's a Disability Support Worker FaceBook group where heaps of jobs in Australia are posted.) Might be a good way to spend summer and something that you could continue after Uni starts back?

Good luck finding the right employment for you!

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 08:41:55 pm »
+3
Anyone got any practical tips to help me take better care of my physical health? Or at least be less sedentary? I mean, I walk an estimated 1.8km for each day I go to university, but I only have classes three days a week.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 12:23:24 pm »
+5
Anyone got any practical tips to help me take better care of my physical health? Or at least be less sedentary? I mean, I walk an estimated 1.8km for each day I go to university, but I only have classes three days a week.
A good tip is to break up your study with a bit of exercise such as a walk or run outside, if the weather permits. If the weather doesn’t permit or you’re a feeling a little more indoorsy that day, try looking up a beginner’s 20 minute indoor workout and doing one you like. Otherwise, you could commit to going to the gym, pool or a join a sports team to get some more exercise in. Given you’re in uni now, maybe they’ll have uni sports clubs or some social sports to join. (Bonus: some of these options are free and will help you stay social. :) ) If practical, you could wake up a bit earlier each day (could be just 15 mins or an hour, depending on how you feel) and do some exercise with that bit of extra time.

Also, try to get to sleep at the same time (I’m terrible at this myself) and get the recommended hours of sleep in. It’ll help repair your body as well as help with your mental health.

Remember also to keep tabs on your diet. If you’re only eating junk food, then it’s likely you’ll feel terrible too. Where necessary, try to make small alterations to your meals so that they’re a little healthier and you’re getting the recommended servings of vegetables, fruit and other food groups.

Small changes like that can amount to bigger ones later, so start small and work your way up. Good luck!  :D
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 05:16:20 pm »
+1
I'm unsure of how much you study but it could be helpful to commit to going for a walk before you sit down to study i find this works for me and it helps me focus so much better. For example: I'm about to go do some study, BUT before i do that i have to go for a walk outside it doesnt matter how far/long just get moving and get the blood flowing and hopefully you'll get into a habit :)

Or when you wake up you could do some stretches, which i know helps me feel more away and ready to tackle the day which in turn will make you feel more motivated to exercise
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP