Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:54:54 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 604050 times)  Share 

skyersie

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2115 on: August 15, 2017, 08:20:58 pm »
Hey!

Sorry to hear that you couldn't pursue Global Politics. It can be extremely frustrating when a school can't provide your desired subjects.

But if it's any consolation, Legal Studies is an absolutely amazing subject  :D
With a subject like Legal, there is a substantial amount of overlap between units 3/4 and 1/2. Therefore I wouldn't worry too much about not having done the 1/2. What you might find helpful, is spending some of your summer holidays familiarising yourself with key terms and concepts. At least then you will have some idea of what's to come and the right confidence to fully engage with the subject.

In regards to your class situation, I'd also recommend that you don't stress too much about it. When I completed Legal last year, I was practically the only year 11 student. Yet this pushed me to do even better in the subject because I had the influence of students who had already done a 3/4 and knew what effort was required to be successful.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck!  :)

It feels good to know I won't be all lost! And I'll definitely look into the key terms and concepts, thank you!
Currently year 10 & still working out what i wanna be ;D

2018:
japanese[1/2] • physics[1/2] • methods[1/2] • history[1/2] • english[1/2] • legal[3/4]

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2116 on: August 15, 2017, 11:23:48 pm »
Hello Legal Studys!
i was just wondering whether there is any 'perfect' 10 mark responses out there just to see generally how they are structured and the quality of the response. i regularly check vcaa past examination papers however, with the longer questions they tend to only have the beginning of the question. my teacher has been telling me that the beginning of my 10markers are great just need to work on the end points of them (which ironically arent on the vcaa reports)
also anywhere other than checkpoints to get practise sacs or questions?
thankss :)   ;D

A good answer completely depends on the wording of the question, and every single one differs from the other. Just keep banging out points until you run out of time, and then wrap it all with your concluding answer/opinion.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2117 on: August 17, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »
Hello again.... this is sort of linked to last q. i was wondering whether i could get some feedback on one 10marker q. what can i do to improve? does it answer the question? sorry its quite long :-\

Discuss the extent to which the adversary system achieves one of the elements of an effective legal system.
In your answer, compare two features of the adversary system with the inquisitorial system.

The adversary system aims to achieve the entitlement to a fair and unbiased hearing; however, this can be achieved only to a certain extent.
one feature of the adversary system is the role of the judge, who acts as an impartial unbiased umpire, unable to assist either parties. this means that the parties are treated the same thereby upholding justice and fairness. however, in contrast in the inquisitorial system the role of the judge is greatly increased and takes control of the cases, including researching and investigating the case, and creating a 'dossier' of facts and evidence.
the role of the judge in the adversary system achieves having a fair and unbiased trial. this is because the decision maker is left with an independent third party and therefore the decision is respected and confidence is upheld in the system that it is fair. however, because the judge isn’t allowed to assist either parties- even if one party is poorly represented- this may lead to an imbalance of power between the two parties and not achieve an effective fair trial.
furthermore, another weakness is that the role of the judge doesn’t allow their expertise to be fully utilised, impacting on the outcome of the trial as the fighting between parties is in control of the parties. however, a strength of this is that because of the experience of the judge, keeping an impartial position ensures that parties are treated fairly, therefore ensuring a fair trial.
a second feature is the role of the parties, which in the adversary system have a very active role as the instigate and investigate the case. in contrast, the inquisitorial system the parties have a much lesser role and can only respond to the directions of the court.
a second key difference between the systems is that in the adversary system, parties bring and present their own evidence and arguments to the court, choosing what evidence and presenting it in the best possible way. whereas, the inquisitorial system the parties do not present or bring evidence to the court but instead the judge does it in order to find the truth.
the role of the parties helps to a certain extent the fairness of a hearing, this is due to the strength which allows parties in control of their own case which ensures an equal opportunity to win the case, ensuring fairness. however, due to the parties responsible for bringing evidence to courts, not all evidence may emerge therefore resulting in an unfair and unjust outcome of the trial.
a second strength of the adversary system is that the parties have the option to engage in legal representation and present their best possible case, ensuring a level playing field and options for parties for a fair trial. yet, on the other hand, not all parties can afford legal representation and this results that the access to a fair and unbiased trial is limited due to the imbalance in power.
whilst the adversary system does to some extent fulfil the one element of an effective legal system - a fair and unbaits trial - it is not without flaws, and does sometimes outcome in an unfair trial. however, the adversary system, in my opinion, is effective and achieves the principle of a fair trial. 

thankyouuuuu! :D ;)

abbeyrose

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #2118 on: August 24, 2017, 10:16:47 pm »
If anyone could help me with this question it would be much appreciated :)

'An advocate of the adversary system recently commented that, 'the use of the adversary system of trial ensures that trials are conducted in a fair and effective manner'. To what extent do you agree with this statement? Justify your response'.

It's worth 8 marks and I was wondering what I would need to include and how to structure a question like this to gain the full marks. Thank you :)
2016-2017 (VCE): English, Legal Studies, Further Maths, HHD, Psychology, History: Global Empires
2019-: Monash University

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2119 on: August 25, 2017, 08:40:28 am »
+3
If anyone could help me with this question it would be much appreciated :)

'An advocate of the adversary system recently commented that, 'the use of the adversary system of trial ensures that trials are conducted in a fair and effective manner'. To what extent do you agree with this statement? Justify your response'.

It's worth 8 marks and I was wondering what I would need to include and how to structure a question like this to gain the full marks. Thank you :)

hi
what i would think for this question is that there would be 6marks allocated for your analysis points on the fair and unbias trial, 1-2 points for your evaluation and 'point of view' and 1 mark for global.
points may include-
-  the role of the judge is fair because it cannot assist either parties, but rather only clarify certain issues. and it is unbiased because of they act as an impartial umpire and are not allowed to investigate the case and make the decision based on the facts and evidence brought to the courtroom. however, the role of the judge not allowed to assist either parties by suggesting any ideas, facts or evidence to explore even if a party is poorly represented. this can result in a further imbalance of power between the two parties and therefore resulting in an unfair trial.
- the role of the rules of evidence and procedure ensures the a fair trial because the rules of procedure ensure both parties are on a level playing field and therefore ensure fairness and consistency as both parties are treated equally with the same rules. it also upholds natural justice and fairness because the rules of evidence do not allow irrelevant, inadmissible, unreliable or illegally obtained evidence protecting both parties. however, it is only to a certain extent that the rules of evidence and procedure uphold and ensure a fair and unbiased trial. due to these strict rules some critical evidence may not be allowed to be heard in the courts and therefore not giving the party the best chance for a fair trial. furthermore, as witnesses can only respond to questions of cross examination and not 'tell their story' the evidence that they may give may be incomplete and therefore result in misleading evidence leading to an unfair trial
- the role of the parties ensures a fair and unbiased trial because it allows for each and every party to have the equal opportunity to fight their own cases and give them the best possible opportunity to fight and win their own case rather than it being in the courts hands.  because they have such an active role in the adversary system they are more likely to feel much more satisfied and that they are receiving a fair and unbiased trial.
- the principle of legal representation aims to ensure a fair and unbiased trial, however, may be a large reason why unfair trials occur.... legal representation is expensive leading to one party not being able to have equal legal representation and have an imbalance in power between the to representation therefore not fulfilling the notion of a fair and unbiased trial...

thats a couple of ideas :)- obviously in a real situation i would refer alot more to the key words of the q. & this isnt a real answer only dotpoints... so a mini intro and conclusion and evaluation would have to be present to recieve full marks.
further about the points i would probably do either 3 really 'fleshed out' points or 4 shorter (but still detailed) points

hope tht helps despite been all over the place  :-\ ;)

stunner05

• Adventurer
« Reply #2120 on: September 16, 2017, 07:23:45 pm »
hey, so currently i am studying for my last sac for legal and was wondering whether police investigation falls under pre-trial procedures..if anyone could give a hand it will be much appreciated :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2121 on: September 16, 2017, 10:38:05 pm »
+1
hey, so currently i am studying for my last sac for legal and was wondering whether police investigation falls under pre-trial procedures..if anyone could give a hand it will be much appreciated :)

It's not one of the VCAA listed/required pre-trial procedures.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2122 on: September 17, 2017, 03:58:02 pm »
how would i answer 'discuss the extent damages restore people back to there original state' 4 marks

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2123 on: September 18, 2017, 01:12:46 pm »
how would i answer 'discuss the extent damages restore people back to there original state' 4 marks

That task word means basically the same as 'evaluate'. So, give answers for and against, with an opinion.
Good luck!

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2124 on: September 25, 2017, 08:34:43 pm »
just wondering whether in legal questions asking 'what extent do you agree with this' whether you can say 'i agree to this statement to a great extent.... blahh blah'

in simpler terms can i use 'i' in legal responses?

thankyou :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2125 on: September 25, 2017, 09:08:56 pm »
+2
just wondering whether in legal questions asking 'what extent do you agree with this' whether you can say 'i agree to this statement to a great extent.... blahh blah'

in simpler terms can i use 'i' in legal responses?

thankyou :)

100% you can!! Don't shy away from it at all.
Good luck!

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2126 on: September 26, 2017, 02:44:01 pm »
100% you can!! Don't shy away from it at all.

awesome :) thankyou

Vedrisca

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2127 on: October 07, 2017, 12:40:37 pm »
anyone know any websites or resources i can get info on wills and inheritance?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2128 on: October 07, 2017, 09:58:12 pm »
+1
The VLRC fairly recently finished its investigation into the issue, so I'd read through their consultation paper and report.
Good luck!

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2129 on: October 10, 2017, 08:55:57 pm »
can anyone help with how to structure or what to include in a 10marker conclusion. i have recently done quite a few and received 8 or that around abouts. with the feedback need to make conclusion stronger. i know it obviously depends on the q... but any hints, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated