Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:21:01 am

Author Topic: critically evaluate??  (Read 1780 times)  Share 

anavychev

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
critically evaluate??
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
Hey guys! A question in my coursework booklet states:

A writer in a legal journal said, 'Tribunals such as VCAT are the best way to resolve civil disputes and increase acessibility to the legal system for parties in civil disputes.' Critically evaluate the role and the effectiveness of VCAT in resolving disputes.

What does it mean to "critically evaluate"? Is it similar to writing a 10 mark question?

Thank you!!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: critically evaluate??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 08:54:45 pm »

A writer in a legal journal said, 'Tribunals such as VCAT are the best way to resolve civil disputes and increase acessibility to the legal system for parties in civil disputes.' Critically evaluate the role and the effectiveness of VCAT in resolving disputes.

What does it mean to "critically evaluate"? Is it similar to writing a 10 mark question?

Thank you!!

Hey!

When I did Legal last year, I too had difficulty differentiating between the 'evaluate' and 'critically evaluate' task words. But after attending multiple lectures (run by examiners), I came to find that they were effectively the same thing. So basically, you need to weigh up both the strengths and weaknesses of VCAT and come to an ultimate conclusion (ie. is VCAT fundamentally effective or ineffective as a body).

Usually this type of task word will be used for 8-10 markers :)

Hopefully this helps!
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:26:41 pm »

Thank you!!

hope this isnt too late.. but what my teacher says is that you are critical about whatever you are evaluating, and therefore do say a strength and then counteract this with 2 weaknesses. however, like as above i have been to a couple of lectures and they have said that just treat it the same as an 'evaluate' question.
also just to add... i think (and been told by a lecturer) that these 'critically evaluate' questions are dying out...
hope it helps! :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:27:33 pm »
They're exactly the same. Have an opinion, and then discuss the different sides and arguments.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:33:13 pm »
They're exactly the same. Have an opinion, and then discuss the different sides and arguments.
Welcome back! :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »
Welcome back! :)

Hahaha!! :D Thank you.

I'd be back more if we had more Legal questions. So few Legal questions the past couple of years.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

Notarobot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:39:26 pm »
Hello, I have a related question, I hope this is the right place to post it.

What is the difference between these two elements of the area of study?

In AOS 4, Unit 2 of the study design,
key knowledge: strengths and weaknesses of the adversarial system of trial
key skills: critically evaluate the adversarial system of trial

To put it another way, what would be the difference required in answering these two questions, assuming the mark allocation was the same:

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the adversarial system of trial?
Critically evaluate the adversarial system of trial.

Would it be that with a strengths and weaknesses question we would just need to be able to list an even number of strengths and weaknesses, however, to critically evaluate we would need to come to a conclusion about whether is is overall a good system or not?

Would 'critically evaluate' always be a 10 mark question and would it often require a case study example?

2017: English, Psychology, Legal Studies, Further Maths, Global Politics.
2016: Business Management

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:09 pm »
+4
1. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the adversarial system of trial?
2. Critically evaluate the adversarial system of trial.

Hi there =))

While they do sound similar, there would be differences.
Strengths and weaknesses = Strengths and weaknesses, but NO take sides
- Adversarial system.. .SOME PROS
- ADVERSARIAL .. SOME CONS

Critically evaluate =  Strengths and weaknesses  + Judgement / taking a side
- Adversarial system.. .SOME PROS
- ADVERSARIAL .. SOME CONS
- SUMMARY of pros, cons  + context.. .then take a side (Is it a good or bad system).