Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:16:51 pm

Author Topic: Methods assumed knowledge  (Read 4053 times)

alibaba02

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Methods assumed knowledge
« on: December 15, 2020, 04:42:22 pm »
Hi guys I'm doing maths methods for year 12 and I was just wondering if their was any assumed knowledge we need to know for the subject. As in let's say you were taking a test for logarithms but in one of the questions it also ask you to find an area of a square.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Methods assumed knowledge
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 06:25:19 pm »
+2
Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

Which curriculum/state is this about?

alibaba02

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 07:22:16 pm »
Its QCE

Amity H

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:06:44 pm »
+4
It may be too late for you but it might help someone else: basically what I’ve been told for QCE Methods is that everything builds upon itself. So if you’re doing unit 3 it may have stuff that you learnt in unit 1, same as all maths has times tables that you learnt in grade 3 or whatever. The externals won’t specifically ask questions about unit 1 or 2 content, but you may need to use a process or formula you learnt in yr 11 (units 1 and 2) to answer a more complicated question from unit 3 or 4.

Actual example: recently we did Unit 4 Topic 1: further differentiation and applications 3, which is about the second derivative so quite obviously you need to understand how to differentiate, which we learnt somewhere back in unit 1 or 2.

Hope that helps someone!
“People don’t care about how much you know until they know how much you care.”

Graduating yr 12 in Qld 2021
I study General English, Maths Methods, Music, Biology and Latin (any fellow Latin people here?)

I’m selling methods notes (units 1-4), pm me for details.

GreenNinja

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:31:24 pm »
I was just about to post a question regarding this topic when I spooted this thread :).

Your above comments quite cleared many of my questions  ;D

But, I am still confused on whether topics like Arrangments and Combinations which are only talked in Unit 1 & 2, are these topics porbably to be assesed in unit 3 and 4 exams even thought they are irrevelant to unit 3 and 4 (in the externals as well)?

Similar to this, there are things like y^=x which we are required to solve and graph in u1&2 which don't appear in u3&4. Are these also assesed in the externals?

Thanks,
Techy