Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:18:58 pm

Author Topic: Failing  (Read 2397 times)

rapheril98

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Failing
« on: August 17, 2020, 03:46:33 pm »
Hi guys,

I currently have a big concern and I am very worried about it. I'm not too sure on what's happening to me right now but it seems to me as I have just lost all motivation, especially this term (3). I am doing math methods yr 11 and have just received a mark of 37%! I am so devastated and this is not what I usually achieve. I think I have failed this term for maths. But in term 1 I achieved 17/20 and term 2 achieving an 81%. Does this mean I will not get my QCAA points? Will I have to move down?
I'm servery stressed right now. If anyone can answer or pass me on some tips on term 4 work it would be greatly appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 04:18:18 pm by rapheril98 »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Failing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:44:56 pm »
+2
Hey!

Given everything that's been going on and how big the transition is from year 10 to QCE it makes sense that you might hit a point where it's hard to find motivation and concentrate. The important thing isn't that mark you got - it's what you do going forwards and how you can learn from it.

This does not automatically mean you have failed or will need to move down.

QCAA's guidelines online report that:
A school determines satisfactory completion of a unit when:
a student has had the opportunity to engage in the teaching, learning and assessment of the unit, and
evidence produced by the student in response to the complete assessment program (designed for reporting to the QCAA) demonstrates, on-balance, achievement of the syllabus standards at a C standard or better.

A school determines unsatisfactory completion of a unit when:
a student has had the opportunity to engage in the teaching, learning and assessment of the unit, and
evidence produced by the student in response to the complete assessment program (designed for reporting to the QCAA) demonstrates, on-balance, achievement of the syllabus standards at a D or E standard

It sounds like on the whole you have been showing the syllabus standards above a C level. There is also provision for if other circumstances influence your ability to complete the assessment (AARA).

To improve for term 4, it would be great to look at specifically you didn't do well at this term so that you can target those things. If motivation has been a big issue it's likely that you should spend more time looking after your wellbeing (healthy sleep, eating etc.) as well as looking at academic things you can change (like using a log of mistakes, changing how/if you revise, focusing on quality rather than quantity, using additional info sources to help you understand concepts etc.).

I hope this helps & please feel free to reply with follow up questions or comments :)

With your worry about "moving down" can you please clarify what specifically you're referring to here?

rapheril98

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 07:59:36 am »
Thanks so much!
I guess you are right I just need to get my head back into the game. I'm scared that they will ask me to move down to general maths. I am only doing maths methods for my course so I must stay in it

:)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 08:35:25 am »
+1
Thanks so much!
I guess you are right I just need to get my head back into the game. I'm scared that they will ask me to move down to general maths. I am only doing maths methods for my course so I must stay in it

:)

No worries!

Ok, I recommend talking to your teacher about your concerns since they'll be able to provide you with feedback and guidance specific to your performance and our school. If they see that you're trying to pick up and learn from it I can only imagine that working in your favour if anything else did happen with you not meeting the standard you usually do. There's nothing that would indicate to me you're going to be moved down to general, just make sure you learn from this experience so it doesn't become a pattern :)