Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:24:25 pm

Author Topic: Measurement  (Read 3995 times)  Share 

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Measurement
« on: October 23, 2019, 12:13:59 pm »
Hi! I'm going through the massive pack NESA put together and I am really stuck on this measurement question. I don't even understand the working.
Question is attached

Thanks in advance

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Measurement
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 02:00:35 pm »
+3
This looks pretty long actually. Both parts a) and b) require you to be able to identify all the overlapping shapes present in the question.

For a), the hatched area is obtained by noting that:
- \(ABDC\) is really just the triangle \(\triangle ABC\).
- \(ABEC\) is a sector of a circle, whose centre is \(A\).

Observe that the area you require is the area of the sector, less the area of the triangle. (Side note: In 2u maths, they frequently call this the area of a minor segment.) So you need to compute the areas of the two shapes listed above first:
- Area of \(ABDC\): Using \( \frac12bh\), we obtain \( \frac12\times 2\times 2 = 2\) cm.
- Area of \(ABEC\): Using \( \frac{\theta}{360} \times \pi r^2\), since our angle is a right angle, we obtain \( \frac{90}{360}\times \pi \times 2^2 = \pi\).

Hence the area of the required region, i.e. the hatched area \(BDCE\), is \( \pi - 2\) cm2. If you use your calculator, you'll find that indeed the answer is approximately 1.14 cm2.

Then for part b), you need to first realise that \(BDCF\) is a semi-circle. This is because \(D\) is the centre of the circle through \(B\), \(C\) and \(F\), and hence we conclude that \(BC\) is a diameter of this circle.

Once you realise that \(BDCF\) is a semi-circle, you need to realise. that the shaded area \(BECF\) is now just the area of this semicircle, less the hatched area from the previous part. This should help you get to the answer.

The key point: Try not to focus on the picture as a whole - it's very easy to get lost this way. Build up what you require bit by bit. Compound area problems always require you to see if one area can be formed by somehow manipulating other areas. In particular, other areas, which you know how to compute (e.g. area of a sector).

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 07:16:13 pm »
Thankyou so much! I really do see the individual shapes now that you point it out. my worry is that if i get a question like this on Friday and I'll be too stressed to realise. I will have to go through past papers and practise these types.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 07:38:05 pm »
+1
If they do end up appearing on the day, you may wanna consider leaving the question till last. Get all those marks you know you can easily get before those that might cause a panic!

Good luck :)

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 12:14:54 pm »
Hello Dani01,
I was wondering whether you could point me to the "massive nesa pack"
it may be helpful seeing there will be limited past papers.
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 04:58:16 pm »
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 05:52:21 pm »
thanks
Business Studies