National Education > General National Education Discussion

Revision tips

(1/2) > >>

sowhat:
Hello,
I'm trying to revise the whole year through so to get the best results possible in all my work and was wondering if anyone has any great revision ideas or techniques?

Thanks!  :D

angewina_naguen:

--- Quote from: sowhat on May 02, 2019, 12:35:30 pm ---Hello,
I'm trying to revise the whole year through so to get the best results possible in all my work and was wondering if anyone has any great revision ideas or techniques?

--- End quote ---

Hey, sowhat!

Lovely to see eager and proactive students on the forum! I'm sure you'll get a plethora of helpful advice and tips from the community. My best tip with consolidating knowledge is to revise with someone who knows basically nothing about your subject/s. This way, you can teach them the content and demonstrate how well you know it. I taught a lot of arts/humanities content to my sister who was definitely more of a maths/science kind of gal which presented me with a special challenge to making it comprehensive and enjoyable  :)

You'll also be able to realise any gaps or areas that you need to focus on more as a result. I noticed a few topics were stronger than others and that I was less confident in ones that I may not have expected. This can help you develop a targeted approach to what content you still need to learn and retain  8) Hope that helps! Keen to see more responses!

Angelina  ;D

NomotivationF:

--- Quote from: sowhat on May 02, 2019, 12:35:30 pm ---Hello,

--- End quote ---

Hey, I think this is really dependent on your style of studying. What do you feel that works for you currently, and what do you think your strengths/weaknesses are in terms of studying?

sowhat:

--- Quote from: NomotivationF on May 06, 2019, 07:33:13 pm ---Hey, I think this is really dependent on your style of studying. What do you feel that works for you currently, and what do you think your strengths/weaknesses are in terms of studying?

--- End quote ---

I seem to write a lot of notes, but this doesn't really help me revise that much unless I do them glossary style

My weakness is probably motivation, I have access to lots of types of revision, plan to do it and then end up procrastinating.

I enjoy watching videos about the subjects we study.

My main revision strength is in learning the content but in testing and evaluating my knowledge I do not do so well.

NomotivationF:
Okay, keep in mind revision techniques etc are mostly dependant on the person and what works for them, here's the advice I would give you;

--- Quote ---I seem to write a lot of notes, but this doesn't really help me revise that much unless I do them glossary style

--- End quote ---
It's good that you write a lot of notes, this is something that personally helps me understand content and remember it more. One suggestion I could make is to create summary notes if you have the time, if not, make sure your notes are always completed to ensure that you have all the information you need when you're answering practice questions.

--- Quote ---My weakness is probably motivation, I have access to lots of types of revision, plan to do it and then end up procrastinating.
--- End quote ---
Lack of motivation and consequent procrastination is something that I've had a hard time dealing with (as you can see from my personal text). However, some things that have significantly helped me is 'the five minute rule.' If you can't motivate yourself to complete your homework or a small set of questions, tell yourself that you'll do it for only five minutes and go from there. It's hard to summarise it so if you want to read more i'd suggest checking out this article.
Another thing that's worked for me in terms of motivation is small rewards/breaks. I know this slows down the pace of my study, but it definitely helps me to complete tasks. For example, if I want to really want to watch an episode of Brooklyn 99, but I need to complete a practice sac, I tell myself ill do half the practice sac before I watch the episode, and the other half after I finish. Usually though I just split my time by doing an hour of full on study and then watch a 10-15 minute youtube video and then back to studying. I find that this gives my brain the rest it needs as well as doesn't waste too much of my time.

--- Quote --- My main revision strength is in learning the content but in testing and evaluating my knowledge I do not do so well.
--- End quote ---
This seems to be one of the main problems some of my friends currently have, they understand and know most if not all of the content, but they don't score too well on sacs or practice sacs. The only thing that will help you here is to complete practice questions and correct them constantly. If you're studying VCE I'd highly suggest investing in VCE checkpoint books for some of your subjects. These books have endless amounts of practice questions relating to each outcome and also the exam, and it is extremely useful to help consolidate and evaluate your knowledge of the subject

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version