Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:10:42 am

Author Topic: Science Subjects Regrets  (Read 2614 times)  Share 

SXR19

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Swinburne Senior Secondary College
Science Subjects Regrets
« on: July 12, 2015, 12:30:59 pm »
As the stupid person that I am, I picked Biology instead of Chemistry and I realised that the majority of the courses I wanted to do requires/recommend Chemistry and now it's too late to change.
Is possible to do 3/4 Chem without 1/2? Also what science subjects are suitable for marine biology?

PS I'm in year 11 btw

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
Re: Science Subjects Regrets
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:41:21 pm »
There are some concepts in Unit 1 and 2 which are important and essential for Unit 3 and 4, but you can learn these essential concepts over the summer break.

Have you done any Chemistry in General Science in Year 10 or below?
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

SXR19

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:25:11 pm »
I've done year 10 Chemistry so I know about balancing equations, pH levels and I vaguely know about mole equations and titration from VET Lab Skills.
But my cousin advise me not to take Chem if I haven't done 1/2 though I heard from some people who were in my situation, came out all right but I don't know :/

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 05:47:43 pm »
Are you able to pick up Unit 2 now? If not, I would recommend talking to the chemistry teacher to see if it's possible/what concepts you should know before entering 3/4.

Also, what courses are you looking at? There might be a similar course at another university that doesn't require chem as a pre-requisite.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:53:49 pm »
I've done year 10 Chemistry so I know about balancing equations, pH levels and I vaguely know about mole equations and titration from VET Lab Skills.
But my cousin advise me not to take Chem if I haven't done 1/2 though I heard from some people who were in my situation, came out all right but I don't know :/

If you know all that, then you should be fine as long as you learn redox and stoichiometry over the break. Refreshing acid/base stuff could help, too.

Anything else you don't know will be retaught, just make sure your teacher's aware that you haven't done 1/2, because it might mean you'll need a little bit of help when you get to naming organic molecules.

SXR19

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 07:45:31 pm »
Are you able to pick up Unit 2 now? If not, I would recommend talking to the chemistry teacher to see if it's possible/what concepts you should know before entering 3/4.

Also, what courses are you looking at? There might be a similar course at another university that doesn't require chem as a pre-requisite.
I'm looking into science-marine biology courses. I know that most of them need a science and methods but I'm worried that I'll be in disadvantage if I didn't do Chemistry

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:49:13 pm »
I'm looking into science-marine biology courses. I know that most of them need a science and methods but I'm worried that I'll be in disadvantage if I didn't do Chemistry

Is that it? Because unless it's a pre-req, I wouldn't worry. If you *really* want to do chem, you can pick it up at uni, but I doubt it's highly necessary if you want to do marine bio (unless you're specifically looking at ecology, in which case understanding of the chemical systems involved in maintaining ecosystems could be useful? Not sure myself)