Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 05:58:13 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 472014 times)  Share 

isobelj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #975 on: November 01, 2017, 07:51:16 pm »
Is the freeze response due to activation of the sympathetic nervous system or the parasympathetic nervous system?

Both! It's sort of like having one foot on the brake and one foot on the accelerator of a car. The parasympathetic NS is active to help the organism remain still and undetected, whilst the sympathetic NS is active to allow the organism a 'boost' to escape or fight as soon as the opportunity arises.

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #976 on: November 01, 2017, 07:52:28 pm »
Psych VCAA 2015 exam question 10c??
Students could gain one mark for identifying punishment (or negative punishment) as the learning
principle. Positive punishment was not an acceptable response (this relates to application of an
negative stimulus, rather than taking away a desired stimulus). The act of taking away a desired
activity/positive reinforcer as a consequence for an undesirable behaviour (i.e. not completing
homework) is what makes this punishment, rather than negative reinforcement. Students could
then gain another mark if they explained how punishing the undesirable behaviour (i.e. not doing
homework) might be effective in producing the desired response. This aspect of the question
focused on motivating a desired response. The best response to this aspect of the question was to
indicate that punishment of the undesirable behaviour may motivate Najida to do her homework so
as to avoid this punishment.

Is the answer produced by vcaa contradicting?? Can't tell whether it's saying negative reinforcement or punishment is the answer? Can someone explain please? THANK YOU!!
The answer means negative punishment or response cost.

Angelx001

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #977 on: November 01, 2017, 08:01:27 pm »
The answer means negative punishment or response cost.

Thank you !!!

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #978 on: November 01, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »
Do you guys use the terms positive punishment and negative punishment or punishment and response cost, respectively????

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #979 on: November 01, 2017, 08:30:11 pm »
Thank you !!!
I generally specify both by explicitly stating one and then putting the other version in brackets however it shouldn't matter.

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #980 on: November 01, 2017, 08:36:46 pm »
lol wrong quote

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #981 on: November 01, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »
Yes, but don't worry! All you need to know is that during stress, the hypothalamus stimulates the pituitary gland to release ACTH (a hormone) which travels through the blood stream, stimulating the adrenal gland to release cortisol. This response takes a few minutes to occur, but is very long lasting.

Can we use the abbreviation ACTH or is it not acceptable?

Angelx001

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #982 on: November 01, 2017, 08:39:34 pm »
Do we need to know about sprouting/ re- routing (adaptive plasticity)?

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #983 on: November 01, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »
Do we need to know about sprouting/ re- routing (adaptive plasticity)?
I have heard people saying that adaptive and developmental plasticity are not examinable however neural plasticity is. However further input would be appreciated.

oJL8A99A

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #984 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:21 pm »
Quick question - do Benzodiazepines MIMIC the role of GABA? or do they act selectively on GABA receptors increasing their inhibitory effects? Different sources giving different answers  :-\

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #985 on: November 01, 2017, 08:47:15 pm »
Can we use the abbreviation ACTH or is it not acceptable?

As far as I'm aware, examiners won't deduct a mark for using abbreviations. Especially in this case as ACTH isn't a huge part of the course.

But, if you happen to remember that ACTH stands for adrenocorticotropic hormone then definitely state it. :)

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #986 on: November 01, 2017, 08:48:11 pm »
Quick question - do Benzodiazepines MIMIC the role of GABA? or do they act selectively on GABA receptors increasing their inhibitory effects? Different sources giving different answers  :-\

i too was sooo confused at this, but if you look through previous posts, I asked this question and I got a reply that Bezodiazepines act as agonists, therefore they MIMIC GABA function. Anyone got differing thoughts on this?
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

emmaline

• Adventurer
« Reply #987 on: November 01, 2017, 08:55:11 pm »
do we need to know anything about the thalamus?

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #988 on: November 01, 2017, 08:55:58 pm »
i too was sooo confused at this, but if you look through previous posts, I asked this question and I got a reply that Bezodiazepines act as agonists, therefore they MIMIC GABA function. Anyone got differing thoughts on this?
Hard to tell but I'm pretty sure that the wording means that they directly affect the GABA receptors on the post-synaptic neuron by changing their shape to make them more receptive to the activity of GABA which means that the neurons are more likely to resist excitation and react more to inhibition. ie. it amplifies the effect of GABA

• Trailblazer
« Reply #989 on: November 01, 2017, 08:56:26 pm »
+1
Good luck to all the beautiful people on here for tomorrow!

Absolutely smash it !!!!