Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:33:18 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469718 times)  Share 

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Waverley Christian College
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #930 on: November 01, 2017, 03:32:04 pm »
Hey guys,
would question 13 (section b) of the 2016 exam paper be relevant to the current study design

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #931 on: November 01, 2017, 03:42:50 pm »
+1

Hey guys,
would question 13 (section b) of the 2016 exam paper be relevant to the current study design

Yes, you will need to be able to briefly design an experiment based on a given hypothesis

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #932 on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:17 pm »
+1
Guys how would you distinguish between something that is appraised as benign-positive or something that is viewed as a challenge? What's the difference? How would you define benign-positive?

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #933 on: November 01, 2017, 04:26:29 pm »
+1
Guys how would you distinguish between something that is appraised as benign-positive or something that is viewed as a challenge? What's the difference? How would you define benign-positive?

Benign-positive is when the stimuli/event is not stressful, but poses the potential for growth. It is usually associated with positive emotions. This evaluation is a part of the primary appraisal stage of the transactional model.

However, for a stressor to be viewed as a challenge, it must be primarily appraised as stressful. Then, a further mini-appraisal occurs (this is not a secondary appraisal) when the stimuli/event is assessed through its harm/loss, potential threat, and challenge. Challenge is the assessment for personal gain or growth.

So, a challenge is an evaluation for potential gain or growth from a stressful situation, whilst a benign-positive evaluation is the deduction that a stimuli/event poses growth, and is not stressful.

Hopefully that helps :)

kaii

• Trailblazer
« Reply #934 on: November 01, 2017, 04:28:58 pm »
Will the cortical areas of the brain  be assessed on the exam? I'm not sure if its included in the study design.
2016 - Biology
2017 - Chemistry | Methods | Psychology | English | HHD

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #935 on: November 01, 2017, 04:31:58 pm »
Will the cortical areas of the brain  be assessed on the exam? I'm not sure if its included in the study design.

Nope. Not in the study design! But make sure you know the roles of the hippocampus, cerebellum, amygdala and cerebral cortex in terms of memory formation.
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #936 on: November 01, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »
Does anyone know in which stages the Parasympathetic NS is active in the GAS? I know the Sympathetic NS is activated during counter-shock in the alarm reaction phase, and then the sympathetic nervous system is also active during the resistance stage, but apparently the parasympathetic nervous system is to?

2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |

theomccoy

• Adventurer
« Reply #937 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:43 pm »
Does anyone have a clear explanation of the role of glutamate in learning/memory?

I understand but can't put it into words to form a clear explanation! Pleaaase!

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #938 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:51 pm »
Does anyone know in which stages the Parasympathetic NS is active in the GAS? I know the Sympathetic NS is activated during counter-shock in the alarm reaction phase, and then the sympathetic nervous system is also active during the resistance stage, but apparently the parasympathetic nervous system is to?

During the resistance phase, the body attempts to adapt to the stressor. This involves the parasympathetic nervous system becoming active to reduce some of that initial arousal of the alarm reaction stage. :)

Edit: it’s important to note that both the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems can be active at the same time, performing different roles. One system is usually dominant though, and in the resistant phase, I think the dominant system would be the parasympathetic nervous system.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:52:23 pm by isobelj »

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #939 on: November 01, 2017, 05:02:32 pm »
+2

Does anyone have a clear explanation of the role of glutamate in learning/memory?

I understand but can't put it into words to form a clear explanation! Pleaaase!

If that were an exam question, here’s what I would say:

According to Hebb’s rule ‘neurons that fire together, wire together’, learning and memory occurs when an excitatory neurotransmitter is repeatedly sent across the synaptic gap which allows it to strengthen the connection between the two neurons. Because glutamate is the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain, it plays a large role in learning/memory by strengthening the adjacent neurons connections, and making them more likely to fire again together in the future. The continued strengthening of a synapse increases the efficiency of the message, decreasing the chance the information will be forgotten, and promoting learning and memory.

This answer definitely isn’t perfect though so if anyone would like to add on, please do

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #940 on: November 01, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »
On the exam do i refer to receptor sites being located on the dendrites of the post-synaptic neuron or the dendritic spines of the post-synaptic neuron.

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #941 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:09 pm »
+1
Okay I’m a bit confused now.. my textbook says ‘dream-like visual imagery’, would that not count as imagining something?
Alpha waves are associated with being awake and alert but still generally relaxed (particularly if eyes are closed).
Theta waves are associated with being drowsy OR creative tasks/imaginative activities. It is uncommon during NWC except for creativity.

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #942 on: November 01, 2017, 05:29:53 pm »
Alpha waves are associated with being awake and alert but still generally relaxed (particularly if eyes are closed).
Theta waves are associated with being drowsy OR creative tasks/imaginative activities. It is uncommon during NWC except for creativity.

However daydreaming is an altered-state of consciousness that occurs, and an EEG would detect mostly alpha-like waves..

theomccoy

• Adventurer
« Reply #943 on: November 01, 2017, 05:32:00 pm »
If that were an exam question, here’s what I would say:

According to Hebb’s rule ‘neurons that fire together, wire together’, learning and memory occurs when an excitatory neurotransmitter is repeatedly sent across the synaptic gap which allows it to strengthen the connection between the two neurons. Because glutamate is the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain, it plays a large role in learning/memory by strengthening the adjacent neurons connections, and making them more likely to fire again together in the future. The continued strengthening of a synapse increases the efficiency of the message, decreasing the chance the information will be forgotten, and promoting learning and memory.

This answer definitely isn’t perfect though so if anyone would like to add on, please do

thanks legend! this helped heaps.

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #944 on: November 01, 2017, 05:34:18 pm »
PLEASE HELP!

Does the hippocampus/cerebellum/amygdala also retrieve memories?

Does the cerebral cortex permanently store procedural memories, or just temporarily store them?