Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:36:04 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469795 times)  Share 

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #900 on: October 31, 2017, 08:52:07 pm »
+1
How would you guys describe the steps in a spinal reflext? like what key terms MUST we use??

Perhaps the following;

Example; touching hot pan
Sensory receptors detect the heat of the pan and this sensory information travels via sensory neurons to the spinal cord. Interneurons in the spinal cord relay this information to motor neurons. Motor information travels via motor neurons to the hand causing a withdrawal reflex of the hand from the hot pan. Depending on the depth of the question, you might also like to add that as this spinal reflex is occurring, sensory neurons would convey the sensory message further up to the brain, where this information would be received/processed and felt as pain after the withdrawal reflex occurs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:53:39 pm by 31415926535 »

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #901 on: October 31, 2017, 09:02:05 pm »
+1
Perhaps the following;

Example; touching hot pan
Sensory receptors detect the heat of the pan and this sensory information travels via sensory neurons to the spinal cord. Interneurons in the spinal cord relay this information to motor neurons. Motor information travels via motor neurons to the hand causing a withdrawal reflex of the hand from the hot pan. Depending on the depth of the question, you might also like to add that as this spinal reflex is occurring, sensory neurons would convey the sensory message further up to the brain, where this information would be received/processed and felt as pain after the withdrawal reflex occurs.
When you mention that "sensory neurons would convey the sensory message further up to the brain", I think that would be incorrect as it is the spinal cord that connects the brain with the peripheral nervous system, and hence it would be the interneurons in the spinal cord that relay the sensory information up to the brain.

• Trailblazer
« Reply #902 on: October 31, 2017, 09:14:37 pm »
When you mention that "sensory neurons would convey the sensory message further up to the brain", I think that would be incorrect as it is the spinal cord that connects the brain with the peripheral nervous system, and hence it would be the interneurons in the spinal cord that relay the sensory information up to the brain.

That's a good point, but I thought that interneurons only convey information between motor and sensory neurons, therefore they can't 'relay' information as such.

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #903 on: October 31, 2017, 09:21:39 pm »
+1
That's a good point, but I thought that interneurons only convey information between motor and sensory neurons, therefore they can't 'relay' information as such.

Predominantly in the brain, there are no sensory or motor neurons, only interneurons. Therefore I believe its more correct to state that interneurons relay the message regarding the stimuli to the brain, in which the brain interprets the stimuli as pain.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:24:47 pm by Globe »
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #904 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:36 pm »
+1
Sorry for the multitude of questions, but...

Are circadian rhythm disorders (e.g. jet lag) considered as a parasomnia or dysomnia or neither??

cause on one of my exams I have a 10 marker asking to explain the difference between dysomnias and parasomnias w/ reference to an example and I was wondering if I could talk about jet lag and shift work etc. and if not what else I could talk about for 10 marks?
Circadian phase disorders aren't considered either

Things to discuss:
-what is a dysomnia
-what is sleep onset insomnia
-what negative impacts can it have
-how can it be treated
-sleep hygiene
-what is a parasomnia
-what is sleepwalking
-when is it most likely to occur
-what ages is it most common for
-parasomnia can lead to dysomnia but not the other way around

Remember that the response isn't scored in the usual dot-point method, and instead high-med-low

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #905 on: October 31, 2017, 10:05:57 pm »
Circadian phase disorders aren't considered either

Things to discuss:
-what is a dysomnia
-what is sleep onset insomnia
-how can it be treated
-sleep hygiene
-what is a parasomnia
-what is sleepwalking
-when is it most likely to occur
-what ages is it most common for
-parasomnia can lead to dysomnia but not the other way around

Remember that the response isn't scored in the usual dot-point method, and instead high-med-low

What would be the negative effects of sleep walking?

Also, its most common in children right? does anyone know a reason for this?

Also, is there any way to reduce it?

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #906 on: October 31, 2017, 10:29:37 pm »
also guys,

is this correct: the amygdala is involved in the encoding and formation of emotional memories and the cerebellum is involved in the encoding, formation and storage of procedural memories such as conditioned reflexes.

So the fear response may be formed in the amygdala then stored in the cerebellum. right?

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #907 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:36 am »
+1
also guys,

is this correct: the amygdala is involved in the encoding and formation of emotional memories and the cerebellum is involved in the encoding, formation and storage of procedural memories such as conditioned reflexes.

So the fear response may be formed in the amygdala then stored in the cerebellum. right?

As far as I know, all memories (implicit or explicit) are stored in the cerebral cortex, but the amygdala as you said encodes conditioned emotional responses. I'm not too sure whether it retrieves conditioned emotional response (but I know that it definitely retrieves explicit memories) because I know for sure that the cerebellum is involved in the encoding and retrieval of implicit memories.

theomccoy

• Adventurer
« Reply #908 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:34 am »
Hi! I have been confused about the length of the sleep stages in the first cycle vs the total length of the average sleep cycle, because they don't add up to make 90 minutes.

How long on average is each stage?

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #909 on: November 01, 2017, 10:11:25 am »
Just a quick question,
is LTD a result of weak low frequency stimulation of pre synaptic axon terminal or post synaptic axon terminal?

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #910 on: November 01, 2017, 10:25:32 am »
Just a quick question,
is LTD a result of weak low frequency stimulation of pre synaptic axon terminal or post synaptic axon terminal?

presynaptic axon terminal

oJL8A99A

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #911 on: November 01, 2017, 10:58:54 am »
Quick questions?

Is the challenge component of the Lazarus and Folkman model considered eustress or distress? Whereas, are threat and harm/loss considered distress? I've been hearing this from sample answers for the 2017 sample and I just want to confirm. I've never heard it expressed like this before.

Also, where are emotional classically conditioned memories (such as Little Albert's fear of white rats) stored; the cerebellum or amygdala? Would it be better to say that the amygala plays a role in the encoding, storage, and retrieval of emotional classically conditioned responses rather than giving a definite answer? I know simple reflexes from CC are stored in the cerebellum (such as blinking your eye at a puff of air) but not sure about emotional ones.

Good luck for tomorrow  :)

• Forum Regular
« Reply #912 on: November 01, 2017, 11:44:53 am »
so for theta waves they can be present when doing a creative activity
what is an example of this?
For instance if painting, that is 'creative' but i would not think that it involves theta waves

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #913 on: November 01, 2017, 11:59:31 am »
Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is going well with their final study!! Best of luck for tomorrow :)

Just some quick questions:

1. When Stratified Sampling is done by a researcher, is random sampling used to select participants from each stratum?

2. Is there any difference between matched participants and independent groups, other than the fact that participants are matched on one of more participant variable in matched participants?

2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #914 on: November 01, 2017, 12:39:34 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is going well with their final study!! Best of luck for tomorrow :)

Just some quick questions:

1. When Stratified Sampling is done by a researcher, is random sampling used to select participants from each stratum?
It can be. This is called random-stratified sampling.

2. Is there any difference between matched participants and independent groups, other than the fact that participants are matched on one of more participant variable in matched participants?
Not really- there is a pretest involved to pair up participants based on the relevant characteristics (in a matched-participants design)