Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:51:46 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469953 times)  Share 

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #855 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:00 pm »
I think that you wouldn't get full marks, because you didn't explain how it would alleviate her stress, and that's what the question is asking for

What would you suggest writing to say how it would alleviate her stress?

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #856 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:53 pm »
+1
What is a good definition for the evolutionary theory of sleep?

And what are 2 (good, easy to understand) pieces of evidence?

Thanks!

The evolutionary theory of sleep proposes that sleep evolved to enhance survival by protecting an organism by making it inactive during the part of the day where they are most at threat.

Evidence that supports this theory includes:

Smaller animals with a large number of predators tend to sleep longer than larger animals with a small amount of predators.
Humans sleep at night as we are not well equipped to see in the dark, making us more vulnerable to harm.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:42:29 pm by Globe »
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #857 on: October 30, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »
What is a good definition for the evolutionary theory of sleep?

And what are 2 (good, easy to understand) pieces of evidence?

Thanks!

can someone answer this for restorative purpose of sleep too please

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #858 on: October 30, 2017, 10:00:35 pm »

Restorative theory of sleep proposes that sleep allows our body's physical and mental resources to be replenished from activities that occur throughout normal-waking-consciousness.

Evidence:
Marathon runners spend more time asleep (stage 3/4 NREM) the night after conducting a marathon, in order to replenish their body's physical resouces.

I can't think of a second point of evidence for this theory.... maybe someone else can write one down :))
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:02:13 pm by Globe »
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #859 on: October 30, 2017, 10:10:32 pm »
+1
What would you suggest writing to say how it would alleviate her stress?
I think you could approach this in a few different ways such as:
-having access to additional resources from this group resulting in reappraisal

- or tack on a "thereby reducing the signifance of the stressor and therefore the threat it poses" line

Proposes that the purpose of sleep is to facillitate growth and repair.

-REM is for psychological
-NREM is for physiological

Evidence for this includes
-marathon runners tend to sleep longer after a competition
-newborns spending a lot of time in REM (lots of mental growth as a newborn)
-feeling refreshed after waking up in the morning

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #860 on: October 30, 2017, 10:15:27 pm »
Evidence for this includes
-marathon runners tend to sleep longer after a competition
-newborns spending a lot of time in REM (lots of mental growth as a newborn)
-feeling refreshed after waking up in the morning

Could another possible piece of evidence be that we experience REM rebound following a period of sleep/REM deprivation?

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #861 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:36 pm »
Could someone describe what the decisional balance is in terms of the Transtheoretical Model of Behaviour Change? It's not even discussed in my textbook. Do we need to explain it in terms of each of the 5 stages?

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #862 on: October 30, 2017, 10:24:06 pm »
+1
Could someone describe what the decisional balance is in terms of the Transtheoretical Model of Behaviour Change? It's not even discussed in my textbook. Do we need to explain it in terms of each of the 5 stages?

I found some notes on it. It's pretty much just that if the pros in favour of behaviour change outweigh the cons for change, then a person may be more likely to make a change in their behaviour. If the cons of changing outweighs the pros of changing, then no behaviour change will be initiated.

We don't need to know this for VCE purposes, from what I've heard this is at uni level :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:27:18 pm by jrose006 »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #863 on: October 31, 2017, 01:12:40 am »
+3
Didn't do psych, so will trust jrose006 that this is out of the VCE scope. :)

If you're curious about it, I've studied it at uni, and will expand on it a bit - basically decisional balance is essentially just the pros and cons of the behaviour change, as jrose006 touched on. And this shifts as you move along the stages - in pre-contemplation, the cons outweight the pros. In contemplation, the pros and cons generally carry a pretty equal weighting. However, in the preparation and action stages, the pros outweigh the cons (I think the fact that the pros outweigh the cons is what makes people move into these stages). And as you move into the maintenance stage - the pros of maintaining the change generally should outweigh the cons (to avoid relapse).

Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of how it all fits in and lays it out pretty nicely. :)

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #864 on: October 31, 2017, 08:34:54 am »
Guys, I'm really confused about this question that my teacher gave:

A number of devices are often used to monitor sleep patterns in sleep clinics.
Name one of these devices, list what it measures and clearly explain how its recordings can distinguish between REM and NREM sleep.

Then she wrote a note saying: The EMG would not be an appropriate instrument because - these answers demonstrate a key point that these devices detect, amplify and record electrical activity, not movement.

Um? I thought that EMG measured the electrical activity of the muscles in the body???
So confused...

I don't trust my teacher anyway. So I'll ask you guys, the EMG can be used right? because it literally has 'electro' in the name.

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #865 on: October 31, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
+1
Guys, I'm really confused about this question that my teacher gave:

A number of devices are often used to monitor sleep patterns in sleep clinics.
Name one of these devices, list what it measures and clearly explain how its recordings can distinguish between REM and NREM sleep.

Then she wrote a note saying: The EMG would not be an appropriate instrument because - these answers demonstrate a key point that these devices detect, amplify and record electrical activity, not movement.

Um? I thought that EMG measured the electrical activity of the muscles in the body???
So confused...

I don't trust my teacher anyway. So I'll ask you guys, the EMG can be used right? because it literally has 'electro' in the name.

Yeh you're right, it does. The electrical activity comes from movement- the higher the electrical activity, the more movement there is in the muscles of the body.
I'm not really sure what your teacher is trying to say?

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #866 on: October 31, 2017, 09:43:23 am »
how would you define/describe sleep/wake shifts in adolescents, shift work and jet lag?

Also, what do we need to know about sleepwalking and sleep onset insomnia?

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #867 on: October 31, 2017, 10:05:15 am »
+2
how would you define/describe sleep/wake shifts in adolescents, shift work and jet lag?

Also, what do we need to know about sleepwalking and sleep onset insomnia?

First question:
well firstly they are circadian rhythm phase disorders.
Sleep: is a reversible behavioral state of perceptual disengagement from and unresponsiveness to the environment.

Sleep-wake cycle shift in adolescents: is the change in the timing of the major sleep episode. Also referred to as the delayed sleep phase disorder because the entire sleep-wake cycle is delayed by 1-2 hours resulting in teenagers going to sleep later and waking up later (due to delayed release of melatonin).
Shift-work: main thing you need to know is that a fixed schedule for workers is better than a rotating schedule so that they are not constantly resetting the circadian sleep-wake cycle.
Jet lag: is a sleep disorder due to a disturbance in the circadian sleep-wake cycle caused by rapid travel across multiple time zones. Also flying west is best due to phase-delay where the day is lengthened in the country you are arriving in allowing you to better adjust yourself to the new sleep-wake cycle (as compared to phase-advance where the day is shortened).

2nd question:
Sleep walking (parasomnia):  involves getting up from bed and walking about or performing other behaviors while asleep.
Sleep-onset insomnia(dyssomnia): involves persistent difficult falling asleep at the usual sleep time.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #868 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:46 am »
Thanks!!
One more quick question,
0.05 BAC is the same as 17 hours of sleep deprivation
0.1 BAC same as 24 hours sleep deprivation.

Is that right?

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #869 on: October 31, 2017, 10:51:11 am »
Thanks!!
One more quick question,
0.05 BAC is the same as 17 hours of sleep deprivation
0.1 BAC same as 24 hours sleep deprivation.

Is that right?

Yep.