Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:31:04 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469765 times)  Share 

dsabeta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #510 on: July 16, 2017, 04:12:28 pm »
+1
Hey guys, I have a question regarding my ERA title.
I've conducted an experiment where I basically conditioned my cat using operant conditioning, however my teacher told me that the title doesn't jump out at her and to try and twist it somehow in order to make it more eye-catching and interesting, but I'm finding it quite difficult to do so hahaha.
SO, I'm currently stuck with "Can you condition a cat to associate the sound of a bell with receiving a treat?". Is there ANY way I can make this title more appealing?  :'(
Any help is appreciated!!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:14:58 pm by dsabeta »
2017: Psychology |
2018: English | BusMan | Legal | HHD |  Revolutions |
2019: Bachelor of Law/Criminology @ LaTrobe

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #511 on: July 17, 2017, 06:49:24 pm »
+3
I've conducted an experiment where I basically conditioned my cat using operant conditioning, however my teacher told me that the title doesn't jump out at her and to try and twist it somehow in order to make it more eye-catching and interesting, but I'm finding it quite difficult to do so hahaha.
SO, I'm currently stuck with "Can you condition a cat to associate the sound of a bell with receiving a treat?". Is there ANY way I can make this title more appealing?  :'(

Tough one. There's no obvious answer. Everything I come up with is as long and convoluted as yours, if not worse.

E.g. Can a cat learn to associate the sound of a bell with receiving a treat using operant conditioning? or Can operant conditioning be used to condition a cat to associate the sound of a bell with receiving a treat?

Neither of them are overly good, I'm afraid :(

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #512 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:10 pm »
+1

Maybe "Can cats be classically conditioned?"

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #513 on: July 18, 2017, 07:22:38 pm »
+1
Okay- dumb question:

I still can't figure out the difference between physiological and psychological?

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #514 on: July 18, 2017, 07:26:28 pm »
+2
Okay- dumb question:

I still can't figure out the difference between physiological and psychological?

No such thing as a dumb question :)

The way I remember it is this (it's not very sciency):
Physiological - in the body (e.g. increased heart rate, breathing rate, blood pressure, body temp etc.)
Psychological - in the brain

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #515 on: July 18, 2017, 07:50:53 pm »
+1
Okay- dumb question:

physiological -> physical
eg sweating, increased heart rate, trembling
psychological -> mental
eg anxiety, difficulty concentrating

Some can be both eg being tired

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #516 on: July 18, 2017, 10:57:11 pm »
+2
ughhh how would I be survivig year 12 if there was no Atar notes to clarify everthing for me??? Thanks Howey and miniturtle!!!!!!!  :) ;)

raaginim

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #517 on: July 19, 2017, 11:16:50 am »
1. For psychological and physiological, isn't an EEG physiological even though it has to do with the brain or is it psychological?
2. Is video monitoring a methods of subjective reporting or objective?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #518 on: July 19, 2017, 11:27:47 pm »
1. For psychological and physiological, isn't an EEG physiological even though it has to do with the brain or is it psychological?
2. Is video monitoring a methods of subjective reporting or objective?

1. Yes an EEG is physiological. It is 'in the brain' but it is not psychological. Another way to think about is that physiological is things you can see (whether by eye or with machinery) whereas psychological you can't see but it can cause physiological reactions (eg. anxiety (psycho.) causing a faster heart rate(physio))

2. Video monitoring is objective because it is not dependant on the individual. Think about it this way. Subjective = subject to the participants opinions/views etc. Objective = Object; can be experienced the same way by many people.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #519 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:16 am »
HEY psych students!

I was just wondering where I can find the template for the research methods poster (we have to base our research methods SAC of it)
Thanks

gabrielx458

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #520 on: July 21, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »
I'm doing Recall vs. Recognition for my psych investigation poster and having trouble identifying how my IV (recall condition and recognition condition) and my DV (how many nonsense syllables are reproduced) will be measured?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #521 on: July 21, 2017, 09:29:17 pm »
+2
I'm doing Recall vs. Recognition for my psych investigation poster and having trouble identifying how my IV (recall condition and recognition condition) and my DV (how many nonsense syllables are reproduced) will be measured?

I did the same thing :)

For operationalising the DV I did something like: "The number of randomly generated nonsense syllables accurately identified from a previously shown list"
There are definitely also other ways to achieve this.
What exactly are you going to do to be testing recognition rather than recall (or vice versa)? Answering that question should give you your answer for the IV
If you're still stuck let me know and I'll help you with it

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #522 on: July 23, 2017, 10:53:40 am »
+4

As miniturtle said above, the DV would be something like 'The number of nonsense syllables correctly identified from a list of nonsense syllables that was previously shown'.
Depending on how exactly you're doing your experiment, the IV would differ a little bit. For recognition, you might mention how many words are in the list etc., whereas for recall, you might talk about how long they have to recall the words, whether they are writing them etc.

cvkn

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #523 on: July 23, 2017, 09:31:24 pm »
I need help! What is the difference between phobia and specific phobia? According to textbook definitions they kinda mean the same thing.....

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #524 on: July 24, 2017, 04:53:22 pm »
+2
I need help! What is the difference between phobia and specific phobia? According to textbook definitions they kinda mean the same thing.....

In my opinion, I would take them to mean the same thing (I do).