Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:19 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469647 times)  Share 

amigos

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #480 on: June 27, 2017, 03:02:13 pm »
Questions:

Are amplitude and frequency only used to measure the brains electrical activity in regards to EEG? Are they used to measure electrical activity in EOG and EMG? ( basically, are amplitude and frequency used in EOG,EMG and EEG? or is it used only in EEG?)

Why is consciousness placed on a continuum?

:) :)

Not really sure, but I would assume amplitude and frequency are used only in EEGs, as they're measures of brain waves and thus irrelevant to EOGs and EMGs.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:21:23 pm by amigos »

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #481 on: June 27, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »
+2
As touched on above, noradrenaline, although adrenaline also plays a role.

Just a clarification/correction here (looking back over my stuff and the study design) that adrenaline is the primary neurohormone involved in the consolidation of emotional memories, although noradrenaline does play a significant role as well.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #482 on: June 28, 2017, 10:02:38 pm »
Hey again!!!
I just had a question, so since when we’re watching like a tv show we love or playing a game, and we sort of get addicted to it, are we paying focused attention to it, since we don't really tend to be aware of other things that might be going around us? Because if we are, then how come we tend to lose track of time?  Isn’t that like a trait of an altered state of consciousness? Or is it also losing track of time another thing associated with focused attention like the reduced awareness of our surroundings?
Thanks !
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2017, 07:17:13 pm »
+2
Hey again!!!
I just had a question, so since when we’re watching like a tv show we love or playing a game, and we sort of get addicted to it, are we paying focused attention to it, since we don't really tend to be aware of other things that might be going around us? Because if we are, then how come we tend to lose track of time?  Isn’t that like a trait of an altered state of consciousness? Or is it also losing track of time another thing associated with focused attention like the reduced awareness of our surroundings?
Thanks !

Yes, if you're closely watching a TV show or a game, then you would be using focused/selective attention. However, you would definitely still be in NWC, not an ASC. Even though you might lose track of time to some extent and have slightly reduced awareness, when you are using selective/focused attention you are still in NWC. This is probably because the distorted sense of time and reduced awareness isn't as significant as in an ASC (e.g. if you compare it to sleep, when you have basically no track of time and very little awareness).

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2017, 09:12:29 am »
Is there any difference between automatic processes and autonomic processes? If not, are they interchangeable and can they both be accepted by VCAA?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:35 am »
+3
Is there any difference between automatic processes and autonomic processes? If not, are they interchangeable and can they both be accepted by VCAA?

Yes, there are differences. Autonomic processes are carried out by the autonomic nervous system; whereas, automatic processes occur with minimal or no attention or conscious effort. Another way to think about automatic processes is that you can complete two automatic processes concurrently

In terms of awareness we talk about activities such as an experienced rider maintaining balance on a bike as being an automatic process, but doing this uses the skeletal muscles which are controlled by the somatic NS not the autonomic NS.

raaginim

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #486 on: July 05, 2017, 12:34:26 am »
+1
1.Difference between synaptogenesis and circuit formation and neurogenesis?
2. Stimulus discrimination and response discrimination same thing or different?
3. Are LTP and LTD adaptive plasticity or developmental plasticity?
4. Do we need to know about the consolidation theory? On the forum on ATAR notes it days it is removed from this years study design but in out textbook (oxford) there is information on it.
Thank you so much!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:09:26 pm by raaginim »

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #487 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:44 pm »
+1
I have a few questions:

- Is sleep deprivation considered to be an ASC?
-How can a sleep diary be indicative of the state of consciousness someone is in?
-Is video monitoring and objective measure or a subjective measure?

Thanks

mishs

• Adventurer
« Reply #488 on: July 06, 2017, 07:28:28 pm »
+1
Hey Ashjames!
I believe sleep deprivation CAUSES an ASC but in itself isn't technically an ASC.
Does that make sense?
Wikipedia (yes, yes I know I shouldn't use it but w/e) says "that can cause ASC includes sleep deprivation. This refers to the loss of sleep that will provoke possible seizures, caused by fatigue. Sleep deprivation can be chronic or short-term depending on the severity of the patient’s condition. Many patients can even report hallucinations because sleep deprivation impacts the brain as well. A Harvard Medical school study conducted in 2007, also indicated with the use of MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) that a sleep-deprived brain was not capable of being in control of its sensorimotor functions.[35] Therefore, there was impairment to the patient’s self-awareness. Patients were also prone to be a lot clumsier than if had they not been experiencing sleep deprivation."

I think it's a bit of a grey area, so unless you REALLY have to use it in a response or as an example, I'd steer clear of it and look for simpler, more clear cut examples.

Hope that helped!

andrew_loka

• Adventurer
« Reply #489 on: July 07, 2017, 11:20:24 am »
Hey guys,
Just a quick insight on my situation. Unit 3 has finished and Tbh I got average scores so I'm looking to lift heaps in unit 4. Any tips on what I should be doing? Currently, in preparation, i've been doing some practise questions after I make notes on the topic that we study. Also, I've been wondering where I can get unit 4 practise sacs from.
Thanks heaps!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #490 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:15 pm »
I have a few questions:

- Is sleep deprivation considered to be an ASC?
-How can a sleep diary be indicative of the state of consciousness someone is in?
-Is video monitoring and objective measure or a subjective measure?

Thanks

Self diaries record a persons (beliefs about their) pattern of behaviour in regards to sleep. For example, the person may be instructed to shade in boxes which hours during which they were asleep, to draw a downwards arrow when they think they fell asleep, and draw an up arrow when they have had caffeine. There may be other symbols for things like food, drink, exercise etc.   This is then given to a researcher who will interpret the data.

Video monitoring is subjective as it is open to interpretation. For example someone might watch the person shift position a lot and say "they're restless" another might say "they were having a bad dream" and another might say "they felt uncomfortable and were shifting to a different position"

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #491 on: July 07, 2017, 02:49:58 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
Just a quick insight on my situation. Unit 3 has finished and Tbh I got average scores so I'm looking to lift heaps in unit 4. Any tips on what I should be doing? Currently, in preparation, i've been doing some practise questions after I make notes on the topic that we study. Also, I've been wondering where I can get unit 4 practise sacs from.
Thanks heaps!

Hey Andrew!!!
Its totally okay if you didn't do as well as you wished in Unit 3 - those marks were a realty check for you, and know it's great that you have realized that you need to improve!!

I know it can be a bit daunting with these marks, but if you slay unit 4 and the exam you'll be fine!!

Regarding Unit 4 practice SAC's I've got a few and I can link them for you here.However, the key to success in unit 4 is knowing the content back-to-front. Also, what made you get those average marks in unit 3?? was it because you weren't studying sufficiently? Or maybe it was last minute studying? Figure out your areas of weaknesses and work on them!

Remember nobody perfect!! We learn from our mistakes and practice makes perfect!! [just a bunch of cliches to cheer you up!]

Also- Apparently I am only allowed to post 4 attachments. However if you are interested in more quizzes and SAC's for unit 4, shot me an email: [email protected]

andrew_loka

• Adventurer
« Reply #492 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »

Hey Andrew!!!
Its totally okay if you didn't do as well as you wished in Unit 3 - those marks were a realty check for you, and know it's great that you have realized that you need to improve!!

I know it can be a bit daunting with these marks, but if you slay unit 4 and the exam you'll be fine!!

Regarding Unit 4 practice SAC's I've got a few and I can link them for you here.However, the key to success in unit 4 is knowing the content back-to-front. Also, what made you get those average marks in unit 3?? was it because you weren't studying sufficiently? Or maybe it was last minute studying? Figure out your areas of weaknesses and work on them!

Remember nobody perfect!! We learn from our mistakes and practice makes perfect!! [just a bunch of cliches to cheer you up!]

Also- Apparently I am only allowed to post 4 attachments. However if you are interested in more quizzes and SAC's for unit 4, shot me an email: [email protected]

Hey!
Thanks heaps for replying :) I think my problem is wording the questions correctly and time management in SACs (more-so the wording probably cause I picked it up in 3/4 without doing 1/2). I feel like I know the answers but the specific words that need to be there I don't know so I end up explaining it in the answer which makes me drop marks here and there. Thanks heaps for the practise SACs I know I have my sleep and consciousness SAC coming up soon after holidays and then my ERA so hopefully, I can lift up a lot more this unit!
Aiming high!

madhu04

• Adventurer
« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am not even sure if I am asking my question in the correct place! But I am giving it a shot!

I have two questions (it is taken out from a extended response question) ! Can anyone please answer them?

1) Give Explanation of at least two physiological differences between NWC and an ASC.
2) Explanation of another factor that may lead to any identified differences that is not due to being in altered state.

Thanks guys  :) :D

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #494 on: July 08, 2017, 09:25:41 am »
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am not even sure if I am asking my question in the correct place! But I am giving it a shot!

I have two questions (it is taken out from a extended response question) ! Can anyone please answer them?

1) Give Explanation of at least two physiological differences between NWC and an ASC.
2) Explanation of another factor that may lead to any identified differences that is not due to being in altered state.

Thanks guys  :) :D

Yes you're in the right place. Welcome to AN. I'm a bit rusty on psychology so correct me if i'm wrong also these aren't the best examples for question 1 but it would be something like:
1. 2 physiological differences between NWC and ASC is that in NWC there is an increased heart rate and higher body temperature than when in an ASC. (explain)
2. The increased body temperature could be due to a high air temperature.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra