Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:49:12 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469827 times)  Share 

nt2387

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #375 on: October 25, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »

Q. Accepted duration of STM? Also for the duration of LTM is it unlimited or indefinite? Or are they interchangeable?

Duration of STM: 12-30 seconds
Duration of LTM: relatively permanent.

I think indefinite is fine, but unlimited is used to describe capacity only.
2015: Accounting 49 | Sociology 44

2016: Psychology 49 | English 45 | Chemistry 45 | Methods 41     ATAR: 99.55

TUTORING 2017 - PM if interested!

TooLazy

• Trendsetter
  • 2014 Forest Hills Drive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #376 on: October 25, 2016, 07:55:16 pm »
+2
Does anyone know why EEG recordings are quantitative data only?

Like I understand its quantitative because it is measured in waves per second etc.
But cant it be qualitative too? Eg if you categorise it into beta, alpha ... and so on. Isnt that a qualitative trait?
Future engineer

Pineapple66

• Adventurer
« Reply #377 on: October 25, 2016, 10:19:17 pm »
Duration of STM: 12-30 seconds
Duration of LTM: relatively permanent.

I think indefinite is fine, but unlimited is used to describe capacity only.

thanks! :)

Does anyone know why EEG recordings are quantitative data only?

Like I understand its quantitative because it is measured in waves per second etc.
But cant it be qualitative too? Eg if you categorise it into beta, alpha ... and so on. Isnt that a qualitative trait?

I'm not sure but I think it's because Qualitative is more..subjective? Like emotional state, difficulty of a task etc whereas the reason physiological recordings are so reliable is because its quantitative and the least subjective. Even the labels beta, alpha etc are based on the quantitative measurements of the waves' frequency and amplitude, in other words external criterion. So I don't think these labels are qualitative, but rather just a way to simplify expressing the quantitative characteristics of the waves (instead of saying "waves with high amplitude and low frequency" every time you want to talk about Delta waves.)

ahhh I'm so nervous about psych :S

MandhreeE

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #378 on: October 26, 2016, 01:46:40 pm »
hi guys would someone mind clarifying developmental and adaptive plasticity for me. I always seem to get confused. like with developmental plasticity is it only during childhood? and with the adaptive is it only when we experience damage to the brain?
thank you.
Hope everyone smashed English!!

qwertyu1234567

• Trailblazer
  • School: abc
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #379 on: October 26, 2016, 02:21:02 pm »
Hi guys,
Could someone please explain the difference between stratified sampling and random-stratified sampling?
Thanks so much and good luck for tomorrow :)

deejay9

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #380 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:58 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
Could someone please explain the difference between stratified sampling and random-stratified sampling?
Thanks so much and good luck for tomorrow :)

Stratified sampling:
- Divide the population into strata based on relevant characteristics
- Select a sample from each stratum using the same proportions as the population

Random-stratified:
- Randomly select a sample from each stratum using the same proportions as the population

E.g. There's 300 people in my population and I divide them into 3 strata based on eye colour - brown (100 people), green (100 people) and blue (100 people). I want a sample of 30, so I would need 10 people from each stratum so that the proportions are the same. Using stratified sampling, I would just pick the first 10 from each stratum without any attempt to make sure that everyone has an equal chance. Using random-stratified, I would assign each person a number and then randomly select my 10 using a random number generator or something.
2015: Legal Studies [46]
2016: English [44] | Psych [43] | Revolutions [48] | Further [46] | Methods [35]
ATAR: 99.0

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #381 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:04 pm »
Stratified sampling:
- Select a sample from each stratum using the same proportions as the population

Random-stratified:
- Randomly select a sample from each stratum using the same proportions as the population

E.g. There's 300 people in my population and I divide them into 3 strata based on eye colour - brown (100 people), green (100 people) and blue (100 people). I want a sample of 30, so I would need 10 people from each stratum so that the proportions are the same. Using stratified sampling, I would just pick the first 10 from each stratum without any attempt to make sure that everyone has an equal chance. Using random-stratified, I would assign each person a number and then randomly select my 10 using a random number generator or something.

Thank you!! even tho i didnt ask the question your answer clarified my thoughts! :D

hi guys would someone mind clarifying developmental and adaptive plasticity for me. I always seem to get confused. like with developmental plasticity is it only during childhood? and with the adaptive is it only when we experience damage to the brain?
thank you.
Hope everyone smashed English!!

Not entirely correct, yes developmental plasticity is more extensive throughout childhood and generally diminishes with age, but adaptive plasticity is ALSO more extensive, substantial and quicker during childhood, the difference here is that developmental refers to maturation, synaptogenisis and synaptic pruning and, once again, diminishes with age, whereas adaptive refers to changes in neural structures to adapt/compensate for brain damage and  can occur during any time in our lifespan.
Basically just be cautious when saying "only" cause that limits your answer and could cost you a mark. So say 'generally' for a more accurate answer (ironic)
Also just a quick tip my teacher taught me, when you're uncertain in a mc question, avoid circling the ones that use "always" or "only" because they're normally are trying to throw you off by sounding right, but the word "only" or "always" makes the option wrong, if that makes sense? This tip has saved me in SO many trials, so i really trust it!
hope that helped  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:57:49 pm by FatimaEl »
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

qwertyu1234567

• Trailblazer
  • School: abc
« Reply #382 on: October 26, 2016, 03:13:38 pm »
Stratified sampling:

Random-stratified:

Thanks!!

Also, just to confirm is this correct?
- Synaptogenesis and synaptic pruning occur in developmental plasticity
- Rerouting and sprouting occur in adaptive plasticity

deejay9

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #383 on: October 26, 2016, 03:17:58 pm »
Thanks!!

Yes that's correct!
2016: English [44] | Psych [43] | Revolutions [48] | Further [46] | Methods [35]

nt2387

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #384 on: October 26, 2016, 03:20:05 pm »
Thanks!!

Yes that is correct.

Also synaptogenesis and *synaptic pruning* occur in adaptive plasticity as well, since adaptive plasticity is just the ability for the brain to change in response to experience.

*Not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:24:07 pm by nt2387 »

MandhreeE

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #385 on: October 26, 2016, 03:25:55 pm »
thank you! just another question with the HPA axis is it correct to say that when an individual is experiencing stress both the flight/fight and HPA axis is activated the when the F/F response is activated it provides immediate action and the HPA axis  provides a more long term response? OR perhaps a better way of asking my question is what is the difference between the HPA axis and the flight/fight reponse.
Thank you!!

BLTCC

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Notre Dame College
« Reply #386 on: October 26, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »
Hi! Any tips for completing the extended response section when it is pretty much a "create your own"??
Thanks heaps

MandhreeE

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #387 on: October 26, 2016, 03:37:32 pm »
Do we need to know about the General Adaptation Syndrome? If so would someone mind explaining what it is ?
Thank you

deejay9

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #388 on: October 26, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
Do we need to know about the General Adaptation Syndrome? If so would someone mind explaining what it is ?
Thank you

It's not in the study design anywhere, so I wouldn't worry. I don't even think it's mentioned in the Grivas textbook as it was taken out of the course in 2013.

thank you! just another question with the HPA axis is it correct to say that when an individual is experiencing stress both the flight/fight and HPA axis is activated the when the F/F response is activated it provides immediate action and the HPA axis  provides a more long term response? OR perhaps a better way of asking my question is what is the difference between the HPA axis and the flight/fight reponse.
Thank you!!

When a stressor/threat is perceived, the fight-flight response is activated immediately. If the stressor/threat persists and is long-term, the body needs to activate other physiological responses, so the HPA axis is activated. So basically, the HPA axis is activated for chronic stressors because the body can't sustain the fight-flight response for long periods.

nt2387

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #389 on: October 26, 2016, 03:46:01 pm »
Thank you!!
HPA axis isn't on the study design. I wouldn't stress over it.