Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:46:08 am

Author Topic: Is it too late for me to achieve a 75+?  (Read 1854 times)  Share 

Cullgun

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Is it too late for me to achieve a 75+?
« on: July 16, 2019, 04:21:27 am »
Hey guys,

This year hasn't been going really grand for me due to personal and familial problems. With these marks, I am wondering if it is too late to do 'well' and achieve an atar in the high 70s or 80s?

The subjects I am doing and approx ranking in them are:

1. Literature (Most likely ranked 1 but could be 2) Starting Unit 4 this term.

2. English (I've averaging a B+ and above average ranking I'd say (not by much though)) One more sac left (comparison) wondering if I can still get a 35 SS if I was to ace the comparative and exams.

3. Business Management: The class average is really low (around 20-30%) I am averaging around a 50% at this point. We are starting unit 4 as well this term: Is it too late to get a SS of 35?

4. Biology: My worst subject atm as I am literally the lowest rank in the class (I wish I was joking) and have unit 4 left to complete. Is it possible for me to comeback and potentially get a 30+ SS?

Last year I completed Revolutions (31 Raw) and Health and Human Development (34 Raw) - I know they're terrible scores but I was really struggling that year with personal problems and found it hard to study (diagnosed mental health issues suck)

That being said, I qualify for all the SEAS category and most likely can get that special consideration (Would this help to boost my atar?) My dream is to study at Monash as well.

Is there any hope for me to get into the 70s or 80s if I try real hard this final term and for the exams? I'll still try regardless but knowing I have that hope will help a lot.

Honest answers please  :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Is it too late for me to achieve a 75+?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 08:36:04 am »
+1
Hey! As a broad statement, certainly not too late. Exams are to come, plus final SACs. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge. The other thing I'll say is that you can't really read too much into raw SAC scores in isolation, so they can be a bit deceiving at times.

1. Smashing it!
2. Still possible.
3. Still possible.
4. Still possible

Last year I completed Revolutions (31 Raw) and Health and Human Development (34 Raw) - I know they're terrible scores but I was really struggling that year with personal problems and found it hard to study (diagnosed mental health issues suck)

Both of these are actually above average!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Is it too late for me to achieve a 75+?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:00:21 pm »
+2
That being said, I qualify for all the SEAS category and most likely can get that special consideration (Would this help to boost my atar?) My dream is to study at Monash as well.

In an indirect way, SEAS does boost your ATAR. This quote from LaTrobe's website explains it well:
A Special Entry Access Scheme adjusts your ATAR in recognition of circumstances that may have affected your education.

You may receive additional points depending on the severity of your circumstances. The aggregate points are added to your combined study scores and your ATAR is recalculated. La Trobe uses this adjusted ATAR during the selection process. If you are applying through VTAC, you need to apply for the SEAS.

The effect of adjustments on your ATAR will vary slightly from year-to-year. The estimate calculated is based on the previous admission period.

Most Uni's have an ATAR calculator that you can play around with where you plug in your estimated ATAR and information about SEAS and they tell you how your ATAR might be adjusted. Monash's is here.