Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 10:40:20 am

Author Topic: Melbourne's Proposed Suburban Rail Loop  (Read 4704 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Melbourne's Proposed Suburban Rail Loop
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:08:23 am »
+6
I absolutely love this news.

A massive, $50 billion, underground suburban rail network will be built, linking every major rail line in Melbourne and the new airport rail, the Victorian government has pledged.

Billed as "the biggest public transport project in Australian history", the Suburban Rail Loop will connect key train lines from Frankston to Werribee.

Full story here.

Any thoughts on this? Construction proposed to be from 2022 to 2050.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Melbourne's Proposed Suburban Rail Loop
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:36:25 am »
+5
I thought we were leaning towards an independent republic, but it looks like Melbourne just wants to be London? First the ferris wheel, and now an underground...

But, in all seriousness, this looks pretty good. As said in the article, "This means that many commuters would not need to travel first to the city to reach a destination in another part of Melbourne - a major downfall in the city's current train network." Living in/close to these areas, this is an exciting development. However, the proposed timeline is huge. Allowing 28 years for the full project is a serious investment and will inevitably impact many people's daily commutes, as well as confusing the system. Most of us here on AN aren't even 25 - that's half of my parent's lifespans, and years above many. It is a risk, as we can't predict technological or societal changes in that time.

It's an ambitious project, and a bold investment. But, if they do succeed, this will benefit many, many people.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:36:55 am »
+5
I love this idea!
 (and as construction is planned to start after I've finished my course I won't be experiencing delays while it's built - double win)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:39:01 am »
+5
I just want my Doncaster rail :'( :'(

In theory it sounds awesome. Great that they’re finally looking to invest in public transport rather than roads. Would be interesting to see how it actually plays out. Having it underground is definitely a good call.

If it goes ahead, I hope that they actually set it up properly, the article alluded to it - good bus connections but also lots of car parking at the stations would be needed. Definitely hoping it happens.

However, the proposed timeline is huge. Allowing 28 years for the full project is a serious investment and will inevitably impact many people's daily commutes, as well as confusing the system.
Totally agree with this though, it’s a very long time (although it will presumably be done in sections so hopefully some of it will be useable earlier)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 09:40:50 am »
+4
Absolutely amazing - (reliable) public transport between the suburbs has always been a missing piece of Melbourne's public transport network. Love how it also connects Deakin, Monash and Latrobe uni - will probably make them more accessible for people who live on the opposite side of Melbourne or far away.

But looks like Metro 2 won't be happening then (or at least there's no mention of it)?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:20:02 am by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:13:45 am »
+6
On face value this sounds genuinely fantastic. Would love to see the studies behind it though, what they actually think the impact of it will be and why.

From a narcissistic side, I mildly hate the fact that it doesn't pick up the Sandringham line :p I hate the fact that I have to come into the city and then go back out again to get to Heidelberg and have been talking up a project like this for the last two years to fix that...now that it's here it leaves out my line!! (very sensibly if we're honest).

EDIT: also don't think this will be relevant come 2050 when I'm very unlikely to still be living on the Sandringham line or working in Heidelberg.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:47 pm »
+3
Seems sensible - but is it going to get bipartisan support, or will it go the same way as East-West Link?  At least the airport rail has bipartisan support and Federal funding lined up.  I'm afraid of one of the key talking points of the election being road vs rail...

I thought we were leaning towards an independent republic, but it looks like Melbourne just wants to be London? First the ferris wheel, and now an underground...

There are worse things than being like London - though we lack their lengthy history  :)

On face value this sounds genuinely fantastic. Would love to see the studies behind it though, what they actually think the impact of it will be and why.

Ditto.  I know this was one of the key stumbling points for East-West Link at the last election.

From a narcissistic side, I mildly hate the fact that it doesn't pick up the Sandringham line :p I hate the fact that I have to come into the city and then go back out again to get to Heidelberg and have been talking up a project like this for the last two years to fix that...now that it's here it leaves out my line!! (very sensibly if we're honest).

Comment from a co-worker: Sandringham is a safe Liberal seat, and this is a Labor promise.
Does that play into the decision?  No idea, but I'm cynical enough that I could believe it...
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 12:17:17 am »
+1
I love the idea, but they will probably charge an arm and a leg to get off at the airports (like they do hear and overseas).

This is due to the sources of funding (when its mixed public and private)! There's no way the government will foot all of the bill and I won't expect them to.

3D waffle

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:43 am »
+1
It all sounds great, I think it's a great idea and I'm sure it will be helpful, but please let me offer a different perspective....

Coming from a rural area, I find so much infrastructure and money is used in the city, when around my area, where the population is still fairly big, they can't even build proper roads!

I've been to Melbourne airport a lot of times and realize there's a lot of congestion around the airport, but, may I ask why they spending 50 billion in such a condensed area? Why are they focusing only on cities, when they are not doing necessary inland train projects that would cover more distance but cost around half the price??
As an a country we need trains that can replace the endless amount of trucks that are ruining our roads. And these train tracks that just aren't built yet are needed to create better transport of things like coal and iron ore. This would boost the Australian economy, as they won't have to keep replacing ruined roads, transporting goods would be cheaper and more efficient and maybe we could proudly have an ever bigger transport project. Also, a boost in the economy will make it easier to pay for any Melbourne train rail and many, many more people would be benefited.

Still, please enjoy your new train line!

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 03:09:44 pm »
Well said 3D Waffle!
Australia's government has it's priorities all mixed up! The roads around our country areas are in dire need of fixing... we no longer drive on the left... we drive on WHAT'S left! Our hospitals are also in need of government funding. A lot of the healthcare money goes into the hospitals like Royal Children's etc. while our hospitals haven't got the equipment they need to keep children alive long enough for them to get to Royal Children's. We live in a town of 10,000... our hospital also hosts Flinders University students on training... they can no longer even set a broken arm locally. They now transfer children to a larger hospital an hour away for simple surgeries like that.
anyway... i'll finish giving my opinion later... but basically i think their prioritising skills are worse than mine!
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 05:50:33 pm »
+6
Well said 3D Waffle!
Australia's government has it's priorities all mixed up! The roads around our country areas are in dire need of fixing... we no longer drive on the left... we drive on WHAT'S left! Our hospitals are also in need of government funding. A lot of the healthcare money goes into the hospitals like Royal Children's etc. while our hospitals haven't got the equipment they need to keep children alive long enough for them to get to Royal Children's. We live in a town of 10,000... our hospital also hosts Flinders University students on training... they can no longer even set a broken arm locally. They now transfer children to a larger hospital an hour away for simple surgeries like that.
anyway... i'll finish giving my opinion later... but basically i think their prioritising skills are worse than mine!

There'd be a lot less pressure on the roads both in terms of congestion and wear and tear if you funnelled a proportion of the population onto a more efficient mode of transport, like, y'know, trains.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »
That's a good point... ???
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:08:37 pm »
+6
Here's a different way of conceptualising it.

Map by Philip Mallis - more here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:10:12 pm by Joseph41 »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 05:13:49 pm »
+2
Here's a different way of conceptualising it.

Map by Philip Mallis - more here.
I saw this on the Age yesterday!
Can't say I'm the biggest fan of this type of map, but I guess I'd be okay with it if this style of it if push comes to shove! :)

(All for this 'loop' though... except who knows where I'll be when it's completed- probably won't be living on the Werribee line by then! :') )
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 05:16:24 pm »
+4
I saw this on the Age yesterday!
Can't say I'm the biggest fan of this type of map, but I guess I'd be okay with it if this style of it if push comes to shove! :)

(All for this 'loop' though... except who knows where I'll be when it's completed- probably won't be living on the Werribee line by then! :') )

Yeah, there was another map I preferred (I find that one above difficult to read) that focused on the loop itself:

This one is by Adam Mattinson.