Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:45:33 am

Author Topic: Canada vs Saudi Arabia spat over human rights criticism  (Read 583 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Canada vs Saudi Arabia spat over human rights criticism
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:43:15 pm »
https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/the-two-words-from-canada-that-offended-saudi-arabia/news-story/57f2f21bdb8bd3d6f464202029fee624
On August the 4th, Canada's foreign policy posted this:
Canada is gravely concerned about additional arrests of civil society and women’s rights activists in #SaudiArabia, including Samar Badawi. We urge the Saudi authorities to immediately release them and all other peaceful #humanrights activists.

Saudi Arabia, being the internationally great global citizen (ironically, funds terrorists and is much progressive)... did this:
-  Freeze all of  new trade and investment transactions with Canada
-  halts all medical treatment for citizens in Canada
- Recalls Ambassador in Canada
- Suspending flights to Toronto

As noted here: Trudeau  said that:
Canada knows what it needs to do.
Canada does best, what it does, which is progress human rights and stays out of international wars.

Canada is right to criticise the Saudi government (as any other nations are allowed to criticise another nations). In a global world, NO ONE is above criticism.
What are your thoughts on this dispute and how should Canada proceed?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:48:53 pm by EEEEEEP »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Canada vs Saudi Arabia spat over human rights criticism
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:08:08 pm »
+3
I'm not well-versed on the topic, so excuse if I'm an idiot. First off, I think it was a bit immature of Canada to tweet this outright, and I think it's hypocritical to criticise Saudi Arabia for human rights abuses while supplying them weapons (although I THINK stopped this a bit beforehand?).

That said, Saudi Arabia is wrong in every sense of the word. They detained two people for being critical of the country, and when they were criticised for it, they threw a gigantic, international temper tantrum. I applaud anyone that can call them out for their horrible treatment of fucking everybody. Punishing their students in Canada by freezing medical students is proving this point. I don't think I understand this situation too well, but perhaps that's just because Saudi Arabia's actions are so wildly dumb I can't comprehend it properly.

I don't know enough about politics and the economy to have any thoughts on how Canada should proceed.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢