Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:38:04 am

Author Topic: Which subject to drop?  (Read 10133 times)

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Which subject to drop?
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »
+1
Heyo :D
Currently doing year 11, but the time is coming up to decide which subject to drop and I need to decide which one so I can focus more attention toward my more important A-grade subjects. I definitely do want to drop one, I'm not really enjoying Business Studies and Financial Services! Any comments?

The subjects I'm currently enrolled in are:
Modern History (LOVE IT!!)
Advanced English (awesome!)
Mathematics
Senior Science
Business Studies
Financial Services

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Which subject to drop?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:00:25 pm »
+2
Hey Courtney! Which do you dislike more out of Business Studies and Financial Services? Or is it about the same? Always drop the subject you enjoy the least! ;D

Here is an article on choosing the subjects to take forward to Year 12! I hope it is helpful :)

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:05:56 pm »
+1
Yeah sorta about the same. I'm probably more motivated to do more toward Business Studies because I know it counts toward my ATAR and it will be more beneficial to me, but yeah I will probably end up focusing more on my other subjects that I enjoy more. I've always regarded Financial as a slack subject, mainly because I have little interest for the content.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:15:34 pm »
+3
Yeah sorta about the same. I'm probably more motivated to do more toward Business Studies because I know it counts toward my ATAR and it will be more beneficial to me, but yeah I will probably end up focusing more on my other subjects that I enjoy more. I've always regarded Financial as a slack subject, mainly because I have little interest for the content.

Riight, well it being more beneficial for you is not the best reason to choose it, if you hate it that is. But if you have no interest at all in Financial, and you think Business will serve you better in the long term, perhaps dropping Financial is the way to go? ;D

herb123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 10:45:56 am »
Would definitely suggest keeping what you enjoy/what your good at

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:32:54 pm »
+1
Currently doing year 11, but the time is coming up to decide which subject to drop and I need to decide which one so I can focus more attention toward my more important A-grade subjects. I definitely do want to drop one, I'm not really enjoying Business Studies and Financial Services! Any comments?

Mathematics
Senior Science
Business Studies
Financial Services

If you're loving Mod History then consider doing Extension if you're able to make it. I think you'll love it more :)

I would drop Financial if you feel that you have no motivation to do it. How are you doing in all of your subjects?
Heavy Things :(

bellerina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:14:50 am »
+1
To be honest, I would recommend trying to keep it for the first term and see how you go with all your other subjects in year 12. And if you reaaallly think that you should drop it, then drop it in term 2. And I agree with Wales, I do modern history and extension history, so I can definitely say that if you love modern, then you will love history extension!
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:52:16 am »
+1
Awesome feedback guys! Thanks!!
but wow i love modern history but wouldn't doing extension history be kinda like shooting myself in the foot?  :o Is it way more work? And would i have to do an extra exam?

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 11:01:44 am »
but wow i love modern history but wouldn't doing extension history be kinda like shooting myself in the foot?  :o Is it way more work? And would i have to do an extra exam?

If you're good at it you *should* enjoy it as well as benefit from the scaling of it. It's up to you though.
Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 11:19:53 am »

Extension History is a lot of work and is an extra exam, but if you love history go for it! sudodds would probably be the best person to ask, she did Extension History and loved it ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »
Extension History is a lot of work and is an extra exam, but if you love history go for it! sudodds would probably be the best person to ask, she did Extension History and loved it ;D

yo yo yo

If you enjoy Modern History I highly recommend giving History Extension a go! As Jamon said, it is a lot of work (the major more so than the exam!) however it is really one of the most rewarding courses - changed my perspective on a lot of things :) Remember that it is NOT another history course though, it is historiography, so it requires a lot of outside reading, not only of history but of historiographical theory (eg. postmodernism, objectivism). It won't be structured in the same way as Modern - it's quite a lot more independent. If you have any questions feel free to pop them over here: History Extension Question Thread and I'll be happy to answer :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

MEL7401

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 06:06:04 pm »

Mathematics
Senior Science
Business Studies
Financial Services
hey!!

i'm in a similar predicament...

Currently i do:
Advanced English
Mathematics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Modern History
Business Studies
German Beginners
Senior Science

absolutely do not want to drop any of my subjects... and next year our school is offering extension history for the first time which i am keen to give a go!!
so...what should i do???
if i didnt drop anything it would be about 14 units :P...

any tips??? :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 06:31:25 pm »
hey!!
i'm in a similar predicament...
any tips??? :D

Which of those subjects do you dislike the most Mel? Are there any you really aren't enjoying? :)

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 07:02:45 pm »
Im doing 13 units and achieving well in next to all, but I really dontenjoy legal studies and want to drop but still have a good rank and mark atm.

I do 4 units of English and 3 units of history do you think it would be a smart choice to drop?

Although I achieve relatively well in legal (88,93,92) I really do not enjoy the course work and feel like its so time heavy!!

I just want to make the most effective choice possible, any suggestions are appreciated!
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:08 pm »
Hey Marcus! Normally I'd say that you should drop Legal, but you are really close to the end now! Especially with such good results, I'd be careful before dropping it, only because you've already invested a lot of time into it by this stage! :)

Ultimately it is your call! If you feel Legal is really adding to your stress, then perhaps it would be a good move - But I'd only do it if absolutely necessary! :)