Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:43:31 pm

Author Topic: English Extension vs. Legal Studies [How to study?]  (Read 2189 times)

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
English Extension vs. Legal Studies [How to study?]
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:48 pm »
Hey Atarnotes!

I can't believe the HSC is almost over... :o
I have a week off until English Extension on the next Monday and then Legal Studies on Wednesday. How do you think I should study and best use my time? I haven't started yet because I am not quite sure where to. :)
Thank you! :D

Sincerely,
Caninesandy
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: English Extension vs. Legal Studies [How to study?]
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:32:50 pm »
Hey Atarnotes!

I can't believe the HSC is almost over... :o
I have a week off until English Extension on the next Monday and then Legal Studies on Wednesday. How do you think I should study and best use my time? I haven't started yet because I am not quite sure where to. :)
Thank you! :D

Sincerely,
Caninesandy

Hey!
Why not tell me where you're at...what are your strengths and what are your weaknesses? Then we can work out a bit of a study plan. Are these your last two exams?

For Extension: Do you have a prepared essay and creative?
Unfortunately, Extension 1 English is notorious for giving you questions that are extremely difficult to prepare for! So, although it is difficult to pick any questions in past papers, it might be worth applying your work to those past questions so that you get your mind into the way of approaching the questions that seem so random, and might throw you off in an exam! It's not worth writing out essay after essay, it's more about perfecting the evidence you have, or the creative you have, and then adjusting to questions!

For Legal, I don't recommend memorising any essays: so definitely don't think that it the best way to study. Planning essays? Great. So go through the right hand side of the syllabus, and pretty well just take questions from there exactly. And pretend they are all essays: Ask yourself "If this was an essay question, what would I write?" and then just brain dump everything down! It's a good exercise involving bringing all of your knowledge together in a quick time. Then, try organise your notes into some kind of cohesive structure - another good exercise in organising your arguments. I did this with friends at the library on a white board in the lead up to the HSC and it was really fun (nerdy, I know). But it also works really well at home and by yourself. I thought this was one of the most effective parts of my study!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 06:20:25 pm »
Thank you Elyse! :D
I think that generally I don't have any particular strengths.. lol heehee!
Regardless, I feel okay for legal MC+short responses and Ext. creative. I think I just need to organise my crime essay arguments and I should be good there too. 
Where my main weaknesses are the two option essays for legal (I cringe thinking about them) and probably the extension essay as well. Also, I do Indigenous People and Family Law for the legal options and for Ext. I do Romanticism (Mod B, Elective 2). :)

Edit: I don't have any prepared essays for anything, nor any prepared creative writings.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:51:31 pm by caninesandy »
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:09:07 pm »
Thank you Elyse! :D
I think that generally I don't have any particular strengths.. lol heehee!
Regardless, I feel okay for legal MC+short responses and Ext. creative. I think I just need to organise my crime essay arguments and I should be good there too. 
Where my main weaknesses are the two option essays for legal (I cringe thinking about them) and probably the extension essay as well. Also, I do Indigenous People and Family Law for the legal options and for Ext. I do Romanticism (Mod B, Elective 2). :)

Edit: I don't have any prepared essays for anything, nor any prepared creative writings.

What's your approach for creative writing if you don't have a prepared? Are you going in with certain characters? I'm keen to know! :)

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:31:36 am »
I usually go in with a character and/or scene to go in with :D I have pretty much written about the same person and place all year LOL  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:33:56 am »
I usually go in with a character and/or scene to go in with :D I have pretty much written about the same person and place all year LOL  ;D

Not a bad idea at all! That's really cool that you can do that!!  ;D Good luck!

stefanie.bruzze

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 04:18:14 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how to go about studying for my upcoming Year 12 Legal Studies exams?
I was told by my teacher to NOT make study notes and instead complete pass paper/practice questions for the topics (CRIME + HUMAN RIGHTS).
There is so much content and I'm not sure how to best revise everything...

Thank you

:)

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 09:40:03 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how to go about studying for my upcoming Year 12 Legal Studies exams?
I was told by my teacher to NOT make study notes and instead complete pass paper/practice questions for the topics (CRIME + HUMAN RIGHTS).
There is so much content and I'm not sure how to best revise everything...

Thank you

:)

Hey there,

Just wanted to give you a reminder to start a new thread whenever you have a question :) In my opinion, the best way to study is to test yourself - whether it's through completing past paper questions (and getting them marked by your teacher) or making flashcards of key terms/cases or writing down everything you know on a blank sheet of paper closed book to a specific question eg. the role of discretion in the criminal justice system.

Hope this helps!
- avocadinq
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

stefanie.bruzze

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 04:16:51 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for your help!! :)