Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:52:45 am

Author Topic: What ATAR can I expect to get with these subjects... ?  (Read 691 times)  Share 

ijustwantbread

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
What ATAR can I expect to get with these subjects... ?
« on: May 16, 2019, 06:20:06 pm »
Okay so I'm new to AN and have never really used any forum-type of website so sorry if I'm doing this wrong or if this post is even in the right place lol

I'm year 11 doing English, General Maths, Twentieth Century History, Food technology, Viscom & Studio Arts (all 1/2)
My main focus of subjects are Studio and Food (by focus subjects I mean subjects I really enjoy doing - even the theory) and subjects on my back burner are General and History. I don't care about my scores in those classes, just as long as I pass (although i still get consistent 60s-70s)

I want to be an art teacher for either high school or primary school. I've looked and most ATARs needed for that job and 60-70 seems to be the minimum score. I know myself and think that I would easily be able to get that kind of score but I'm also kind of worried because lately me and my friends have been joking about how I have all easy subjects and how I'm breezing through them (aka only just keeping on top of my homework) because they all seem to be stressing about their spec and method sacs or their bio and chem sacs and I don't know if its just because they are doing really hard subjects or whether I really am just doing easy subjects that can't possibly get a great ATAR.

So my question is, regarding the subjects I'm doing, is it possible for me to get more than a 70-80 ATAR knowing that I get Cs-Bs and occasionally an A  if I work my but off? (or if the teacher is slack)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: What ATAR can I expect to get with these subjects... ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 07:13:22 pm »
+2
Hey, Welcome to AN.

The subjects that you have chosen won't restrict you in getting in atar in the 70s/80s and it would even be possible to score higher with these subjects.

Even though some subjects are usually thought of as the "harder subjects" they don't inherently yield a higher atar. Same goes for those perceived "easier subjects" - they don't inherently yield lower atars.

Your performance in your subjects will be the greatest determinant of your ATAR. So it is always going to be better to do well in "easy subjects" rather than badly in "hard subjects".

As for your performance - year 11 grades don't always dictate what you will get in year 12 so your best option would just be to put your best effort then.