Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:31:44 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 851146 times)  Share 

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #2445 on: February 07, 2019, 06:35:37 pm »
1) I was wondering if anyone has any resources for a text my school is studying called 'The Women of Troy.' The only resources I have are two prompts which my teacher gave us, does anyone have any other prompts? Or any other resources such as themes/quotes/exemplar essays.

2) This may sound stupid but I need some clarification on what your main idea is in each BP? Is it something the author is trying to convey?

You dont know me

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #2446 on: February 12, 2019, 12:14:54 pm »
Does anybody have detailed notes in relation to the book "The Golden Age"?

Would just like to read over them to see if I've missed anything important in the book.
Currently studying:
-Legal Studies U3
-Biology U3
-Pyschology U3
-General Maths U3
-English U3
Check out my VCE journey

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2447 on: February 14, 2019, 09:12:54 am »
For the creative SAC, were people able to choose the direction of their story (alternate ending, journal entry, etc.) or was it set by the teacher?

Monkeymafia

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2448 on: February 15, 2019, 10:58:33 am »
Can anyone let me know if the following analysis would be correct/if I could expand on it?

NASA's technology investments continue to make a different in the world around us.

In his description of the space technology corporation "NASA" being beneficial to the "world around us," the author attempts to inflate concerned citizens sense of apprehension for the chaos that may result if the government did not continue to invest in aerospace technology. Thereby, governmental departments may be more inclined to invest in NASA to reduce the concern amongst citizens or face scrutiny from the general public.

alanihale

• Forum Regular
  • i still haven't taken my L's yet :(
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2449 on: February 26, 2019, 06:44:28 pm »
How do you expand on or flesh-out ideas in a text response??
2018 - Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [45] | Spesh [hahaha] | Methods [40] | Chem [41] | Bio [40]
Atar: 98.55

Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) @ La Trobe

---
'Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard'

InnocentKid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #2450 on: February 27, 2019, 04:51:26 pm »
so I got a analytical essay comin up  :-[ and I am legit no joke shit at English....

I need your help.  the text is "Night" by Ellie Wiesel
my teacher says my writing is pretty good and stuff but I actually feel like she's to afraid to tell me the truth ....idk. :'(
if u could give a brief read and tell me on ways to improve that would be amazing
thnx in advance   ;D

TOPIC: “In ‘Night’ Wiesel uses imagery to portray the horrors of his experiences. Discuss”

In Elie Wiesel’s memoir, ‘Night’, literary devices, such as imagery, are manipulated to discuss traumatic experiences faced throughout the time of the text. Figurative language is often used to explore the themes of night and darkness and can foreshadow key events throughout the text, while imagery and symbol around death, trauma, pain and suffering are also used to show the full depth of experience.

Within the text  Wiesel uses a variety of literary devices to depict how Night and Darkness affected him at the beginning of his journey. Wiesel brings up the theme of night  a number of times throughout the text to foreshadow demoralising events that were to come “ It was close to midnight”  Wiesel uses this concept of night  to communicate seemlislingy  endless darkeness  that was to come when his entire Jewish community would be transported of to Auschwitz. Wiesel  also portrays night as an enemy and a threat  during  the course of the text…he presents himself in a manner in which he “fears” night and as it  brings along darkness with it “The night seemed darker outside the gates of Auschwitz” the way in which he uses this sentence shows the significant impact “night” and “darkness” has had on him, the evil, pain and suffering that follows after. Ellie seems to be so afraid of Night and Darkness as he sees the product of the damage wherever he looks in the camp. Ellie using detailed imagery and metaphors, describes his fellow Jewish peers as already half dead “the shdows around me roused themselves as if from a deep sleep and left silently in every direction” this sentence has a significant impact on the audience showing them the quality of life Jews were forced to burden throughout the war and how they dealt with this. Wiesel uses his knowledge of writing to  manipulate literary devices such as imagery and metaphors to show how Night and Darkness took a horrendous  toll on him and his Jewish companions.

Wiesel also uses string figurative language and symbolism to explore the key concept of death in his memoir. Wiesel specifically focuses on “Death” as it was a fundamental aspect of his story, and affected nearly every Jew during the time of war. He illustrates this importance by using imagery and symbolism to truly give the reader an insight on the pain and suffering he experiences firsthand  his “ we were withered tress in the heart of the dessert”, Wiesels maudlin tone illustrates his thought on the matter, the result of the war and what they had become, the way they had developed and progressed as time passed.  Furthermore the way in which he synthesises his symbolism and imagery link perfectly to the event that were currently happening, this is exemplified when selection took place and certain individuals were selected, Wiesel describes them as “ wallowing in their despair” ,  “ trying to cling to hope” and struggling between “life and death”, as they were to be of no more in the near future, Wiesels intent  of this sentence was  for the reader to experience what  he felt at that time, empathy and sorrow for the “lost souls”.  Wiesel appropriately defines death in his memoir and the battles he and so many more faced against it, he tries to communicate to the reader his understanding of what he experienced in the most elaborate and meek format so that he may extinguish his agony.

An important factor in which everyone at the concentration camps experienced was the trauma that everyone grieved  during that time . Wiesel portrays trauma through linguistic methods in which he clearly reveals the horrors he experienced. At the beginning of the text Wiesels jumps straight to the inhuman acts he witnessed upon arriving in Auschwitz, “I pinched myself: Was I still alive? Was I awake? How was it possible that men, women, and children were being burned and that the world kept silent? No. All this would not be real. A nightmare perhaps … Soon I would wake up with a start, my heart pounding, and find that I was back in the room of my childhood”, the far – fetched  tone in which Wiesel expresses himself makes it distinctly obvious that he could not grasp of the acts being committed “how could this happen in 21st century quote” The disbelief Ellie shows suggests that  the Jews and Ellie  could never suspect that their “friends of yesterday” could allow something inhumane as this to happen. This would have deeply traumatized many, an act of betrayal upon them for simply being “different” both physically and culturally. Throughout the text traumatic events consistently took place, the fact of being kept in a concentration camp, enduring labour would have been traumatic enough for many, however certain events disturbed Ellie more than others. Wiesel emphasises this by adding in more depth to these parts than he would to others, for example Wiesel dedicates a whole page to “Juliek” the boy who played the violin ( Beethoven ) , Wiesel at the time was “crushed under the weight of other bodies” and “biting his was to search for air” and was distressed and close to mere death, a traumatic experience however “Juliek” who was also in the same position  releaves Wiesel when he plays the violin for the last time  expressing his thoughts and giving a deep and contextual meaning “his soul had become his bow”, this was both physical and emotionally traumatising for Wiesel especially when he wakes to find Juliek deceased the following morning. Other traumatising events include the moment in time when Wisels own father was beaten to death in front of him and he coudnt do anything to save him “ he called out to me and I had nmot answered” this would possibly be one of the momest stressful and traumatising events that took place in the text, it would have left Ellie with permanent psychological scars for life as he deeply cared for his father “ I remained more than an hour leaning over him, looking at him, etching his bloody, broken face”  Unfortunately for many Jews this was a common traumatic  hurdle many had  to fight when losing their loved ones. Wiesel does an excellent job at providing the audience with the traumatic experiences he had to endure.

In Night, produced by Ellie Wiesel. Literary devices are harnessed to create a deep and powerul meaning  text which accurately depicts the traumatic and horrific experiences Wiesels faced at his time in Concentration Camps during WW2. Wiesel uses his knowledge of literature to explore themes like night and darkness in which he gives detailed evidence of how it forshadows certain events to come, he also explores death and trauma with imagery and figurative language to give the reader a vivid image of the “hellish” experiences Jews took.

TTanner01

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2451 on: March 05, 2019, 08:52:43 pm »
Anyone know how the introduction of an essay is structured?

I usually do Broad statement of what the book is about --> Contention --> Body paragraphs

However, my teacher said that I shouldn't even have body paragraphs mentioned in the introduction, which is confusing because it was always emphasised that I should when I was in year 7 all the way to year 11.

Any help?
Cheers!

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #2452 on: March 11, 2019, 12:48:47 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone have notes in regard to 'Night' by Elie Wieel
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

gdog123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2453 on: March 15, 2019, 04:51:44 pm »
Hey there,

I am doing Behind the Beautiful Forevers Creative Essay soon. I'm really struggling to get an A+ does anyone have any ones they have did, so I can use it for ideas please?

Sohan

• Adventurer
« Reply #2454 on: March 16, 2019, 09:01:54 pm »
Hello guys, i am doing my creative piece on the "The Return" from Island by Alistair Macleod. So i am writing about Angus explaining his mother why he had to send the drunkard brother out. can anyone give me ideas about what to write and can also anyone check my written explanation.
Thanks

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2455 on: March 17, 2019, 11:02:52 am »
+1
Hi Sohan, I think you have a good idea to use Angus' conversation with his mother about his rejection of the drunkard brother.  However, I think this would work better as an extension of the existing scene on p 87 instead of making it a kind of add on epilogue at the end of the story.  So Angus' wife's return to the sitting room would be delayed while Angus and his mother discuss what has happened in Montreal that has caused Angus to send his brother back to the family home in Cape Breton.  To plan this out, you should look again at what you know of the drunkard brother (his working in the mine along with his father and four other brothers, his desperate attempts to recover the body of Andrew from the mine collapse).  (Not sure if you want to draw on details of a mine accident in a different story - "The Vastness of the Dark" see p 51-54) You can also draw in other aspects of the characters' lives - the seven generations in Cape Breton, the masculine companionship of the mining, and the communal bathing at the end of the work day. The mother also seems opposed to Angus' very different life in Montreal, as if this displays disloyalty to the family heritage.  Her views appear (to her) to be vindicated by the suicide of her other well educated son - the doctor, Alex (the 10 year old narrator Alex is probably named in his memory).  Then, it's up to you to work out your part of the story - is the brother's alcoholism a direct result of Andrew's death in the mine collapse? Why might this be? Is he feeling some guilt or responsibility for the brother's death? Why would leaving Cape Breton for Montreal be a good idea for him and what kind of support might Angus have tried to provide?  Once in Montreal, what went wrong?  What happened that made Angus think his alcoholic brother would be better back at home with their parents? What has been the role of Angus' wife in this?
As for your Written Explanation, I think you should get some of your own creative piece done first, then modify what you've written in your Explanation, to ensure that the two pieces are consistent.  I think your plan is to enhance the reader's understanding of relationships in Angus' family, the bond to the environment of Cape Breton and the damage to that bond when family members leave ("we just can't live in a clan system any more").  Give some thought to the aspects of MacLeod's writing style and his use of naturalistic informal conversation, supported with brief vivid description of the environment (the white sea birds and the black scars the mine makes on the green hillsides). Keep in mind the ambiguous title of the story too - whose "return" does it refer to?       

Sohan

• Adventurer
« Reply #2456 on: March 17, 2019, 04:29:00 pm »
Hi Sohan, I think you have a good idea to use Angus' conversation with his mother about his rejection of the drunkard brother.  However, I think this would work better as an extension of the existing scene on p 87 instead of making it a kind of add on epilogue at the end of the story.  So Angus' wife's return to the sitting room would be delayed while Angus and his mother discuss what has happened in Montreal that has caused Angus to send his brother back to the family home in Cape Breton.  To plan this out, you should look again at what you know of the drunkard brother (his working in the mine along with his father and four other brothers, his desperate attempts to recover the body of Andrew from the mine collapse).  (Not sure if you want to draw on details of a mine accident in a different story - "The Vastness of the Dark" see p 51-54) You can also draw in other aspects of the characters' lives - the seven generations in Cape Breton, the masculine companionship of the mining, and the communal bathing at the end of the work day. The mother also seems opposed to Angus' very different life in Montreal, as if this displays disloyalty to the family heritage.  Her views appear (to her) to be vindicated by the suicide of her other well educated son - the doctor, Alex (the 10 year old narrator Alex is probably named in his memory).  Then, it's up to you to work out your part of the story - is the brother's alcoholism a direct result of Andrew's death in the mine collapse? Why might this be? Is he feeling some guilt or responsibility for the brother's death? Why would leaving Cape Breton for Montreal be a good idea for him and what kind of support might Angus have tried to provide?  Once in Montreal, what went wrong?  What happened that made Angus think his alcoholic brother would be better back at home with their parents? What has been the role of Angus' wife in this?
As for your Written Explanation, I think you should get some of your own creative piece done first, then modify what you've written in your Explanation, to ensure that the two pieces are consistent.  I think your plan is to enhance the reader's understanding of relationships in Angus' family, the bond to the environment of Cape Breton and the damage to that bond when family members leave ("we just can't live in a clan system any more").  Give some thought to the aspects of MacLeod's writing style and his use of naturalistic informal conversation, supported with brief vivid description of the environment (the white sea birds and the black scars the mine makes on the green hillsides). Keep in mind the ambiguous title of the story too - whose "return" does it refer to?       

Thanks a lot OZLexcio really appreciated.

hayden2101

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2457 on: March 30, 2019, 04:57:12 pm »
How do i write an introduction on The Golden Age for this topic????

Topic: At The Royal Perth Hospital and The Golden Age, Frank struggles with more than just polio. Discuss

f0od

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2458 on: April 02, 2019, 05:19:25 pm »
I recently got my first SAC (creative) back and I got a B. I was wondering if there is still a chance for me to get a 40+ ss in english ://
class of 2019

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2459 on: April 02, 2019, 09:21:35 pm »
I recently got my first SAC (creative) back and I got a B. I was wondering if there is still a chance for me to get a 40+ ss in english ://
Your sac rank is what is important not your actual sac grade. Also there should be more sacs this semester and for the rest of the year to improve your ranking.