Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:24:00 am

Author Topic: Studying for half-yearlies?  (Read 1707 times)

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Studying for half-yearlies?
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:04:20 pm »
My school for some reason refuses to give out our school's own past papers... people say its the best option to study for half yearlies though, as opposed to HSC questions at this point in time?

Catholic trial papers are good apparently but I don't have access to them...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:10:44 pm by beeangkah »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Studying for half-yearlies?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:49:32 pm »
+2
Hey,

There's a heap of trial papers online you can use. I can't post any of them here because of copyright, but a quick Google search will give you a few papers :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 04:51:16 pm »
+1
My school for some reason refuses to give out our school's own past papers... people say its the best option to study for half yearlies though, as opposed to HSC questions at this point in time?

Not sure how to get access tp these catholic trial papers, but let me know if you find a way!
Any sort of questions you can get your hands on that deal with your year 12 coursework are good revision; be it HSC questions, trail papers or anything else. Schools should be modelling their exams off of HSC formats to prepare their students, at least i think they should. So any sort of practice questions you can get your hands on are good revision tools.
The more the better!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:53:23 pm »
+1

You won't find the Catholic Trial Papers online (same with independent) because they are copyright protected papers, schools pay to use them - Sites with those papers available tend to get in legal trouble :)

Mada is right though, anything you can get your hands on is going to be great practice! People only say Trial papers at this stage so you don't use up your HSC papers too early ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:46:29 pm »
+1
Hey there,
That's a strange philosophy- your school should allow you to at least access last year's half-yearlies so you can adjust to exam style questions. Unfortunately, Catholic Trial Papers are distributed within the school- my school archives these past papers and we can access them whenever we want to.

HSC questions and Trial papers are great though! It depends on your school's philosophy in how they structure the exams. In the English department, they structure our exams based on what we know and work towards HSC level but the math department thinks they should assess us at HSC level.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
  • Work hard and be rewarded
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:06 pm »
+2

Here is a really great site with lots of exams (Past papers and trials) from James Ruse, Loreto, Newington and more. Hope this can assist you with your studies :) https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr12/
HSC 2018
Biology || Business Studies || English Standard || Genral Math || PDHPE || Studies of Religion I

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:18:16 am »
+1
Thanks everyone for the replies!  ;D

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:04:04 am »
I believe that using a range of past papers from other schools and from past HSC exams will give you a really well-rounded understanding of your subjects. They challenge the way you approach a question and the way you look at the content, which will aid you in an upcoming exams. I think that even using questions that other students have created is useful as well!  :D
2018 HSC