Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:10:50 am

Poll

What should I do
1 (100%)
Need advice please
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 21, 2018, 07:11:37 am

Author Topic: Biology  (Read 701 times)  Share 

Joeyk2

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Biology
« on: October 17, 2018, 07:11:37 am »
Hello, I am starting year 12 next week content wise as i have retreat tomorrow until Friday. Last term for my year 11 yearlys I wrote out my notes four weeks before even my notification for each subject came, I felt like I was going to smash it. As weeks came closer to the exams I started to become lazy and not motivated; worn out from the notes. I ended up not going well in my exams from anxiety and laziness. I need advice on what I can do to know how to get a band 5-6 in each subject because I’m getting bad anxiety as I get annoyed when I ask teachers (for example. bio) advice on how I am going and what I need to do to get in the high bands. I really am determined to get a high band but the problem is I need help with how to fix the details in subjects like in biology. I’ve recently started a tutoring company which has three people in the class, and we’re giving sheets which have information such as; asexual reproduction. We read it together and then answer questions together and then given homework for the following week. I’m starting to stress as I’m asking myself whether this is going to help me as I have gaps in the way I write and study for. Biology exams. I don’t know what to do, advice please.

Joey :-\

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Biology
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 04:16:00 pm »
+2
Hello, I am starting year 12 next week content wise as i have retreat tomorrow until Friday. Last term for my year 11 yearlys I wrote out my notes four weeks before even my notification for each subject came, I felt like I was going to smash it. As weeks came closer to the exams I started to become lazy and not motivated; worn out from the notes. I ended up not going well in my exams from anxiety and laziness. I need advice on what I can do to know how to get a band 5-6 in each subject because I’m getting bad anxiety as I get annoyed when I ask teachers (for example. bio) advice on how I am going and what I need to do to get in the high bands. I really am determined to get a high band but the problem is I need help with how to fix the details in subjects like in biology. I’ve recently started a tutoring company which has three people in the class, and we’re giving sheets which have information such as; asexual reproduction. We read it together and then answer questions together and then given homework for the following week. I’m starting to stress as I’m asking myself whether this is going to help me as I have gaps in the way I write and study for. Biology exams. I don’t know what to do, advice please.

Joey :-\

Hi...
A solid set of notes is always a great start, but you need to be able to use these notes to help you answer questions effectively. If you are finding there are 'gaps' in the way you answer questions, would definitely emphasise trying practice questions and past papers - not just before exam periods, but throughout the year, as you learn new content.

Doing practice questions with your notes beside you can help to begin with. Use your notes to consolidate what you already know and find the ideal format and depth for answering the questions. As you become more confident, try it without your notes, and see how you go. You might surprise yourself about how much you remember.

Biology, by nature, is a very content heavy subject. So I can understand feeling overwhelmed with studying it! Just remember that studying is a constant cycle of revising content & consolidating knowledge through practice. So when you identify areas of weakness, go back and revise those areas, then practice them again!

As you head into your final year of school, remember that the HSC is all about balance. Allowing yourself some breaks and recreation time, and studying efficiently - by making study schedules or otherwise - can boost your marks and help you perform at your best. A year is a long time, so be assured that: a) There is essentially boundless time to improve, and b) You want to pace yourself, to be in a good position for the final exams.

Hope this helps.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD