Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:07:32 am

Author Topic: Bee(a) buzzing through film school  (Read 35748 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Bee(a) buzzing through film school
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »
+6
18/03/19 - 21/03/19
Story 2A

I really shouldn't be surprised that there's a huge difference between non-fiction storytelling compared to fiction storytelling but I'm still so surprised. There was a lot of emphasis on research methodologies this week as we expand on our assessment from Screen Business. Our assessment is about creating a hypothetical documentary. In Screen Business, we focus on the marketing and feasibility side of things. As we continue this assessment in Story, we talk more about the story we want to tell and its treatment.

I was gonna do an exposé documentary about the producers behind MAFS and how the show has affected the contestants post-show. But after a week filled with social issues and which ones you were passionate about, I've decided to make my hypothetical documentary about 'the fault in the private school education in regards to sex education' and how this affects young boys and whatnot. I have an interview with the head of PDHPE from an all boys high school in my area this week so am pretty keen to get on that. I've interviewed some guys in my year about the issue as well and it's genuinely surprising to see a lack of sex education at boy high schools.

I seem to be more confident with answering questions in class which is pretty good. Though I only feel like I only speak up because I feel bad for the tutor- they ask a question to a class of 20 but no one replies back.

End of sem projects (update):
- So I'm producing a dating show where we'll send off a two people in our cohort on a date but there's a twist!
- Not sure if I'm gonna edit a film because the director doesn't have a full crew and I'm scared that the film will be dropped because I would like to edit it since the topic is so relevant to me and also all the good films have been taken and I don't want to edit some crappy film about some boring social issue lol.
- Technically I can work in three films but decided to only commit to two so I don't burn myself out. People keep asking me to do production design, sound and first ad work but I keep saying no and I feel bad !! But like why force myself to do roles I'm not good at lol.

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2019, 08:53:16 pm »
+5
25/03/19-28/03/19
Image 2A

New year, new camera. We got introduced to the Sony FS5 which is a HUGE step up from the Sony NX70. The FS5 can shoot 4K and has a detachable lens which is pretty cool. Got introduced to new set of lights as well. The theme of the week was 'the unrepeatable image'. We did an activity where we head down to a dance school near us and filmed the classes. It was pretty cool because you really had to be mindful that once a move was done, it was done. You also had to be super selective of which shots you wanted to take as well.

We also did an activity where we had to recreate a top tips/interview video. We got into groups had to take turns of a role- in this case I was cinematographer so I was able to practice my cine skills. I would like to know how to light up a set because lighting is actually pretty hard.

End of sem projects (update):
- So we did end up getting a full crew so I am now officially editing a film.
- I am also assistant editor for another film as well.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2019, 08:10:17 pm »
+5
01/04/19-04/04/19
Screen Business 2A

This was the last week for Screen Business for this semester woohoo! We had some pretty cool guest speakers come in and talk about audience, marketing strategies and cross promotion which helped a lot with my assessment. Then we learnt about the zeitgeist which was interesting at first but got very repetitive towards the end of the week.

08/04/19-11/04/19
Story 2A

So we learnt about different cinematic modes and non-fiction models which was super interesting. I never really thought documentaries had different genres and modes until the first lecture of the week. We spent the rest of the week really developing our ideas for our assignment. We had to make an outline for a documentary about an issue we're super passionate about. I really enjoyed writing non-fiction because it's surprisingly lot more flexible than fiction writing in a script mode. We also had our feasibility meetings for our end of sem projects. So far, so good! Everythings under control- even got sucked in to co-produce a new film (that means I'm working on four films now which is a lot).

Curious to see how Image goes this week before we head into a new cycle next week for our three other subjects!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2019, 05:56:27 pm »
+4
Keep forgetting to log in this journal every week ah

15/04/19-17/04/19
Image 2A

Bit of a weird week since everything's been pushed together for the upcoming Easter weekend. We pretty much did activities in class where we had to film footage for assigned audio filed (if that makes sense?). Our group ended up making quite a sensual piece about two lovers with an overlay of a poem being said over the top. The next day we spent playing the green screen and what was intended to be a serious activity ended up being a shitstorm. Protip: don't give film students green screens without a solid brief! We were given equipment the day afterwards for our Image assignment where we had to interview someone. Let's just say this someone is a familiar face to the AN community. My edit of this interview will be up and running soon!

23/04/19-26/04/19
Character & Performance 2A

We are BACK again with directing class and directing non-fiction is so so so much better than fiction. We had this AMAZING activity in one of our workshops. We had to deal with interviewing difficult subjects (there's four types) and there are four ways to get around them and make sure they stay on track. We had acting students come in and each had a persona and difficult subject archetype and we had to figure out what the archetype was and use the methods to get what we wanted. The first person I interviewed was a costume designer for Nicole Kidman. The goal for this was to get info about Nicole for an upcoming documentary. But everytime I would ask questions about Nicole, there was a sense of grudge towards the actress (this acting student was brilliant). I was able to unlock her by telling her that she was in a safe space and the cameras weren't rolling and that's when she opened up. I interviewed someone else who's pet ferret died in an incident and the goal was to get her to talk about the details of the incident. But the acting student kept derailing the conversation and talking about how alone she was. I didn't know what to do and got so frustrated that I broke out of my interviewer character ahaha. Although the acting student told me that I was so close to unlocking her. She kept saying that she was alone and that the couch was big. Turns out all I had to do was to sit next to her and talk to her as a friend rather than an interviewer and that's when she told me all about the details of the incident. My mind was blown.

It was such a brilliant workshop activity. It's probably the best activity I've done at film school. I learnt so much.

29/04/19-02/05/19
Rhythm & Juxtaposition 2A

This week has been an eye opener for me and has brought me back to my love for editing once again. This is certainly a good thing cos I lost my passion for it last year rip but it's back now! We learnt something called the Paper Edit where we had to transcribe interviews, print them, cut the interviewee's answers and assemble them into a new sequence that flows really well. The order of the interview question will certainly not be the same order in the final cut. This entire week has been creatively challenging and exhausting for me- which is definitely a good thing.

Other stuff
* I've been talking to the students in the year below me, not just in the hopes of networking, but also in the hopes of making some new friends as well!
* Pre-production documents for production blocks have been slowly making progress which is great.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2019, 06:44:32 pm »
+6
Hello! Long time, no see. We wrapped up on official classes about one and a half weeks ago. I learnt about the idea of fiction storytelling within the non-fiction genre in directing class. Colour grading in editing class (this entire week was super intense) and all things sound design and podcasting in sound.

We had our final production meetings last Monday and we are currently in production block. Most of the documentaries I'm working on shot well before the production block so I've only been doing mostly post-production. I did direct a film a few weeks ago and up to this day, I don't understand the hype around directing. I suppose it's a confidence issue but also have a strong enough vision for the film.

I'll be on set this week as producer/glorified runner. It'll be interesting to see how this film goes as I've decided not to take any on set roles this semester. It'll definitely be weird being back on set again.

I CANNOT wait for our screenings at the end of this semester. Can't wait to see all the docco's come to life- after seeing so many behind the scenes photos and people's stories. I also cannot wait for my mid year break because I've been wanting to do a whole re-discovering my love for the arts type of thing. Just really create stuff that I care about and finding my roots in the fine arts again because I miss it. Although it's crazy to think once this semester ends, I'll literally be halfway through my degree. Time flies so quick. It was just like yesterday when I got my acceptance email.

See you guys soon !

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2019, 08:20:21 pm »
+8
Experimenting with a video entry since I didn't want to type out my reflection for Year 2 Semester 1 ahaha.
Please enjoy my voice and my snazzy 50MM camera lens.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2019, 07:42:38 am »
+2
Experimenting with a video entry since I didn't want to type out my reflection for Year 2 Semester 1 ahaha.

Amazing! Awesome quality.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2019, 08:49:15 pm »
+8

Woohoo! Finally got my marks back for Production and I got two HD's and I am over the moon <3 I worked my butt off for my edit so I'm glad that it was worth it in the end.

Okay back to enjoying my sem break ;)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2019, 08:57:55 pm »
+1
Woohoo! Finally got my marks back for Production and I got two HD's and I am over the moon <3 I worked my butt off for my edit so I'm glad that it was worth it in the end.

Thats amazing!! Congrats!!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2019, 08:46:02 pm »
+10
Time to do a quick life reflection type of thing before I begin Semester 2 this Monday.

Very recently, one of my old friends from primary school has passed away. A few months prior to that, another acquaintance from primary school passed away too. Primary school is such a distance memory for me. It's so weird that I remember these two guys so very vividly (especially one of them being my primary school crush!). It's crazy to think so much has happened ever since we all graduated primary school in 2011. We all went to the same high school together in Year 7 until I eventually moved to Australia afterwards. I haven't talked to them ever since or anyone from my primary school for that matter, since we are many countries away from each other and it's hard to keep up with the huge time differences.

I'm still trying to process that my old friend and old crush have passed away so recently because the last time I saw them they seemed so cheerful and so full of life. It's not everyday that someone my age passes away. It is a timely reminder that life is short and that I should really hold onto the friends and family that I've got right now because who knows what can happen? It's time for me to stop holding grudges, to make the most of the life I currently got and create lifelong memories.

Rest in Peace to H and L. Thank you for being apart of my primary school life.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2019, 07:28:36 pm »
+5
29/07/19 -01/08/19
Screen Business 2B

We're back for semester two and we're focusing on EPISODIC content this semester which is very exciting and refreshing as I am getting lowkey sick of film and short form content aha.

We learnt about what exactly episodic content is and how multiplatform campaign works to maintain audience interest outside a show or any screen content for that matter. It was super interesting to see that even merch counted as multiplatform content because I was an avid merch collector back in high school and didn't realise that it was all a business tactic until now. We have a group assignment on creating a multiplatform campaign for a selected web series and it's very exciting because it's super creative for a Screen Business assignment. I also love love love my tutor because she's so enthusiastic about everything !!

This semester production is completely different because we have been given two specific web series brief and we have to get interviewed on what role and brief we want to work for. I'm quite nervous because I only want one specific role for one of the briefs and there's quite a few who want the same role as well! Just need to prep myself and sell myself + my idea to the interviewers in a few weeks time.

It's lovely to see everyone back from semester break.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:09:52 pm by beatroot »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2019, 04:56:38 pm »
+2
Sorry to hear about your primary school friends, beatroot. Hope you're doing okay.

Congrataulations. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2019, 11:43:34 pm »
+5
It's been two months since I've last written an entry ahh. It's about time that I do... This semester has been crazy busy hence my lack of updates.

- The rest of Screen Business proved to be interesting as we were taught more things about different marketing strategies, multiplatform ideas. We also presented our group presentation infront of our class. Despite going wayyyy above the time limit, my group still managed to snag a distinction.
- Screenwriting class disappointed me big time this semester. Story has always been my favourite subject since Year 1. However, I was majorly disappointed with how poorly structured the lessons were this semester.
- I really enjoyed cinematography class this semester. I thank my tutor for being so engaging and so passionate about everything he teaches! It's wonderful to see a tutor who encourages females to join male dominated fields in film. We had this one particular activity where the lecturer set up 'The Amazing Race'-esque activities and we all had to pretend to be on the show. We took turns in being participants and filming what was happening.
- Directing class was super meh. I can clearly tell my tutor had a passion for directing but ever since directing a short film, I've been put off directing ever since. I just don't understand the appeal of directing. I just don't.

We still have another week of editing and sound classes left before we go into production. So far editing and sound class have been great. We've been given out information about our Year 3 Electives and we have to submit our preferences by the end of sem. At the moment, I have my eyes set on editing. I might potentially do motion design (VFX). Not sure what to do for my third elective. Choosing between sound, cinematography, screenwriting and production design. Trying to decide which out of the four is a good balance between an elective I'll enjoy and one that can give me the skills to get me a job in the future.

The lead up for this semester's production has been so busy, emotionally draining and exciting. I have been lucky enough to have been given my first role preference (series producing). I'm producing a web series with two other people. It's super exciting because we actually get to release our series to the public very soon. But it has been so emotionally draining because the workload for it has been so constant. I have about 2-3 meetings a week just for the web series. I even had 7 meetings in the span of 3 days. I'm just hoping all my hard work is worth it in the end.

On another note, I have been very lucky to lecture Visual Arts in the very recent HSC lecture series.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2019, 06:17:22 pm »
+8
I thought Year 1 was a great year. I was so wrong. Year 2 is so much better. Semester One was pretty amazing but Semester 2 was by far the greatest semester at film school. I really enjoyed Semester Two because I pushed myself to do the impossible and managed to achieve it.

Here’s an overview of Semester Two. We focused on episodic content which is my favourite type of content in the screen industry.

Screen Business 2B:
Spoiler
I really enjoyed this semester for Screen Business. We kinda moved away from the typical business side of things and moved towards social media stuff. It was interesting learning about multiplatform content and how that can help build an audience. The group presentation was quite food as well as I was with a good group (which is very rare). We also had a workshop where the tutors rotated in between classes and talked about their areas of expertise in screen business (ie budgeting, pitching, marketing etc.) which I thought was very useful and interesting. Also wanted to mention all the tutors for Screen Business were female which was super cool and badass (warms my heart that there’s female representation in the field)

Final mark: 78 (Distinction)

Story 2B:
Spoiler
Probably one of the few subjects that I didn’t enjoy this semester. I do enjoy story in general since writing stories and planning out stuff is something I enjoy. The lectures were great since we learnt about returnable elements in popular television content. It was just the workshops that ruined the subject for me (which sucks big time)

Final mark: 79 (Distinction)

Image 2B:
Spoiler
I think what made Image so interesting this semester was two things: 1) learning about rules and guidelines you need to consider when doing episodic content and 2) actually learning about production design (finally). My tutor was AMAZING and was so passionate about production design. It was interesting to hear how production designers work with cinematographers and vice versa. We had an activity in our final week of Image where our lecturer assigned us to re-create ‘The Amazing Race’.  We were given activities to do in our groups of four. Two people would do the challenges while the other two would film them. We just had to make sure the camera didn’t stop rolling and predict what people would do next. I hope I make sense ahahah.I really enjoyed the assignment as well.

Final mark: 81 (Distinction)

Character & Performance 2B:
Spoiler
I really despise directing. Even though I said Semester two was great, this was honestly the worst subject I have studied. I didn’t see how my lectures and workshops correlated with directing within the episodic landscape. Our workshops consisted of reading long scripts and trying to figure out the character’s motivations and stuff. We literally did this stuff in first year so I was disappointed that we were just doing the same thing in Year 2. The assignment was terribly confusing and my marks clearly reflect that.

Final mark: 66 (Credit)

Rhythm & Juxtaposition 2B:
Spoiler
Fun fact: My original tutor for this must’ve been on industry leave or something because he didn’t turn up once! But that’s ok because we had recent graduates teach us how to edit. We pretty much spent all our workshops doing our assignment. We were given 3 scenes from ‘Rake’ and had to edit them into a 5 minute sequence. We were also introduced to VFX this semester which is so bloody interesting (not sarcastic). This lecture was run by my editing tutor from last semester (he’s the best tutor I’ve met at film school so I was super excited to see him run the VFX lecture)

Final mark: 76 (Distinction)

Sound 2B:
Spoiler
Sound 2B was a literal carbon copy of Year 1 sound so I don’t really feel like I learnt anything at all in this subject. Learning to record sound on site was alright. Very disappointed with how post-sound was approached and I hope that part of the Sound curriculum improves for the next year.

Final mark: 76 (Distinction)

Episodic Production:
Spoiler
This was the subject that really made the semester and made it the best one. Episodic production was very different to other productions I’ve had so far. Other productions = some writer/director pitches their short film idea and they get a crew of 8 ish people to make it happen. Since we’re doing episodic content, the school gave us two briefs to work on and we had to make the new season for the shows. Since we had to make five episodes, there had to be at least 30 crew members on board. We had to get interviewed for the role that we wanted which was super intense.

I applied for the role of ‘Series Producer’ for the reality TV dating show brief (called What’s Your Flava?- feel free to watch Season 1 on Youtube), which is basically the biggest role on the show. What’s your Flava? is a reality dating and cooking show for bisexual people and we had to make the second season this year. The role of the Series Producer (on a dating show) besides producing the show also included figuring out how to twist the original brief, getting cast, doing the paperwork, writing the challenges etc. I said ‘why not. I enjoy producing. I want to get assessed on producing. If I don’t get the role then it’s not meant to be’. I was up against 10 other applicants which was hectic. I was so terribly nervous during my interview and my glasses kept fogging up ahahaha. I pitched my idea on how to mix up the new season, why I would be a great producer and referenced successful dating shows in Australia (I believe our show can go viral) I waited a day to see if my interview was successful and it was. I was hired with two other Series Producers and thus began this amazing production for the rest of the semester.

It was crazy trying to handle a crew of 30+ people. I was so used to handling a crew of 6 people. Communication was key as a Series Producer so we had to hire heads of departments to keep the communication alive. It was sort of like a pyramid. Series Producers at the top. Directors, cinematographers, sound, prod design underneath and assistants of those said departments.

I spent so many days, nights, weekends, before and after school hours, in class hours even, trying to get cast, sorting out transportation, revising the budget, keeping crew together, holding meetings, attending meetings, doing mentoring sessions, doing risk assessments constantly and so much more. There were so many times where my brain felt so damn numb. It was to the point where my co-producers saw how I loopy I was becoming at meetings and have told me to leave ahahha.

But this whole experience is so so so worth it. It was worth the lack of sleep. Worth the stress. Worth the highs and lows. Worth all the paperwork. We shot the show in four days back in October, went through two weeks of post production and delivered our product in mid November. We got so many positive feedback for the show and I just can’t believe I helped create the product. What I’ve said about production is just the tip of the iceberg and I have so many more stories to share about it.

I would like to thank Episodic production for teaching me everything I needed to know. I have created stronger bonds with my crew members and have learnt to improve my problem solving skills and communication. I am so so grateful that I have experienced being a Series Producer-  as well as working within the reality TV landscape whilst still at film school- because it is such a rewarding experience. I hope that we get approval from my film school’s selection committee for official release on Youtube next year.

Final mark: 86 (High Distinction)

Now what?
Spoiler
Year 2 was great and I want to keep working. Though I know I must take a break, which is why I’m going on a holiday with my parents very soon. However, this is what I’ve got planned when I come back from my holiday before Year 3 starts. I would like to re-edit What’s Your Flava? With the post team and start creating social media content for the show as part of the lead up to its official release (if it does happen but I hope it does!)

Year 3:
Spoiler
Year 3 is my final year of my degree and I am so nervous and excited at the same time. We get to work on long form projects this time. Honestly, not a huge fan of short film production BUT I am excited to hear people’s ideas for their graduation projects. Since it is my final year, we get to do our electives next year. I will be doing editing, motion graphics (VFX) and production design. On top of that include mandatory courses such as Screen Business, Creative Development and of course production.  It’s crazy to think that I’ll be done with my degree in a year’s time ah!

See you guys soon!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:19:48 pm by beatroot »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2020, 09:50:09 pm »
+8
I start my last year of my degree tomorrow! Crazy to think that I'm in my graduating year. Time flies so so quick. It was just like yesterday when I was getting my ID and student handbook on the first day of O-Week. I've written myself a list of things I would like to achieve this year. Not sure if I'm being realistic with my goals (lols) but hopefully I am able to achieve most of them by November.

- Work on films and projects that speak truth to me and have a personal connection with the director.
- Produce a great film with an amazing director.
- Edit a docco (if someone does end up directing one); if not, I'll edit a drama film
- Production design a cool film
- Kickstart my website
- Build my brand name @editedbybea
- Do more mentoring sessions (1 on 1 with my tutors)
- Apply for an internship or at least apply for something in preparation for next year
- Work with different directors
- Attend the after school film club more
- Attend more networking events
- Attend masterclasses when possible
- Learn how to properly cook so I stop spending all my money at my film school's cafe
- Make the most out of my electives and actually ask for help when you need it (rather than sitting back and doing nothing in class)
- Don't go on social media during lectures and workshops ahaha

... and most of all

- Really make the most of my last year at AFTRS and build strong connections with people