Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:21:08 am

Author Topic: Say I fail one of my uni subjects and then want to transfer to another course...  (Read 1855 times)  Share 

squance

I have a question....

say that I fail one of my subjects in engineering....and then I want to transfer to another course (Bachelor of Teaching/Arts at Monash)...

Is that in any way possible???? And if so, how would I apply for it (like direct application or through VTAC??)...and what results do the university I want to apply to look at (enter or recent uni results)??

Im actually dying in my engineering course......actually its just the informatics subject..its really killing me and im getting very depressed (I don't really want to do software engineering because I can't program properly and i feel very hopeless!!!!!!)

I was forced to do engineering by my parents since they saw teaching as a degree with low status and low pay...but I really want to do teaching...and if it was any engineering stream, then I wanted chemcial but they said i sucked in the subject so that I would probably fail chem...(but im on my way to failing informatics).

but then again, if I transfer out, then I won't be able to hang around and see the friends I made...I won't be able to see my crush ever again!!

yeah. If I fail one of my subjects...I think i'll lose my melbourne access scholarship which would be a bummer. I would then have to repay everything to the university or whoever..crap!

Man, I feel sooo confused...

Informatics is the worst subject in the whole wide world.

Odette

Well i'm not sure exactly but you would need to have a look at which units will count towards your new course...

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Well, firstly, try not to fail anything. Even if you just barely pass, you're doing yourself a huge favour. I have no idea what Informatics is, but it's worth asking lots of questions or even getting a tutor to make sure that you understand enough to avoid failing the course.

When you try to transfer to a different course (and i think it if the transfer isn't internal, i.e.it's to another uni, you do have to apply through VTAC) they will look at your ENTER, but they'll mainly be concerned with your uni marks. Given that engineering is pretty far removed from arts/teaching they probably won't mind a great deal if your grades deviate from H1, in fact, a H3/P average would probably be sufficient.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do a mid-year transfer or not, it's worth looking into. If you can't, you still have to put up with your course for the rest of  the year. Although, I'd recommend that you do something artsy for your breadth subject if possible.

As for credit, you've done first year psych which will count, so will anything you do as arts breadth, but that'll probably be it, so you'll essentially be starting off as a first year again.

If it's just a matter of you trying to get used to a subject, stick with it until the end of the year and then reassess what you're dong. But, if you're unhappy in your degree and you were forced into it, you should definitely change! This isn't just about what you'll be learning over the next few years, it's potentially about your career as well. Nobody should get to have that much say over what you do (apart from you).

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
ur already half way thru the semester. try ur ass off to get that pass, and informatics will done :)

r u sure that u cant switch to chemical engineering???

squance

ur already half way thru the semester. try ur ass off to get that pass, and informatics will done :)

r u sure that u cant switch to chemical engineering???

hahah...you make it sound so easy but it ain't. :P Informatics involves computer programming and im really crap at the stuff. I've already emailed my lecturer telling him of my concerns and Im meeting up with him some time next week so maybe he can help me then....

I have no idea if i can switch to chem engineering...but if i do..it would probably add an extra semester to my course...but when I think about it...i don't want to do chem eng anymore...today in my engineering systems design lecture they were talking heaps about fluid mechanics and crap and I think that's related to chem eng of which i don;t want to do....

Hmm..i don't know...

avogarbro

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Squance, you would have benefited from Monash's common first year in engineering.

squance

Squance, you would have benefited from Monash's common first year in engineering.

I probably would have not gotten into the course...the enter for monash was higher than melbourne.

ANd the melb uni offered me a scholarship so I took it up....although monash did too as well but it was only an allowance scholarship.