Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:19:27 am

Author Topic: Casual Racism Towards People of Asian Descent  (Read 2994 times)  Share 

emmarobinson23

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Casual Racism Towards People of Asian Descent
« on: April 29, 2020, 01:49:06 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!
I am currently creating a personal interest project (PIP) about the casual racism people of Asian descent receive in Australia, generally by white people. I would love to have some more responses particularly from Chinese people, Chinese Australians, Asian Australians, etc. Due to how crazy the times we are in right now, it has made it very hard for me to distribute my questionnaire to those of Asian descent, as I can't go out. Having these responses would make my research much more valid, including the important opinions from those that my research is targeting. If anyone could spare a few minutes out of their day to complete my questionnaire, it would be greatly appreciated!
The questionnaire is entirely confidential and anonymous, and all information will be used as part of my HSC.
https://forms.gle/LAe1Knr6fthH1W2ZA

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Re: Casual Racism Towards People of Asian Descent
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 03:35:56 pm »
+2
Hi, I just filled it out! I am really happy you are exploring this topic, since it's especially relevant during the current pandemic and the increase in hate crimes committed against individuals of East Asian background/appearance. I hope you are able to update on your PIP progress - I would love to hear more about it!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

brothanathan

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:20:06 pm »
+3
Since I'm guessing you've been permitted to do this topic, there's hope that this will become less of a sensitive issue :) sort of like how Black Rights was. As you probably understand well enough by now, Asian Descent does not only include East-Asians or people with East-Asian ancestry. People of many Indian, Pakistani, Filipino, Indonesian, Malaysian, Formosean and Bangladesh ethnic groups like Chinese can also be classified under the umbrella term of Asian.

Keep us updated on your PIP  :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:43:10 pm by brothanathan »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 11:30:58 pm »
+4
Hey, emmarobinson23!

I've filled out the survey and have passed it on to a few of my friends who might hopefully be able to spare some time amidst crazy online learning to give you some responses.

To add to brothanathan's post as well, it's important in your PIP to make sure you're mindful of how you're wording things. I'm so glad you're looking at this issue and wanted to just make sure you're mindful that the PIP isn't targeting a certain demographic or group of people. It's great to see you're exploring the experiences of minority groups and how they are being treated particularly with COVID-19 in the backdrop. I think it's so refreshing to finally have someone other than the media (who are quite frankly doing a terrible job at it) covering the uglier sides of this pandemic, as well as in general. However, from personal experience doing a similar PIP topic, I would definitely recommend against generalising that it is white people that are doing this. I would perhaps word it more as the "dominant culture" of the country instead or find another way to express it. While your PIP aims to illuminate the experiences of those who have otherwise been marginalised and their experiences more than often invalidated, having social and cultural literacy is all about being able to do this without causing potential offence to others. Just some things to think about  :) You could consult with your SAC teacher further about it because their advice may help out!

Super keen to hear about how it goes and hopefully the responses start rolling in  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

emmarobinson23

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
+4
Hey, emmarobinson23!

I've filled out the survey and have passed it on to a few of my friends who might hopefully be able to spare some time amidst crazy online learning to give you some responses.

To add to brothanathan's post as well, it's important in your PIP to make sure you're mindful of how you're wording things. I'm so glad you're looking at this issue and wanted to just make sure you're mindful that the PIP isn't targeting a certain demographic or group of people. It's great to see you're exploring the experiences of minority groups and how they are being treated particularly with COVID-19 in the backdrop. I think it's so refreshing to finally have someone other than the media (who are quite frankly doing a terrible job at it) covering the uglier sides of this pandemic, as well as in general. However, from personal experience doing a similar PIP topic, I would definitely recommend against generalising that it is white people that are doing this. I would perhaps word it more as the "dominant culture" of the country instead or find another way to express it. While your PIP aims to illuminate the experiences of those who have otherwise been marginalised and their experiences more than often invalidated, having social and cultural literacy is all about being able to do this without causing potential offence to others. Just some things to think about  :) You could consult with your SAC teacher further about it because their advice may help out!

Super keen to hear about how it goes and hopefully the responses start rolling in  :D

Angelina  ;D
Since I'm guessing you've been permitted to do this topic, there's hope that this will become less of a sensitive issue :) sort of like how Black Rights was. As you probably understand well enough by now, Asian Descent does not only include East-Asians or people with East-Asian ancestry. People of many Indian, Pakistani, Filipino, Indonesian, Malaysian, Formosean and Bangladesh ethnic groups like Chinese can also be classified under the umbrella term of Asian.

Keep us updated on your PIP  :D
Hi, I just filled it out! I am really happy you are exploring this topic, since it's especially relevant during the current pandemic and the increase in hate crimes committed against individuals of East Asian background/appearance. I hope you are able to update on your PIP progress - I would love to hear more about it!

Thank you guys so much for taking the time out of your day to complete my questionnaire!

I am definitely taking into consideration those of all Asian nationality, and trying my best not to offend anyone. It is a really tricky topic, as I don't want to word anything wrong and be racist myself to any nationalities of their culture. But everything I have been doing I have been running past my teacher, just to make sure I'm presenting things in a culturally appropriate matter. I myself have always disliked immensely how racist people are towards people of Asian descent are, and have always spoken up when a casual comment is made about their language, appearance, culture, etc. so when it was time to create the PIP, I knew straight away this is something I wanted to do as I am so passionate about it. With this crazy pandemic going on right now, it has definitely brought a lot of racism out of people! It has helped my research in a way, as some of the responses I have gotten from people show how racist human beings can really be to those of other cultures. It is an awful time, and I feel horrible for all of those who are receiving such hate and racism.

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions, I am definitely still learning new things everyday to make my PIP better and culturally literate, so I really appreciate it and will make updates as often as I can!