Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:16:56 am

Author Topic: Jamon's State Rank Q+A: April 2nd (7pm - 9pm)  (Read 3142 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Jamon's State Rank Q+A: April 2nd (7pm - 9pm)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 08:28:17 pm »
+4
Hey Jamon!

I was wondering how did you manage to time manage so effectively, with homework and assessments? My school gives a lot of homework, that is normally due the next day and on top making notes for each subject, revising the concepts, and usually having a lot of "practice exams" for year 12, which is almost everyday. I've struggled with trying to be up to date with everything, and, as a result, I tend to pull all nighters, staying up late and being way too tired to function the next day. How were you able to do everything you needed to do and still had a decent sleeping schedule on a school night?

Hey there!! It sounds like you have waaaay more homework than I did to be fair! The thing I think you need to keep in mind is that all that stuff is your study and revision - If you are doing practice exams at school/at home, that's your revision there. Don't try and pile more on top of that!!

With that in mind, if you are struggling to keep up with even what the school is giving you, you might need to rethink your study timetable. Give this guide a read! It will help you systematically allocate your hours and plan where things should be done.

If you trim any unnecessary extra study, and have tried a timetable but you just don't have enough hours in the day, maybe it's worth chatting to your school about the workload. Ultimately, if you are struggling so hard, everyone would be, and it's in the schools best interest to fix that. I find teachers to be really receptive to this sort of thing if you are open with them ;D

An all nighter or two is totally okay - Like, not ideal, and if it is happening with regularity then you need to fix that. But no one is perfect, and sometimes they happen and that's okay - Be sure not to beat yourself up too much because it sounds like you are working really hard ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 08:33:18 pm »
+4
Hey,

How many hours a night did you study? How much more on weekends?

I study for 3-4 hours a night, but I feel a bit overwhelmed with everything, including major works. Should I be spending more time studying in order to stay on top of things?

Hey! I talk a bit about my routine in this guide, but you are studying roughly the same amount as I did! I did about 20 (maybe a bit more) hours a week all up, which was probably 2-3 hours every night then one full day on the weekend. I was flexible, because I had work a couple of nights a week and I wanted to see my girlfriend/friends with some regularity :)

Potentially it is about making sure you are making proper use of that time. Try journalling what you get done in one of those study sessions, and do that for a week. Look back on the list - Does it seem substantial? Or does it seem low? I find lots of people slow down substantially towards the end of their study periods, and when that happens I recommend cutting them down to smaller chunks! I always worked In fairly small blocks with breaks in between, and that's especially true now at university (I can never do the one thing for more than about half an hour, I switch things around often and take lots of small breaks to keep myself productive) ;D

Best of luck with it all! Particularly the major, I know how hard those can be ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:01 pm »
+6
Serious question: How did you know that out of all fields of engineering you knew you wanted to pick electrical, and (potentially on the same line of thought) is there any advice you'd give to someone who highkey aspires to be an engineer (potentially because they loved HSC physics), but is clueless about which field to pick?

Great question!! Interestingly, I was so set on Civil for the longest time. Then I went to a lecture on Civil Engineering at a UTS Open Day, and... Nope. Wasn't for me. I walked out like a lost puppy - Next door was the Electrical Engineering lecture! The rest is history, as they say ;) in hindsight it makes perfect sense, I'm a technology freak, and I'm really into my Physics and Maths. That suits Electrical Engineering perfectly ;D

I really recommend Open Days for anyone who is struggling to choose a degree, either Engineering or otherwise. Go to them all, go to the lectures, talk to students - Soak it in as much as you can ;D

Not serious question: Can you call the bottle flip stupid again, do it again, and succeed for once again pls.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 08:59:19 pm »
+2
How in the world did you survive first year engineering? (Or just engineering in general)

I'm barely keeping up with everything, and I'm just waiting everything to go downhill from here lol
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 09:07:23 pm »
+3
How in the world did you survive first year engineering? (Or just engineering in general)

I'm barely keeping up with everything, and I'm just waiting everything to go downhill from here lol

By the skin of my teeth! University is a big adjustment for everyone, I think the first semester was the hardest. From there I sort of learned to release a bit of control, accepted that I wouldn't be as on top of things or as clear in my knowledge as I was in the HSC. That acceptance made it loads easier - As did just generally becoming better at working with my habits and balancing my time ;D

I've told you before, you've got this owidjaja - Try not to let the tricky times destroy your self confidence! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:24 pm »
+4
And that's all we have time for! Thanks for your questions everyone, and feel free to ask me more questions in the usual subject Q+A threads!