Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:53:29 pm

Author Topic: Jamon's State Rank Q+A: April 2nd (7pm - 9pm)  (Read 3162 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Jamon's State Rank Q+A: April 2nd (7pm - 9pm)
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:40:42 am »
+9
This Q+A has concluded!
Welcome to Jamon's Q+A!

Some things you might want to know about Jamon:
- Achieved 11th in NSW for Legal Studies
- Got into Encore for his Music 1 Viva Voce
- An insanely high ATAR of 99.80
- Currently studying Electrical Engineering with a Coop Scholarship at UNSW

Jamon is also our Tutesmart Tutor for Mathematics and Physics. Want to be taught by a state ranker every week? Click here to learn more!

To ask a question...
1. If you haven't already, register for an ATAR Notes account by clicking here!
2. Scroll down to the Quick Reply window at the bottom of this page
3. Type your reply and click Post!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:09:01 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
Re: Jamon's State Rank Q+A: April 2nd (7pm - 9pm)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:58:47 pm »
+8
Q+A is open! Have at it fam ;D

pcjenkins

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:13:16 pm »
+5
Hey Jamon!  Just wondering if you have any tips for understanding and studying physics concepts. I know its a pretty general question but if you have any methods that worked for you most of the time or even for a particular concept specifically I would love to know!! I love your lectures btw!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:12 pm »
+7
Hey Jamon!  Just wondering if you have any tips for understanding and studying physics concepts. I know its a pretty general question but if you have any methods that worked for you most of the time or even for a particular concept specifically I would love to know!! I love your lectures btw!

Hey there, welcome to the forums!!

Super tough question tbh, but I totally get it, because this new syllabus particularly has some really messy concepts in it.

In terms of understanding the content, just try and absorb it in as many different ways as you can. The great thing about this new syllabus is that it is more uni-ready, meaning there are way more videos/resources available for it online. Google your questions, watch videos, ask us here on the forums in our Physics Q+A, etc. The more ways you hear it the more likely it will stick. If you feel super confident, explaining it to others will add new layers to your understanding! I did this all the time - For a little while I even recorded little explanatory videos for my own revision later. I love this, but never managed to sustain it - You might have better luck ;D

In terms of study, it's all about the jargon. Key words are the secret to a Band 6. So, I'd make palm cards with all the key terminology on one side, with definitions/formulas/diagrams on the other. Remembering the key words is 90% of the battle in a science subject; once you've done that chances are you've absorbed most of the content! On top of the palm cards, you could also make yourself worksheets - And no study routine is totally complete without a hefty serve of practice papers/textbook chapter reviews :)

So glad you enjoy the lectures! Coming to our next set in a few weeks?? (you can reply to me by hitting the 'Quote' button to the top right of this post ;D)

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 07:24:36 pm »
+5
Whassup, Jamon?? Hope you've been well!!!

How did you go about memorising for legal? Don't do legal, but I know there's a whole lot of stuff to memorise. Did you just review everyday, or employed specific techniques that really aided with memorisation??

Thanks! ;D ;D ;D
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 07:29:26 pm »
+9
Whassup, Jamon?? Hope you've been well!!!

How did you go about memorising for legal? Don't do legal, but I know there's a whole lot of stuff to memorise. Did you just review everyday, or employed specific techniques that really aided with memorisation??

Thanks! ;D ;D ;D

Hey! Been really well my friend, hope you have been too ;D

For Physics I leaned on key terms, for Legal I was really focused on memorising cases/legislation, evidence for my essays basically! Legal is 65% essay and 15% short answer, so it is driven by the evidence you've got to argue your points. Therefore, I did a lot of practice paragraphs and just listing key things on posters - I think it's really important to tune your study to what the exam will ask of you!

I did try more creative stuff too, but I don't think you can go past practice paragraphs/essays for the humanities, even though it might not be the most exciting thing ;)

I definitely didn't review every day though! When it felt like a natural checkpoint is usually when I'd put in some review time, at the end of each sub-topic or something similar like that. I'd recommend to myself, if I could do it over again, to write a practice paragraph per week/fortnight on what you'd covered that period. I think consistency is a really good thing, but don't stress about doing it every day ;D

Thanks for the question!

pcjenkins

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:35:57 pm »
+2
Hey there, welcome to the forums!!

Super tough question tbh, but I totally get it, because this new syllabus particularly has some really messy concepts in it.

In terms of understanding the content, just try and absorb it in as many different ways as you can. The great thing about this new syllabus is that it is more uni-ready, meaning there are way more videos/resources available for it online. Google your questions, watch videos, ask us here on the forums in our Physics Q+A, etc. The more ways you hear it the more likely it will stick. If you feel super confident, explaining it to others will add new layers to your understanding! I did this all the time - For a little while I even recorded little explanatory videos for my own revision later. I love this, but never managed to sustain it - You might have better luck ;D

In terms of study, it's all about the jargon. Key words are the secret to a Band 6. So, I'd make palm cards with all the key terminology on one side, with definitions/formulas/diagrams on the other. Remembering the key words is 90% of the battle in a science subject; once you've done that chances are you've absorbed most of the content! On top of the palm cards, you could also make yourself worksheets - And no study routine is totally complete without a hefty serve of practice papers/textbook chapter reviews :)

So glad you enjoy the lectures! Coming to our next set in a few weeks?? (you can reply to me by hitting the 'Quote' button to the top right of this post ;D)

Ok, thank you. I will definitely try and take your suggestions on board for future study!

Yes, I am excited for the upcoming lectures and am attending lectures for most of my subjects including your lectures on mathematics, math ext 1 and physics!

Arpana Agnihotri

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:42:53 pm »
+2
Hi Jamon, How do you effectively revise for a subject like legal? I get overwhelemed trying to create notes and try to keep it as interesting as possibe for myself, but i feel like i write and memorise things that i dont need. How did you organise and revise?
Thank you so much!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:52:59 pm »
+2
Hey Jamon! How are you?

I’ve always been curious as to how Encore is actually organised. You get the nomination email. Then the selection email. Then what happens from that point on? How many people perform?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

therese07

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 07:57:08 pm »
+2
Hey Jamon!

I was wondering how did you manage to time manage so effectively, with homework and assessments? My school gives a lot of homework, that is normally due the next day and on top making notes for each subject, revising the concepts, and usually having a lot of "practice exams" for year 12, which is almost everyday. I've struggled with trying to be up to date with everything, and, as a result, I tend to pull all nighters, staying up late and being way too tired to function the next day. How were you able to do everything you needed to do and still had a decent sleeping schedule on a school night?
2020: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law @ Macquarie University

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 07:57:31 pm »
+3

Ok, thank you. I will definitely try and take your suggestions on board for future study!

Yes, I am excited for the upcoming lectures and am attending lectures for most of my subjects including your lectures on mathematics, math ext 1 and physics!

Amazing! Super keen to see you there ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 08:06:25 pm »
+3
Hi Jamon, How do you effectively revise for a subject like legal? I get overwhelemed trying to create notes and try to keep it as interesting as possibe for myself, but i feel like i write and memorise things that i dont need. How did you organise and revise?
Thank you so much!

Hey Arpana! Welcome to the forums!! ;D

So first of all, if you find writing notes tedious and don't feel it's helping you, stop writing them. Notes are a means to an end, that end being having a singular reference for you while you study past papers and things. You can get them elsewhere, such as our free notes database. Huge fan of writing notes if you find it a useful exercise, but otherwise, just get them elsewhere and use that time for more interesting/useful things.

What are those things? Here is a list of some ways to study for Legal that I really like, on top of practice papers which you should be doing a lot of as well ;D

The trick to removing redundant information is to focus on the evidence. Most of your assessment is essay based, so focus on memorising essay evidence. I condensed the entirety of my Family study (25% of the course) into like half a dozen summary pages based on essays I might write. Here's an example!

Best of luck with everything! If you had any other questions let me know ;D

nishta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 08:06:56 pm »
+1
Hey,

How many hours a night did you study? How much more on weekends?

I study for 3-4 hours a night, but I feel a bit overwhelmed with everything, including major works. Should I be spending more time studying in order to stay on top of things?
HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 08:13:02 pm »
+2
Serious question: How did you know that out of all fields of engineering you knew you wanted to pick electrical, and (potentially on the same line of thought) is there any advice you'd give to someone who highkey aspires to be an engineer (potentially because they loved HSC physics), but is clueless about which field to pick?

Not serious question: Can you call the bottle flip stupid again, do it again, and succeed for once again pls.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 08:14:34 pm »
+4
Hey Jamon! How are you?

I’ve always been curious as to how Encore is actually organised. You get the nomination email. Then the selection email. Then what happens from that point on? How many people perform?

Hey Bea! I'm afraid I must disappoint you; I can't answer this because I was included in Encore for a Viva Voce/Musicology! Meaning I didn't go through the typical procedures they do to select performers - They also don't 'nominate' for Musicology because that procedure is to guarantee a balanced performance schedule on the night. My process was, "Oh hey what's this letter? OMG I GOT INTO ENCORE!" My teacher then called to congratulate me. And that's about all ;)