Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:35:10 pm

Author Topic: Emily's State Rank Q+A: March 18th (7pm-9pm)  (Read 8540 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Emily's State Rank Q+A: March 18th (7pm-9pm)
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:25:06 am »
+9
This Q+A is now open and will close at 9pm! :)
Welcome to Emily's Q+A!

Some things you might want to know about Emily:
- Achieved 6th in NSW for Business Studies, with a mark of 98/100
- Band 6's across her subjects, including Economics, Legal Studies, SOR and English Advanced
- An amazing ATAR of 99.10
- Currently studying Commerce/Law at UNSW

Emily is also our Tutesmart Tutor for Business Studies and Legal Studies. Want to be taught by a state ranker every week? Click here to learn more!

To ask a question...
1. If you haven't already, register for an ATAR Notes account by clicking here!
2. Scroll down to the Quick Reply window at the bottom of this page
3. Type your reply and click Post!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:00:08 pm by jamonwindeyer »

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: Emily's State Rank Q+A: March 18th (7pm-9pm)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:00:52 pm »
+3
Hey Everyone!

This thread is now open. I'll be answering all your questions for the next 2 hours!!

Comment away ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:05:29 pm »
+2
How exactly did you study for business? I struggle for motivation and get easily distracted
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 07:06:18 pm »
+1
Hey Emily!
(may be a little belated, but congrats on your results :D)
Here's some questions!
1. I was just wondering on the crucial aspects needed to state rank business studies, as that is one of my ultimate goals.
2. Is it possible to state rank with only 1 case study?
3. What was the hardest topic, and why?
4. Any other small tips and tricks you think many kids don't know about?
Thanks!
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 07:06:29 pm »
+1
If you had to pick one thing that scored you the state rank in Business Studies, what would it be? ;D

Lexie.palmer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 07:07:04 pm »
+1
Hi Emily!!
I'm currently doing prelim business studies and I'm finding it hard to remember some of the key terms I need to know. Any tips??
Also, how many hours of study per week would you recommend for someone aiming over a 90 ATAR?
Lexie xx

finn.b14

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 07:09:04 pm »
+1
Hi Emily,
How are you finding your law degree at UNSW? Do you think a law degree is worth it if you are not planning to pursue a law profession? (i.e. do you know if it would be useful for DFAT?) :)

JadeAlicia2002

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:11:38 pm »
+1
How do you write a discursive text??? I’m really struggling for my year 11 Advanced English assignment. :'(

jen10

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:12:58 pm »
+1
Hi Emily!

- How did/would you study for HSC English Advance throughout the year and before an exam
- How did you study for HSC Economics and how did you memorise all concepts and stats

Thanks in advance!

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 07:13:17 pm »
+6
How exactly did you study for business? I struggle for motivation and get easily distracted

Hey Grace!

First of all welcome to the forums! Business Studies is often known as one of the 'driest' subjects in the HSC so many people just call it a 'bludge' and therefore lose all motivation. However, business is definitely one of the HEAVIEST content subjects there is as it is only made up of core subjects.

Personally, when I studies for Business Studies I always had my study notes done weeks in advance, giving me more than enough time to study for the exams. I also made summary sheets closer to the exam, with just some key points that I might not remember as easily as others and a summary for all my case studies. This allowed me to quickly look at them before going into the exam. However, I also did take the path of route learning and just did what I had to learn the content. I did this by writing out summary points of all my notes and as silly as it sounds, I talked to myself aloud.

As you are struggling for motivation, I think its best to find out what learning style works best for you. Whether that be visual, kinaesthetic, auditory, etc. Also try and research businesses that you personally like for your case studies. Hopefully that will minimise the feeling of 'oh I have to do it'.

Hope this helps!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:18:56 pm by emilyygeorgexx »
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 07:17:14 pm »
+2
Legit question: For aspiring law students, what kind of preparation do you recommend prospective UNSW students to do, in preparation for the LAT?

Other question: I heard rumours that you flex niche branded T-shirts. Is this true?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:26:50 pm by RuiAce »

Rohit Bhat

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 07:20:39 pm »
+1
Hey Emily,

How do you approach long response questions?

And
I currently have an assessment which requires me to conduct a "Business Intelligence Report into a highly successful product" and enquire into critical factors while evaluating how it contributed to the products success....So would you recommend any products?

Thanks,
Rohit

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 07:24:00 pm »
+4
Hey Emily!
(may be a little belated, but congrats on your results :D)
Here's some questions!
1. I was just wondering on the crucial aspects needed to state rank business studies, as that is one of my ultimate goals.
2. Is it possible to state rank with only 1 case study?
3. What was the hardest topic, and why?
4. Any other small tips and tricks you think many kids don't know about?
Thanks!

Hi KingTings!

Thank you so much!

1. I think there are a combination of lots of things needed to really excel in Business Studies. The first would be knowing your syllabus inside out. This will allow you to never get tricked by a HSC examiner since you know every single syllabus dot point you can get tested on. Secondly, extensively knowing the content will always allow you to have more than enough information to answer any question with different mark allocations. This could also include you going outside your textbook and doing that as your own independent research. Thirdly, knowing your case studies really well. Yes, it is good that you can recall what the case study is about but its all about your ability to apply the case study to the content and how it affects the business' operations. You need to make a 'judgement based on a criteria' to satisfy the B6 marking criteria and this will be evident if you use statistics to support your claims in your essay.

2. I think anything is possible! It's not really about how many case studies you have but rather how well you know it and if you can apply it to any business situation. Yes, it is possible to do it with one but my advice and what satisfies the B6 marking criteria is to at least have 2.

3. Hardest topic for me personally was human resources. Only because I just thought it was so dry and just so much content to learn about. Like talk about that extra effectiveness section at the end!

4. Knowing the smaller syllabus dot points for each topic. Those one's kids really overlook but lately the HSC has been testing them quite frequently. For example, the 'implantation, monitoring and controlling' dot point in marketing is one that students really brush over but the HSC has tested it 2 years in a row. So know your syllabus!

All the best for this year :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »
+3
If you had to pick one thing that scored you the state rank in Business Studies, what would it be? ;D

KNOW YOUR WHOLE SYLLABUS INSIDE AND OUT!!!

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 07:27:42 pm »
+4
Hi Emily!!
I'm currently doing prelim business studies and I'm finding it hard to remember some of the key terms I need to know. Any tips??
Also, how many hours of study per week would you recommend for someone aiming over a 90 ATAR?
Lexie xx

Hi Lexie!!

Hope you are having a great started to Year 11, it was definitely one of my favourite years! I think to remember key terms making flashcards or using mind maps that are really colourful helps with memory retention. This was definitely one of my fav strategies to study with.

In terms of study, I don't think its the amount of time you spend studying but rather the quality of study and how effective you make your time when you are studying. However, if you do want a numerical number I approximately spent 3-4 hours everyday after school studying.

All the best!!