Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:21 pm

Author Topic: Subject to drop for Year 12? Want to study psychology after school  (Read 2821 times)

alysha_ibarburu

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Thank you so much if you are reading this,
I just need some guidance on what subject I should drop for Year 12. Just before I get into it at the moment I have 12 units and I want advise on what subject to drop so that I have 10 units.

After school I would like to study psychology at a university like Macquarie. My dream course is a 94 atar however psychology ranges from the mid 60s to high 90s depending on the course and University.

The subjects that I do at the moment (with my mark and rank for my prelim exams) include:
(note: I know some of my places overall as I asked my teachers)

Extension English - 1/4 (first overall)
80%

English Advanced - 13/40
80%

Mathematics Advanced- 24/30
Worst mark I have every received, just know I failed

Biology - 9/30 (third overall)
73%

PDHPE - 1/10 (first overall)
90%

Society and Culture - 1/7 (first overall)
94%

Studies of religion II - 2/74
98%

I have already dropped Ext English as I am the only one who wanted to keep it so I would have had to do the course by myself, and I am moving to standard maths as advanced was too challenging for me (I only did it as you need statistics for psychology and this is a prerequisite for uni's like Sydney Uni).

So my options are to drop Bio, PDHPE, Society, or Maths. It is important to note that I love all my subjects (Society is my favourite) and I enjoy depth studies and the PIP so this is not a concern. At first I was going to drop PD but my careers advisor said that would not be smart as it is highly likely I will get a Band 6 with the results I have got compared to Biology and especially Maths. So at the moment I am weighing between Biology and Standard. I guess I need advise on whether Standard Maths is important for what I want to do in the future etc.

I know this was really long (and trust me I could put more detail in) but I just want my situation to be crystal clear. And again if you read this far thank you!

Regards,
Alysha.

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Subject to drop for Year 12? Want to study psychology after school
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 09:25:27 pm »
Thank you so much if you are reading this,
I just need some guidance on what subject I should drop for Year 12. Just before I get into it at the moment I have 12 units and I want advise on what subject to drop so that I have 10 units.

After school I would like to study psychology at a university like Macquarie. My dream course is a 94 atar however psychology ranges from the mid 60s to high 90s depending on the course and University.

The subjects that I do at the moment (with my mark and rank for my prelim exams) include:
(note: I know some of my places overall as I asked my teachers)

Extension English - 1/4 (first overall)
80%

English Advanced - 13/40
80%

Mathematics Advanced- 24/30
Worst mark I have every received, just know I failed

Biology - 9/30 (third overall)
73%

PDHPE - 1/10 (first overall)
90%

Society and Culture - 1/7 (first overall)
94%

Studies of religion II - 2/74
98%

I have already dropped Ext English as I am the only one who wanted to keep it so I would have had to do the course by myself, and I am moving to standard maths as advanced was too challenging for me (I only did it as you need statistics for psychology and this is a prerequisite for uni's like Sydney Uni).

So my options are to drop Bio, PDHPE, Society, or Maths. It is important to note that I love all my subjects (Society is my favourite) and I enjoy depth studies and the PIP so this is not a concern. At first I was going to drop PD but my careers advisor said that would not be smart as it is highly likely I will get a Band 6 with the results I have got compared to Biology and especially Maths. So at the moment I am weighing between Biology and Standard. I guess I need advise on whether Standard Maths is important for what I want to do in the future etc.

I know this was really long (and trust me I could put more detail in) but I just want my situation to be crystal clear. And again if you read this far thank you!

Regards,
Alysha.

Hey there Alysha!
You seem very dedicated to all your subjects and have some really good ranks!
I'd say if you like your subjects, definitely keep them for at least a term for year 12 before dropping one. This is because the year 12 syllabus can be different from the year 11 one. I definitely saw some of my ranks change due to a different syllabus which I was not so good at or my classmates were better at. This is why I kept all 12 of my units. (not to scare you off year 12) Some topics are just different!  ;D
See what you like and remember you can keep all 12 units as one can act as a buffer!

If I had to give you an answer now, I would drop Standard
As the reading aspects of this course are really different from Adv. and it is quite difficult to achieve a band 6 in this subject unless you do REALLY well

Good luck for year 12!!

p.s. I was also looking at the psychology course at Macquarie!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:31:29 pm by _OwO_ »

sara.vce

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Subject to drop for Year 12? Want to study psychology after school
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:18:25 pm »
Subject choices can be really difficult and I don't want to repeat an over-used cliche but choosing what you love compared to what you need is so important!
I think you should keep a maths (even though I may be a little biased in that respect) as it can open up so many doors for the future.
You could also keep the subject you are doing the best in out of your remaining choices (which seems to be Society). This makes so much sense as you'll make the most of the subject, learn heaps and make friends with like-minded students.
Out of bio and PDHPE, you seem to be doing really well in the latter so personally I would keep that one, leaving Biology to be discarded.
Please don't take any of this too personally as I have no idea if this is the best option for you! Nevertheless, I hope my advice helped at least a little.

P.S. If you're interested, I have a post on my blog that you might like; How to pick your Year 12 Subjects. You can read it here --> https://chamomileandcolour.wordpress.com/2019/08/01/how-to-pick-your-subjects/