Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:43 am

Author Topic: Has anyone turned their lives around?  (Read 1123 times)

JwL12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +3
Has anyone turned their lives around?
« on: June 19, 2019, 05:01:42 pm »
+8
You know, it just hit me that as a kid, I was that guy who never listened to the teacher and thought it was 'cool' to get in trouble constantly. In primary school, I was appalling at everything academically, especially maths (I didn't know fractions until year 7 :( ), and now I'm currently doing a teaching course to become a secondary school maths teacher.
Times are weird

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: Has anyone turned their lives around?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 05:43:48 pm »
+7
I guess that kind of thing happened to me too. Back in primary school, I was always the fun kid, or always trying to be the fun kid. I remember always watching TV in the afternoon, never even studying... eventually this habit lead me to getting an equivalent of an F in science, english and maths. Over the next couple of years, got a bit better and better and now scoring some of the highest grades in the class. Times are really weird.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 08:56:32 pm »
+9
I've never related to a post so much

Weird how things can change, isn't it? From year 7 to year 11 I was the biggest dropkick. Probably had more detentions than passing grades (for my final Year 10 science exam, I got 7%). It wasn't until a month into Year 12 that I began to see university as a potential pathway (yeah I turned around really late). My peers, teachers, and even parents all thought I was batshit insane for thinking I could get in. My lit teacher once bluntly told me he wished I wasn't in his class (tbh I don't blame him).

Throughout the year I forfeited everything to get into uni - deleted my social media, skipped parties and social events etc (mainly because I needed to catch up on about 3 years of school). In the end, I got the second highest ATAR in my cohort and duxed 3 subjects, including lit. Now I'm at uni, also going down the path of education, and my principal and teachers get me to go back to the school every now and then to help the current VCE students with their studies.

Just shows it's never too late to make things work as long as you put your mind to it. ;D
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

JwL12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 04:56:19 pm »
+3
I guess that kind of thing happened to me too. Back in primary school, I was always the fun kid, or always trying to be the fun kid. I remember always watching TV in the afternoon, never even studying... eventually this habit lead me to getting an equivalent of an F in science, english and maths. Over the next couple of years, got a bit better and better and now scoring some of the highest grades in the class. Times are really weird.
Good on you mate, it's great to hear this.
I also spent a lot of my junior high school years procrastinating. I even wanted to be a professional gamer at that time (I had like 3000 hours from year 7 to year 8 playing counter strike)...  :P

JwL12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 05:05:45 pm »
+3
I've never related to a post so much

Weird how things can change, isn't it? From year 7 to year 11 I was the biggest dropkick. Probably had more detentions than passing grades (for my final Year 10 science exam, I got 7%). It wasn't until a month into Year 12 that I began to see university as a potential pathway (yeah I turned around really late). My peers, teachers, and even parents all thought I was batshit insane for thinking I could get in. My lit teacher once bluntly told me he wished I wasn't in his class (tbh I don't blame him).

Throughout the year I forfeited everything to get into uni - deleted my social media, skipped parties and social events etc (mainly because I needed to catch up on about 3 years of school). In the end, I got the second highest ATAR in my cohort and duxed 3 subjects, including lit. Now I'm at uni, also going down the path of education, and my principal and teachers get me to go back to the school every now and then to help the current VCE students with their studies.

Just shows it's never too late to make things work as long as you put your mind to it. ;D
It's great you found your feet, but what's surprising is that you found it in year 12! So late into the high school life.
I understand about the detention bit. I went to an all boys school so everyone there were like-minded, and you know damn well you're not going to pay attention in school when everyone fucks around all the time.

I wasn't dux, but I did manage to dux the 3 maths which was pretty neat, and a big step up from my incompetent maths skill from before (2/35 for my geometry assignment in year 7 yeet). However, I didn't delete my social media nor did I skip parties as I think it's good to blow off steam once in a while, but it's great you were committed to getting into uni, and it definitely payed off.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 07:58:03 pm »
+4
I even wanted to be a professional gamer at that time (I had like 3000 hours from year 7 to year 8 playing counter strike)...  :P

lol me in year 9 and last year

for me personally games drew me into a fake reality and took away precious time I could've utilised. .  .but u gotta have some fun as a kid?

anyways I guess i dont have time to play video games anymore . . . to much work, I wanna make these 2 years count!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:59:50 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University