Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:20:24 pm

Author Topic: Can't be fucked doing year 12  (Read 7509 times)  Share 

mehviral

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Can't be fucked doing year 12
« on: December 21, 2018, 04:57:46 pm »
Hey guys,

So I'm currently attending Melbourne High, and to cut it straight, I've been fucking up my results like really badly.
I'm going to year 12 in 2019 and yeah I don't really think I'm prepared enough for it.
Ever since I was in year 9, all the way to year 11, I've done minimal work (perk of being at mhs, teachers are chill). This year in particular, trust me when I say this, I didn't study shit. I didn't read the English books, never did assignments, sometimes wagged class but not all the time, didn't do any practise exams lol. Despite all this, I'm still passing, though very borderline.

And please, for the love of god, do not say I'm start because I go to a selective school. This is probably the most bullshit and cringe statement someone can say (every select school kid has heard this before, it gets super old)

I'm writing this post to see if theres any shred of light you can give me to get me back on my feet (though gonna be pretty hard because I'm on the verge of giving up entirely).
lol reading this back makes me look like an idiot  ;D oh well.
School: Melbourne High School

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Can't be fucked doing year 12
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 06:16:22 pm »
+11
Hey,

Having done preparation in earlier years gives a head start, but having done that or not doesn't guarantee anything. I really didn't live up to my potential in year 9 to the point where my science teacher told me I "wouldn't cope with VCE" but I turned things around and when I had them as my bio 3/4 teacher in year 11 I got a 47 study score.

You've recognised that you're not where you want to be, and that's the first step. The fact that you bothered to type this up at all & that you want to get back on your feet is a good sign, ok? Don't sell yourself short just yet.

My recommendations:
- For me at least, a lot of procrastination comes from perfectionism and anxiety. Exercising, sleeping better, eating better, staying hydrated, and talking to people can all help with this one. Focus on little habits and small improvements at the start. Can't find the energy to write an essay? Just do 5 minutes of work on the introduction. Can't be bothered going through these practice questions? Do a few multiple choice ones.
- Use to do lists, and don't put too many things on there (especially big ones). There's something about ticking things off & being able to see progress that's rewarding
- Trying writing down your reasons for trying on a piece of paper. Put it somewhere where you can read it when you're finding it hard.
- Work somewhere where you don't do recreation
- Do one small productive thing as soon as you can after getting home/to a study space

I hope that this helps, & let me know if you have any questions or comments :)

kiwikoala

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:22:16 pm »
+1
By year 12, most students at MHS know it's time to knuckle down no matter where they were before then. If there's a time to actually try then it's year 12. I know many examples of students showing themselves to be effective workers despite a little bit of mucking around in earlier years (also some who didn't do shit). Make use of your peers and materials, ask for help when necessary. if you put in the work, you'll reap the benefits.

As @miniturtle said, your attitude is in the right direction, you're in the rank 2 school of Victoria currently, just gotta pull it together for next year is all. I think you've got the potential. :)

Just... don't be disheartened if you "fail" the first Methods SACs. That was a cruel beast.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:23:55 pm by stevenhuyn »

mehviral

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 06:46:43 pm »
By year 12, most students at MHS know it's time to knuckle down no matter where they were before then. If there's a time to actually try then it's year 12. I know many examples of students showing themselves to be effective workers despite a little bit of mucking around in earlier years (also some who didn't do shit). Make use of your peers and materials, ask for help when necessary. if you put in the work, you'll reap the benefits.

As @miniturtle said, your attitude is in the right direction, you're in the rank 2 school of Victoria currently, just gotta pull it together for next year is all. I think you've got the potential. :)

Just... don't be disheartened if you "fail" the first Methods SACs. That was a cruel beast.
Yeh, should probably cut back on the iPad games and stop playing big 2 in the library everyday.
Bro, seeing and ungraded is normal for me. Have you never done the history and geography assignments?
BTW what does 'you're in the rank 2 school of Vic' mean? Our school is just average at best with studious kids all stuck in one place. Don't think ranking means shit anymore

aspiringantelope

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 06:50:51 pm »
+3
Something that gets you motivated?
Future aspirations? Courses you want to get in? It'll make you work harder for the subjects that are prerequisites.
Also, working with a friend can easily get you motivated.

mehviral

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 06:59:30 pm »
Hey,

Having done preparation in earlier years gives a head start, but having done that or not doesn't guarantee anything. I really didn't live up to my potential in year 9 to the point where my science teacher told me I "wouldn't cope with VCE" but I turned things around and when I had them as my bio 3/4 teacher in year 11 I got a 47 study score.

You've recognised that you're not where you want to be, and that's the first step. The fact that you bothered to type this up at all & that you want to get back on your feet is a good sign, ok? Don't sell yourself short just yet.

My recommendations:
- For me at least, a lot of procrastination comes from perfectionism and anxiety. Exercising, sleeping better, eating better, staying hydrated, and talking to people can all help with this one. Focus on little habits and small improvements at the start. Can't find the energy to write an essay? Just do 5 minutes of work on the introduction. Can't be bothered going through these practice questions? Do a few multiple choice ones.
- Use to do lists, and don't put too many things on there (especially big ones). There's something about ticking things off & being able to see progress that's rewarding
- Trying writing down your reasons for trying on a piece of paper. Put it somewhere where you can read it when you're finding it hard.
- Work somewhere where you don't do recreation
- Do one small productive thing as soon as you can after getting home/to a study space

I hope that this helps, & let me know if you have any questions or comments :)
Thank you.
Damn these recommendations are too much for me lol, but Ill give it a try. You got any recommendations to do on the train to school? What I normally do is just sleep/try to look at notes

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 07:02:27 pm »
+4
Yeh, should probably cut back on the iPad games and stop playing big 2 in the library everyday.
Bro, seeing and ungraded is normal for me. Have you never done the history and geography assignments?
BTW what does 'you're in the rank 2 school of Vic' mean? Our school is just average at best with studious kids all stuck in one place. Don't think ranking means shit anymore
the 2nd ranking is probably more about your school having the resources/culture/atmosphere so if anyone actually wants to do well it's possible and accessible to them. Although imo the ranking is a lot more reflective of the students rather than the school - most of the students would do very well would have done similar regardless of which school they went to.

Thank you.
Damn these recommendations are too much for me lol, but Ill give it a try. You got any recommendations to do on the train to school? What I normally do is just sleep/try to look at notes
as for the train its really gonna be dependent on the individual. If I ever used public transport I really wouldn't do anything except listen to music or watch some non-educational videos. However, I know that some students will look over flashcards on their phone or even listen to a podcast on a particular vce subejct.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 07:12:26 pm »
+5
Thank you.

No problem

Yeah, don't feel like you have to be doing them all at the start - try out a couple of things and see how it goes, feel free to try different ones if you don't find the ones you picked useful, or to add new ones if you get the hang of others.

Imo looking at notes is pretty useless. It's so hard to focus on & generally slips out of your brain. Here a some things you could try instead:
- use a flashcard set on Quizlet (I like the "learn" and "match" modes)
- listen to a relevant podcast
- organise your timetable / to-do lists  if you're using them
- use physical flashcards
- watch videos relating to your subjects (download in advance unless you've got heaps of data)
- look at recent questions & answers for your subjects on AN
- use educational apps related to your subjects
- sometimes you just need a rest & you won't be able to do productive stuff on the train & that's alright

Obviously it would be a bit hard to do all of these at once, but see if any resonate with you more / seem more achievable and swap to a different one if It isn't working out.   I'd also say don't worry if it takes you a while to learn how to be productive on the train, I travelled about 3 hours each way in semester 1 and it still took me a long time to get the hang of using ptv time effectively

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 07:44:30 pm »
+7
Legitimately felt like I was reading a description of my year 11 self. I feel you dude. Seriously.

For some reassurance, I was much more unmotivated than you are right now before I was in year 12 - I originally wanted to drop out at the end of year 10 and never do VCE at all, but was more or less forced to stay in school by my parents. In year 11 I did pretty much everything you said in the OP, which was nothing productive. I failed two subjects in year 11 and the school initially did not let me continue into 3/4 literature and chemistry. And I was also at an underrepresented school so our year 11 exams are probably like MHS’s year 9 ones. I would continue roasting myself further as I have plenty of material but I think you get the point lol. ;D

From my experience, what I did to turn things around in year 12 included

- getting more organised. (miniturtle have suggested a to-do list, which I also recommend.) What I found useful was to write down everything I needed to do that week on Sunday night, and tick through things as I go. If by Friday night there were still things left undone, I would work through them on the weekend. If I had done everything, then I use the weekend to chill. That way you’re more likely to be productive throughout the week.

- moving away from technology. In year 12, I took all notes and wrote all essays by hand. Usually while studying, I would put my phone and laptop on airplane mode just so that I wouldn’t get distracted.

- spending time with people who are also motivated to do well. I’m sure that’s a piece of cake when you go to MHS ;) What I found was that hanging around people who always cries “Omg I’m gonna fail” really doesn’t feel you with positivity. Talking to people with similar aspirations definitely help.

- realising WHY you need to work harder in school. This is something you’ll have to figure out yourself - you have realised that you’ve been academically unproductive this year, which is a good start. Now ask yourself why you need to change things around - have a personal reason for why you need to do well in year 12, not just because ‘parents’ or ‘social pressure’ because those won’t let you last the whole year. From my experience, I found that my attitude to school completely changed after having a personal reason to do well.

Just out of curiosity - what subjects are you doing for VCE? You mentioned history and geography above. Didn’t realise MHS offered those subjects! ;D

Good luck!

ADD - re: public transport, I did this thing where I wrote a bunch of definitions into songs, recorded them, and played them while on PT to and from school. Something for you to try? ;D
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

mehviral

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:55:17 pm »
Legitimately felt like I was reading a description of my year 11 self. I feel you dude. Seriously.

For some reassurance, I was much more unmotivated than you are right now before I was in year 12 - I originally wanted to drop out at the end of year 10 and never do VCE at all, but was more or less forced to stay in school by my parents. In year 11 I did pretty much everything you said in the OP, which was nothing productive. I failed two subjects in year 11 and the school initially did not let me continue into 3/4 literature and chemistry. And I was also at an underrepresented school so our year 11 exams are probably like MHS’s year 9 ones. I would continue roasting myself further as I have plenty of material but I think you get the point lol. ;D

From my experience, what I did to turn things around in year 12 included

- getting more organised. (miniturtle have suggested a to-do list, which I also recommend.) What I found useful was to write down everything I needed to do that week on Sunday night, and tick through things as I go. If by Friday night there were still things left undone, I would work through them on the weekend. If I had done everything, then I use the weekend to chill. That way you’re more likely to be productive throughout the week.

- moving away from technology. In year 12, I took all notes and wrote all essays by hand. Usually while studying, I would put my phone and laptop on airplane mode just so that I wouldn’t get distracted.

- spending time with people who are also motivated to do well. I’m sure that’s a piece of cake when you go to MHS ;) What I found was that hanging around people who always cries “Omg I’m gonna fail” really doesn’t feel you with positivity. Talking to people with similar aspirations definitely help.

- realising WHY you need to work harder in school. This is something you’ll have to figure out yourself - you have realised that you’ve been academically unproductive this year, which is a good start. Now ask yourself why you need to change things around - have a personal reason for why you need to do well in year 12, not just because ‘parents’ or ‘social pressure’ because those won’t let you last the whole year. From my experience, I found that my attitude to school completely changed after having a personal reason to do well.

Just out of curiosity - what subjects are you doing for VCE? You mentioned history and geography above. Didn’t realise MHS offered those subjects! ;D

Good luck!

ADD - re: public transport, I did this thing where I wrote a bunch of definitions into songs, recorded them, and played them while on PT to and from school. Something for you to try? ;D
I'm doing
English
Methods
Legal
Bio (please, do not do this subject at mhs)
Chem (don't do this one either)

lol history and geography. here's something to remember, if a mhs student talks about history or georaphy, they are usually referring to year 9/10 (as they are core subjects). don't think anyone actually chooses or cares about these subjects in vce, hence why everyone fucks around in class and fails the exams for it.

I hate writing things down because it's slower and doesn't stick in my brain, i'm quite fast at typing so this is btter for me to write down notes

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 09:58:44 pm »
Should probably start studying now. Trust me, I learnt it the hard way.

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:09:12 pm »
+5
this post is the biggest mood lmao but here's my 2 cents:
i go (now went  :o ) to a local public school where there isn't really a massive culture on doing really well at school unlike at MHS.
i've had heaps of friends who did nothing from year 7 to year 11 but turned around in year 12, it is possible.
things that worked for me as a lazy person:
-> quizlet: this is especially great if you are typing your notes. i would structure my notes in a flashcard form (e.g write out the definitions for key terms), then i would copy and paste this on quizlet. this probably saved me 28913129832 hours then writing out flashcards. sometimes if i was super lazy, i would just write notes on quizlet but in flashcard form  8)
-> youtube videos for bio, chem etc are also really good.
-> listen to podcast during pt --> recommend douchy's biology podcast
->friends !!!!!: this is the major one. surround yourself with hardworking friends who want you to do your best. if you have friends who don't really care, this can be really unmotivating especially when you're trying to study for a chem sac and they are all out  :)
        --> atarnotes: perhaps start a vce journey journal. find a friend here where you guys can both keep each other accountable with studying
-> like miniturtle said, try and get good sleep (bed time should be no later than 11:30 imo), drink water, eat vegetables (not instant noodles)
having good sleep is paramount. you need the energy to study.
-> NOT BURNING OUT !!!!!!: with all these good tips from everyone, you might be feeling motivated and decide to go all in! this is good, but please make sure you don't burn out. you want to take breaks and look after yourself! after every sac, treat yourself. the key to vce is consistency.

definitely if you can, don't play games during year 12 or limit  them on a friday night

Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

mehviral

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 10:25:55 pm »
this post is the biggest mood lmao but here's my 2 cents:
i go (now went  :o ) to a local public school where there isn't really a massive culture on doing really well at school unlike at MHS.
i've had heaps of friends who did nothing from year 7 to year 11 but turned around in year 12, it is possible.
things that worked for me as a lazy person:
-> quizlet: this is especially great if you are typing your notes. i would structure my notes in a flashcard form (e.g write out the definitions for key terms), then i would copy and paste this on quizlet. this probably saved me 28913129832 hours then writing out flashcards. sometimes if i was super lazy, i would just write notes on quizlet but in flashcard form  8)
-> youtube videos for bio, chem etc are also really good.
-> listen to podcast during pt --> recommend douchy's biology podcast
->friends !!!!!: this is the major one. surround yourself with hardworking friends who want you to do your best. if you have friends who don't really care, this can be really unmotivating especially when you're trying to study for a chem sac and they are all out  :)
        --> atarnotes: perhaps start a vce journey journal. find a friend here where you guys can both keep each other accountable with studying
-> like miniturtle said, try and get good sleep (bed time should be no later than 11:30 imo), drink water, eat vegetables (not instant noodles)
having good sleep is paramount. you need the energy to study.
-> NOT BURNING OUT !!!!!!: with all these good tips from everyone, you might be feeling motivated and decide to go all in! this is good, but please make sure you don't burn out. you want to take breaks and look after yourself! after every sac, treat yourself. the key to vce is consistency.

definitely if you can, don't play games during year 12 or limit  them on a friday night

Thank you.
Cue cards don't work for me. This year, I tried to use them everyday to remember the polyatomic ions, and yeah guess who still doesn't remember them?
I'd rather just stick with reading and absorbing info rather than trial and error.

Dont like podcasts either. If I can barely stay awake in class, how would I tolerate a podcast? :P

Good point on the friend bit.

No clue what this vce journal is, but by the looks of it, many people are writing bucket loads of texts on their 'journal'.
Fuck that lol (no disrespect tho, i've skimmed through some and they looked pretty good). Why would I make an essay about my life when I could use that time to write an essay for english (sorry, but i'm being honest).

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 10:50:10 pm »
+2
Thank you.
Cue cards don't work for me. This year, I tried to use them everyday to remember the polyatomic ions, and yeah guess who still doesn't remember them?
I'd rather just stick with reading and absorbing info rather than trial and error.

Dont like podcasts either. If I can barely stay awake in class, how would I tolerate a podcast? :P

Good point on the friend bit.

No clue what this vce journal is, but by the looks of it, many people are writing bucket loads of texts on their 'journal'.
Fuck that lol (no disrespect tho, i've skimmed through some and they looked pretty good). Why would I make an essay about my life when I could use that time to write an essay for english (sorry, but i'm being honest).

Flashcards aren't something that usually work for me at all but quizlet did so I'd recommend giving it a shot (even if you just use pre-prepared sets made by other users so you don't have to sink time into typing definitions up)

From this post and earlier ones it really sounds like you'd benefit from getting more sleep. You might be surprised how much it impacts memory, self dicipline etc.
Improving sleep is easier said than done, but still... seems like maybe this should be a focus

You could run a non-essayish one if you wanted to, but it's certainly not something you have to do by any stretch. If you did want to find out more, there should be a stickied thread in that section explaining them.

mehviral

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 11:01:26 pm »
Flashcards aren't something that usually work for me at all but quizlet did so I'd recommend giving it a shot (even if you just use pre-prepared sets made by other users so you don't have to sink time into typing definitions up)

From this post and earlier ones it really sounds like you'd benefit from getting more sleep. You might be surprised how much it impacts memory, self dicipline etc.
Improving sleep is easier said than done, but still... seems like maybe this should be a focus

You could run a non-essayish one if you wanted to, but it's certainly not something you have to do by any stretch. If you did want to find out more, there should be a stickied thread in that section explaining them.
Thank you.
Very weird because I sleep 6 hours a day on a school night, despite not doing any assignments (usually this is what keeps select school kids pulling allnighters).
Do you go to a select school? I'm surprised as it seems it looks like you have everything under control