Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:59:45 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Language Question Thread  (Read 151469 times)  Share 

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
Re: English Language Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2017, 05:26:00 pm »
Does anyone have any examples of where dysphemisms or taboo language is a good thing? (preferably recent) Preferably pm me it because my teacher specifically saud  not to use examples on atarnotes lul :/ but you can post here if you want
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

eru

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2017, 10:34:36 am »
Hey guys, I have a few questions:
1. How can I add depth to my essays without writing more? I'm struggling to finish the exam on time so I can't afford to write more but I still want to write a high quality essay. Any advice?
2. My ACs get really repetitive and boring to write after a while. If it the text is informal it'll just be like 'Feature X contributes to the text's informality. Feature Y also lowers the register. A lowered register helps the author to establish themselves as relatable and friendly, and thus they can maintain the audience's interest'. Is there any way I can make it more interesting/specific? What do examiners like to see?
3. Is it possible to do well even though you've made up some examples? I'm pretty nervous about not having relevant examples for the essay.
Thanks!

ameeria1002

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Ballarat Grammar
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2017, 05:22:01 pm »
Hey everyone,
I am a bit stressing out since I just saw a company practice exam that has 2 texts for section b (the analytical commentary!)
I haven't seen this ever in the VCAA papers but I am a bit nervous if it comes up this year
Does anyone know if it could?? Because I have no idea how to write a AC comparing 2 texts
Thank you!

EulerFan102

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2017, 06:22:41 pm »
+3
Hey guys, I have a few questions:
1. How can I add depth to my essays without writing more? I'm struggling to finish the exam on time so I can't afford to write more but I still want to write a high quality essay. Any advice?
2. My ACs get really repetitive and boring to write after a while. If it the text is informal it'll just be like 'Feature X contributes to the text's informality. Feature Y also lowers the register. A lowered register helps the author to establish themselves as relatable and friendly, and thus they can maintain the audience's interest'. Is there any way I can make it more interesting/specific? What do examiners like to see?
3. Is it possible to do well even though you've made up some examples? I'm pretty nervous about not having relevant examples for the essay.
Thanks!

Hey, great questions btw! Here are my thoughts on them ;D

1. A great way to add depth to essays is to find conflicts or complexities within the topic. Can you think a contrasting example? Can you challenge the essay topic in a particular way? Here's an example: imagine the essay topic was simply "Language reflects the context." A more straight-forward essay may talk only about how different contextual factors influence a text. So how do you talk about complexities and conflicts? Well, how do multiple contextual factors interact and influence language? What if there are conflicting contextual factors? Can people go against the context and use language that doesn't quite 'fit'? (e.g. swear in a job interview, use slang in parliament) Why do people do this?
2. My answer is very similar to the previous one, really. Finding areas of conflict and complexities are always interesting to analyse, and will always add a whole lot of depth to ACs. Conflicting social purposes, a mixed register, conflicting functions, the power balance between interlocutors; all of these are really great to analyse in detail.
3. VCAA mentions every year how good it is to use contemporary Australian examples, and it's great for a whole range of reasons. That being said, there's no need to stress if you're struggling to find enough examples, because: a) there's still plenty of time before the exam, and so plenty of time to gather some more examples; b) your analysis and discussion is in many ways more important than the examples you use; and c) it's often hard to find 2017 Aussie examples for particular essay prompts, e.g. language change, internet language, as the changes and trends have not yet filtered up into the media where we tend to get all our examples, and I think VCAA recognises this difficulty.

Hope this helps, best of luck!  ;D

EulerFan102

• Forum Regular
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2017, 06:33:46 pm »
+3
Hey everyone,
I am a bit stressing out since I just saw a company practice exam that has 2 texts for section b (the analytical commentary!)
I haven't seen this ever in the VCAA papers but I am a bit nervous if it comes up this year
Does anyone know if it could?? Because I have no idea how to write a AC comparing 2 texts
Thank you!

Hey there!
Technically it is possible. VCAA has specified that "Section B will consist of an analytical commentary on the language in one or more texts" (quote from here). Two texts for a short answer sections used to be fairly common with one of the older study designs, but it's something that I don't think has happened for a few years now. As such, I wouldn't stress too much about getting 2 texts for the AC, but it is possible.
An AC on 2 texts would probably differ somewhat from the standard. It would still be important to analyse each text's language and relate back to function/social purpose/register as is standard. However, for a 2-text AC it would be interesting to then discuss the similarities and differences in the texts' language, and relate this back to the differing functions/social purpose etc.
Hope this helps  ;D

Alexicology

• Trailblazer
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

For AC, can I structure my paragraphs using subsystems or do I have to structure them by register/social purpose/ context etc.?

Thanks,

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2017, 01:11:10 pm »
+5
Hi guys,

For AC, can I structure my paragraphs using subsystems or do I have to structure them by register/social purpose/ context etc.?

Thanks,

Structure it in the best way for that text, there is no set structure that you HAVE to follow

Just make sure that when you discuss the meta-lang you relate to it to function social purpose etc

Alexicology

• Trailblazer
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2017, 01:15:59 pm »
+1
Structure it in the best way for that text, there is no set structure that you HAVE to follow

Just make sure that when you discuss the meta-lang you relate to it to function social purpose etc

Thank you so much :)

jh;)

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2017, 11:21:47 am »
For the AC, do you need to have a topic sentence at the start of each paragraph? Or can you just dive into it?
Also, if an example I'm analysing is repeated many times, do I just cite a few line references?
Thanks

ashlinholdsworth

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2017, 02:47:14 pm »
What is included in information flow under discourse (contributing to text's cohesion)??? :D

ameeria1002

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2017, 07:51:28 pm »
Hi everyone!
I was just wondering that score for the exam do I need to get in order to achieve a raw study score of 35??
My sac marks for Unit 3 and 4 is 87%
Sorry, I am just stressing a bit as it is a prerequisite and I am not really good under exam conditions as much :(
Thank you!

ameeria1002

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2017, 07:55:58 pm »
+1
Hey there!
Technically it is possible. VCAA has specified that "Section B will consist of an analytical commentary on the language in one or more texts" (quote from here). Two texts for a short answer sections used to be fairly common with one of the older study designs, but it's something that I don't think has happened for a few years now. As such, I wouldn't stress too much about getting 2 texts for the AC, but it is possible.
An AC on 2 texts would probably differ somewhat from the standard. It would still be important to analyse each text's language and relate back to function/social purpose/register as is standard. However, for a 2-text AC it would be interesting to then discuss the similarities and differences in the texts' language, and relate this back to the differing functions/social purpose etc.
Hope this helps  ;D
Thank you for your help!! I really hope it doesn't come up, but at least now I kinda know how to do it :)

QueenSmarty

• Forum Regular
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2017, 02:27:22 pm »
What's a good length for an essay in the exam? Is 700 words too much or is that considered the norm?

EulerFan102

• Forum Regular
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2017, 04:38:47 pm »
+4
For the AC, do you need to have a topic sentence at the start of each paragraph? Or can you just dive into it?
VCAA does not specify whether or not you need to have topic sentences. Personally, I'm a big fan of the topic sentence and think they're great to have in ACs. Also, the sample high-scoring ACs from the examination reports tend to have topic sentences, so they are probably worthwhile including.

Also, if an example I'm analysing is repeated many times, do I just cite a few line references?
Yeah, I'd just cite a few line numbers. No point wasting time with an extensive list that doesn't add much.
What is included in information flow under discourse (contributing to text's cohesion)??? :D
In the Study Design (link here), VCAA lists: "information flow including clefting, front focus and end focus"

What's a good length for an essay in the exam? Is 700 words too much or is that considered the norm?
I wouldn't say that's too much. VCAA sample high-scoring essays tend to be anywhere from 600 to 1000 words, so 700 words is comfortably within that ballpark. And of course, the quality of your essay is more important that its precise length.

QueenSmarty

• Forum Regular
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2017, 02:02:03 pm »
Is it likely that we'll be given an extract from a short story to write an analytical commentary about? There doesn't seem to be much to write about for File 5 (A Double Buggy at Lahey's Creek) from the Lingofile workbook.