Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:12:36 am

Author Topic: Keeping year 11 textbooks for year 12  (Read 2764 times)  Share 

Ellyjayne27Ellyjayne2

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Keeping year 11 textbooks for year 12
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:57 pm »
Hi everyone, just wondering, is it worth keeping my year 11 textbooks for year 12, as I’m doing the same subjects and some people have told me that they may be useful for year 12 if you forgot something that you learnt last year that you need in year 12. I was going to sell them as they are expensive but I thought maybe I should keep them, any thoughts?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Keeping year 11 textbooks for year 12
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:05:52 pm »
+4
Depends whether you think you'll have a use for them :) Honestly though whatever info is in the textbooks is also probably on google or in your notes! Plus, school libraries often have copies of textbooks that you can borrow if you need to check something quickly.

In the end it's up to you - I didn't keep any of my year 11 textbooks for year 12 and chose to sell them instead and I didn't regret that decision, but you can always hang on to them for an extra year and sell both your year 11 and 12 textbooks once you've finished vce.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:09:06 pm »
+4
Seconding the above - There are plenty of resources that will be avalible to you if you wanted to revise something. I don't think I ever consulted by 1/2 textbooks/notes or ever had a thought that I needed to when I did units 3/4 of those subjects. For many subjects untis 3/4 are quite distinct to 1/2 which means they either test completley different content or they are extensions of the year 11 concept however they would quickly review it.

If possible you could try to keep a PDF of those textbooks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:11:37 pm by Sine »

Ellyjayne27Ellyjayne2

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:16:40 pm »
+1
Seconding the above - There are plenty of resources that will be avalible to you if you wanted to revise something. I don't think I ever consulted by 1/2 textbooks/notes or ever had a thought that I needed to when I did units 3/4 of those subjects. For many subjects untis 3/4 are quite distinct to 1/2 which means they either test completley different content or they are extensions of the year 11 concept however they would quickly review it.

If possible you could try to keep a PDF of those textbooks.
Depends whether you think you'll have a use for them :) Honestly though whatever info is in the textbooks is also probably on google or in your notes! Plus, school libraries often have copies of textbooks that you can borrow if you need to check something quickly.

In the end it's up to you - I didn't keep any of my year 11 textbooks for year 12 and chose to sell them instead and I didn't regret that decision, but you can always hang on to them for an extra year and sell both your year 11 and 12 textbooks once you've finished vce.

Thanks for your help, I think I will sell them as I do have very good notes!😂

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »
Thanks for your help, I think I will sell them as I do have very good notes!😂
Great idea! In my experience, good notes were way more helpful in VCE than any textbook! :) All the best!

not.yet.a.nerd

• Trendsetter
  • hello!
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:54 pm »
+2
I kept my methods and chemistry textbooks, intending on revising some topics over the summer or during the year. Didn't happen, there just wasn't enough time with homework and assignments and everything else that yr 12 throws at you. Plus, everything that you need for 3/4 is in the textbook, or your teacher will go over it, so 1/2 stuff isn't all that useful. But up to you, you can always sell it after year 12  ;)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:49 pm »
+4
I'd get rid of (sell) them, tbh. There are plenty of resources online :)

A good teacher would provide materials to go over previous concepts should it be needed. Accessibility to all.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:58:56 am »
+4
I still have textbooks from like Year 7 floating around. 🤢 Don't think there's much harm in keeping them if you think they'll be useful for Year 12, but also don't think it would be a big loss if you sold them or got rid of them otherwise.

Advice: don't just leave them sitting there for years and years, because they become irrelevant and, therefore, much more difficult to sell!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

kdribbus

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 08:50:36 pm »
I would sell them or pass them on to a friend as you can access any required information, questions online.  :)