Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:24:23 am

Author Topic: How can I analyse key scenes?  (Read 480 times)  Share 

Hafsa.S

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How can I analyse key scenes?
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:33:52 pm »
Hi,
Currently taking 3&4 English this year and reading The Lieutenant. I have identified some key scenes, but have trouble breaking them down. Yes, I'm able to identify themes and symbols, but what else do I need to look for?

Plus, in essays, you should write about the issues within the themes, rather than the themes themselves. How can I dig deeper to get a deeper analysis and write about these issues?

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
Re: How can I analyse key scenes?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:58:57 pm »
Hey,
I personally would look for authorial intention. I haven't personally read The Lieutenant so I can't comment on what this is for the author. So basically this is  like an encoded message they are trying to get across. For example, the book that I studied was The White Tiger. Long story short, it's about a guy who lives in the slums, heavily entrenched poverty area (Along with 99% of their population) that is nicknamed the 'Darkness'. There's also the rich area that goes by the 'Light'.  The author, Aravind Adiga, covers how the rich exploit the poor to keep in power. Though, his use of a sarcastic, satire tone makes it obvious that the author is trying to critique the Indian government and intends for readers to see how India is putting out a facade. I hope that makes sense, or someone can help me out here lmao. I would highly recommend looking up scholar essays though.
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.