Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:41 pm

Author Topic: Old English Prompts  (Read 35302 times)  Share 

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Old English Prompts
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:38 pm »
+29
Old English Prompts

This thread contains prompts for texts previously on the VCAA Lists from 2016-2019

Prompts for more recent texts can be found here.

Text Response (I)

All About Eve by Joseph Mankiewicz
In order to succeed in the theatre, the only values that count are egotism and ruthless ambition. Discuss.

How do women in the film defy or adhere to the 1950's feminine idea?

We do not fully sympathise with Margo or Eve since both are driven by enormous egos. Discuss.

None of Eve's machinations ultimately make her happy in All About Eve. Discuss.

How does Mankiewicz encourage us to empathise with Margo Channing in spite of her flaws?

“There’s nothing tragic about being 50, not unless you try to be 25”.
All About Eve suggests it is foolish to not accept the process of ageing. To what extent is this true?

The film’s characters are superficial and completely self-obsessed. Is this how you see the characters of All About Eve?

Engage

"She's a loose lamb in a jungle!"
The central women's decisions and relationships are dictated by different vulnerabilities.
Discuss.

It is not only fame versus anonymity that creates divisions between characters, but class and wealth as well.
Discuss.

"Funny business, a woman's career - the things you drop on your way up the ladder so you can move faster."
The lives of the central female characters in All About Eve, even those who are successful, are limited by their gender.
Discuss.

The capacity to deceive and betray is at the heart of All About Eve.
Discuss.

All About Eve portrays how envy can be a destructive force in relationships. Discuss.

"We all have abnormality in common. We're a breed apart form the rest of humanity, we theatre folk; we are the original displaced personalities."
What is it that links the characters of All About Eve?

The society portrayed in All About Eve is depicted as fundamentally superficial and driven purely by the self-interest of members.
To what extent do you agree?

No character is positioned as trustworthy to the audience inAll About Eve.
Do you agree?

"Margo is a great star, a true star. She never was or will be anything less, or anything else."
Margo Channing has what other characters want, yet is deeply unsatisfied with her life. Discuss.

The tensions between the theatre and Hollywood mirror the conflicts between characters throughout All About Eve. Discuss.

VATE

2015:
i. "We're a breed apart from the rest of humanity, we theatre folk."
To what extent does the viewer ultimately agree with this assertion?
OR
ii. All About Eve exposes the destructive nature of disregarding one's conscience. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2014 exams

Exam 1:
i. "I'm just the carbon copy you read when you can't find the original."
To what extent is this true of Eve?
OR
ii. The audience sympathises with no one in All About Eve. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. In All About Eve, Mankeiwicz suggests that once trust is broken, it can never be truly repaired. Discuss.
OR
ii. The metadrama of All About Eve shows us that no one is what they seem. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. “This is my house, not a theatre. In my house, you're a guest, not a director.”
Discuss the importance of stage-managing one’s appearance and identity in All About Eve.
OR
ii. All About Eve is a scathing critique of the damage relationships can do. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. The lack of trust between the characters in All About Eve makes them hard to sympathise with. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Mankeiwicz's film shows how destructive superficiality can be. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. "Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, hee'l look it twenty years from now."
The characters in All About Eve show that the intent behind deception is what matters. Discuss.
OR
ii. How do the concerns of Hollywood and the theatre mirror the characters' concerns in the films?

Exam 3:
i. All About Eve is an exploration of what happens when desires aren't satisfied. Discuss.
OR
ii. In All About Eve, there are many different ways for a relationship to fracture. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. "Everybody has a heart - except some people."
To what extent do the characters in All About Eve understand one another?
OR
ii. How does the film show the barriers between men and women in the theatre?

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year edition:
i. Expectations have a significant effect on the characters in All About Eve. Discuss.
OR
ii. Margo is a more sympathetic character than Eve. Do you agree?

Exam 1:
i. The biggest obstacles in the lives of the characters in All About Eve are their own expectations. Do you agree?
OR
ii. All About Eve suggests that happiness is unattainable if jealousy and self-doubt are present. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. "You can always put that award where your heart ought to be."
Mankeiwicz’s film shows that the characters can achieve a sense of fulfilment in different ways. Discuss.
OR
ii. All About Eve offers a bleak portrait of a lack of trust in both personal and professional relationships. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. How and why do the characters in All About Eve attempt to conceal their true motivations and fears?
OR
ii. All About Eve suggests that success comes at a cost. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. The characters in All About Eve have no autonomy. Do you agree?
OR
ii. "It is just as false not to blow your horn at all as it is to blow it too loudly."
Discuss the role of talent and potential in All About Eve.

VCAA

2014:
i. It is Eve's ruthless pursuit of ambition that leads us to dislike her.
Do you agree?
OR
ii. All About Eve is all about appearances.
Discuss.

2015:
i. Margo says "funny business, a woman's career."
All About Eve is about the roles that women must play. Discuss.
OR
ii. In All About Eve, Margo ultimately triumphs over Eve.
To what extent do you agree?

2016:
i. Addison says to Eve: "We have a great deal in common, it seems to me."
Do you agree with Addison's suggestion?
OR
ii. To what extent is Eve's success the result of manipulation and deceit?

Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. The characters in this text share similar experiences, but do not see things the same way. To what extent do you agree?
OR
ii. Abdul learns that, to survive, it is important to understand the unwritten rules of his society. Discuss.

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
Agnes' will to survive is her strongest attribute. Do you agree?

Burial Rites suggests there must be rights for the dead, and the living. Discuss.

“I am knifed to the hilt with fate.” What role does fate play in Burial Rites?

In what ways is Agnes disempowered in Burial Rites?

This text is about Agnes being restored to humanity. Discuss.

Hannah Kent’s Burial Rites is essentially a critique of Icelandic society and the patriarchal strictures that bind it. Discuss.

"The uninhabited places are as cruel as any executioner."
How does Kent convey a sense of loss in the novel?

Discuss the significance of dreams and the supernatural in Burial Rites.

Burial Rites is a scathing condemnation of patriarchal societies. Do you agree?

In Burial Rites, Hannah Kent shows how memories are stronger than stories. Discuss.

‘Most good people are soon enough underground.’ Kent's novel suggests that good deeds don’t guarantee longevity. Discuss.

Blöndal is an irredeemable villain in Burial Rites. Do you agree?

Gossip, rumour and prejudice determine Agnes’s end. To what extent do you agree?

"‘For the first time in my life, someone saw me, and I loved him because he made me feel I was enough."
Agnes' tale is ultimately a depressing one. Do you agree?

Burial Rites is about the difference between who we are seen to be, and who we believe ourselves to be. Discuss

Engage

Despite her position as an outcast for the majority of the novel, Agnes is the character most readily positioned to recieve reader sympathy. To what extent do you agree?

"They said I must die. They said that I stole the breath from men, and now they must steal mine."
Kent offers a strong critique of the inherent cruelty and inadequacies of a system of justice that includes capital punishment. Discuss.

"To know what a person has done, and to know who a person is, are very different things."
Burial Rites suggests that understanding an individual means much more than hearing their past. Discuss.

Iceland is not just the setting of the novel, but a character in its own right. Discuss.

Burial Rites is critical of both men and the patriarchal structures that enable their dominance over women. Discuss.

"Memories shift like loose snow in a wind, or are a chorale of ghosts all talking over one another."
What comment does Burial Rites offer on memories and their effect on those who hold them?

What is the effect of intermingling letters, notices, and other historical documents with the central story in Burial Rites?

Agnes thinks to herself: "Everything I said was taken from me and altered until the story wasn't my own."
The greatest suffering for Agnes stems from the refusal of others to believe her story. To what extent do you agree?

Tóti defends his relationship with Agnes by stating: “I provide her with a final audience to her life’s lonely narrative.”
What is the true role of the relationship between the Reverend and the condemned woman in Burial Rites?

What role do sagas and superstitions play in Burial Rites?

VATE

2015:
i. Agnes is doomed from birth by her social standing. She cannot escape her past. Discuss.
OR
ii. The shifting points of view in Burial Rites compel readers to make their own determination about who is guilty. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. Discuss the importance of memory in Burial Rites.
OR
ii. "To know what a person has done, and to know who a person is, are very different things."
To what extent does the novel suggest that people's identities are more than just their actions?

Exam 2:
i. “They said that I stole the breath from men, and now they must steal mine.”
The world of Burial Rites is plagued by a false sense of justice. Do you agree?
OR
ii. To what extent is Agnes a powerful character in Kent’s novel?

Exam 3:
i. How does Burial Rites show the importance of stories and storytelling?
OR
ii. The characters in Burial Rites are victims of their circumstances. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. Agnes is the victim of others’ prejudice. Do you agree?
OR
ii. The real question in Burial Rites is not whether the characters can understand one another, but whether they can understand themselves. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. Burial Rites shows how the past can affect the present. Discuss.
OR
ii. "Most good people are soon enough underground."
Discuss the portrayal of justice in Burial Rites.

Exam 1:
i. Kent’s novel is about what it means to be guilty. Discuss.
OR
ii. "They see I’ve got a head on my shoulders, and believe a thinking woman cannot be trusted."
To what extent does prejudice influence the behaviour of the men in Burial Rites?

Exam 2:
i. Discuss the importance of credulity and trust in Burial Rites.
OR
ii. Kent’s novel showcases the difficulty of ensuring that the punishment fits the crime. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. In what ways is Agnes an outcast in Burial Rites?
OR
ii. Discuss the role of judgement in Kent’s novel.

Exam 4:
i. "It was not me they stared at. I understood that these people did not see me."
To what extent does Agnes’ awareness of her isolation affect her?
OR
ii. Burial Rites is about deprivation. Discuss.

VCAA

2015:
i. Burial Rites is about death, but it is also about life. Discuss.
OR
ii. "I am determined to close myself to the world."
Although Agnes is imprisoned at the farm, she retains her internal freedom. Discuss.

2016:
i. Natan shouts: "Remember your place, Agnes!"
Agnes’s problem is that she has no place to belong. Do you agree?
OR
ii. "Everything I said was taken from me and altered until the story wasn’t my own."
Agnes’s fate is determined by the stories told by others. Discuss.

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
In Cloudstreet tragedy and grief are overcome by hope and forgiveness. Discuss.

Cloudstreet is very Australian but has universal significance. Discuss.

In Cloudstreet, Winton demonstrates that there is no single religious path to enlightenment, but that there are many possible avenues for achieving this goal. Discuss.

The two families of Cloudstreet live out microcosmic versions of the potential for harmony in the wider world. Discuss.

Cloudstreet shows that the supernatural is a normal, every day experience that enables us to find out who we are and where we belong. Discuss.

In Cloudstreet, tragedy and grief are overcome by hope and forgiveness. Discuss.

“Go on with your life, love. It’s all there is.”
Cloudstreet depicts characters who continue to live in the face of suffering that threatens to engulf them. Discuss.

In Cloudstreet, Winton shows that the effects of grief are rarely short-lived or easy to resolve. Do you agree?

Cloudstreet dwells on the human desire to find meaning in life. Discuss.

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton explores the relationship between family and identity. Discuss.

How is cultural identity represented in Tim Winton's Cloudstreet?

Cloudstreet is as much an historical text as it is spiritual. Discuss.

Cloudstreet is an allegory or morality tale. It is not meant to be read literally. Discuss.

Ultimately in Cloudstreet, it is the representation of intense human relationships that captivates the reader. Discuss.

"The world was a sad, miserable place and soon it’d be no place at all."
Cloudstreet contains characters who revel in their own suffering. Discuss.

The significance of a dimension beyond the everyday, temporal one is a central tenet of Cloudstreet. Discuss.

Cloudstreet illustrates the role of culture in making people feel psychologically and emotionally at home’ Discuss.

Cloudstreet reflects nostalgically on the values of the Australian working class. Discuss.

In Cloudstreet all the ends are tied up too neatly to be realistic. Discuss.

The significance of a dimension beyond the everyday, temporal one is a central tenet of Cloudstreet. Discuss.

Cloudstreet demonstrates the potential for breaking patterns of destruction. Discuss.

Cloudstreet illustrates the role of culture in making people feel psychologically and emotionally at home. Discuss.

Cloudstreet can only be properly understood by Australian readers. Discuss.

Engage

The two central families of Cloudstreet form bonds purely out of necessity. Do you agree?

“People can’t help being who they are.”
Winton’s characters are heavily flawed, but this is what makes them human. Discuss.

Loyalty and love are shown to be two very different things in Cloudstreet. Discuss.

Cloudstreet explores the difference between relationships formed by choice, and those of circumstance. Discuss.

What role does religious symbolism and belief play throughout the novel?

The setting, characters and themes of Cloudstreet are distinctly Australian. Discuss.

Spirituality and superstition play a significant role in the lives of the characters of Cloudstreet. Discuss.

Winton wholly accepts the limited position of women within the society that Cloudstreet is set. Do you agree?

The reader's understanding of the novel is influenced by the knowledge that the stories and memories that it is comprised of are told "in the seconds it takes to die." Discuss.

VATE

2015:
i. Without Oriel, the Lambs and Pickles would not have achieved peace. Discuss
OR
ii. Cloudstreet shows the importance of family and unconditional love. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2014 exams

Exam 1:
i. Winton characterises Australia as a nation spiritually defined by war. Discuss.
OR
ii. Cloudstreet is constructed with an absence of morally blameworthy or praiseworthy characters so as to better encompass Winton’s idea of the Australian way of life. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. It is not just what the characters in Cloudstreet represent that endears them to readers, but how they are portrayed.
OR
ii. Despite Cloudstreet’s specific time and place, it speaks to a universal nostalgia. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i.“Perfect. Always. Everyplace. Me.”
Spirituality is a key element in the search for completeness in Cloudstreet. Discuss.

ii.Winton’s Cloudstreet suggests that family unity is stronger than dysfunction. Do you agree?

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. How does Winton create a sense of comfort and familiarity in Cloudstreet?
OR
ii. “Life was something you didn't argue with, because when it came down to it, whether you barracked for God or nothing at all, life was all there was. And death.”
Winton’s Cloudstreet is about understanding and accepting mortality. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. “Luck doesn’t change, love. It moves.”
The characters in Cloudstreet are luckier than they realise. Discuss.
OR
ii. Winton’s novel challenges what it means to belong to a family. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. "Keep the day ahead of you, that's what the old man used to say."
The characters in Cloudstreet must look to the future if they want to achieve contentment. Do you agree?
OR
ii. In Cloudstreet, it is the quotidian events that define the characters. Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. Many of the characters in Cloudstreet are stuck in a self-destructive cycle of suffering and pain. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Winton’s novel shows how the relationships we choose define us more than the relationships we find ourselves in. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. How does Winton present the relationships within and between families in Cloudstreet?
OR
ii. The characters in Cloudstreet are flawed, but we can't help but sympathise with them. Discuss.

Exam 1:
i. “He did not think of home. But home thought of him.”
The idea of home is important to the characters in Cloudstreet in different ways. Discuss.
OR
ii. Winton’s novel shows how finding meaning in life is more challenging than it seems. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. “He was poor and foolish and people will always have a place in their hearts for the harmless.”
To what extent is this true in Cloudstreet?
OR
ii. How does Winton utilise nostalgia in his novel Cloudstreet?

Exam 3:
i. The characters in Cloudstreet are empathetic because they appreciate what they have. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Winton explore the importance of place in Cloudstreet?

Exam 4:
i. Discuss the importance of spirituality and superstition in Cloudstreet.
OR
ii. “Men looked at her the way they looked at horses.”
Winton’s novel critiques the role of gender in Australian society. Discuss.

VCAA

2014:
i. Number One Cloud Street is more than just a house. Discuss.
OR
ii. It is their acceptance of whatever life brings that helps the characters to go on living and growing. Do you agree?

2015:
i. In Cloudstreet, Fish Lamb is only important because of his effect on other characters. Discuss.
OR
ii. In their struggles, the Pickles and Lamb families learn little from each other. Do you agree?

2016:
i. “There was something wrong with men. They lacked some basic thing and she [Oriel] didn’t know
what it was.”
Are the women in Cloudstreet less flawed than the men?
OR
ii. To what extent are Rose and Quick responsible for uniting their families?

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
Shelley's novel showcases the inherent dangers of neglecting to consider the consequences of our actions. Discuss.

To what extent is the creature in Frankenstein a reflection of Victor himself?

The creature is more monstrous than he is able to realise. Do you agree?

"...its gigantic stature, and the deformity of its aspect, more hideous than belongs to humanity..."
Frankenstein is about what it means to be human. Discuss.

"Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow."
Victor's ambition brings about his downfall. To what extent do you agree?

Both Victor and his creature experience profound loss over the course of the novel. Do you agree?

Readers sympathise more with the creature's desire for revenge than Victor's scientific endeavours. Discuss.

The characters in Frankenstein are justified in their prejudice against the creature. Do you agree?

"All men hate the wretched; how then, must I be hated, who am miserable beyond all living things!"
Shelley's novel suggests that the consequences of actions are more significant than the intentions behind them. Discuss.

Discuss the importance of stories and storytelling in Frankenstein.

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. In Frankenstein, Victor is the real monster. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Shelley show the dangers of blindly pursuing one's ambitions?

Exam 1:
i. Both Victor and the monster strive for authority over their dominion. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Shelley’s novel is dominated by both beauty and horror. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. “Nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose – a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye.”
The chaos in Frankenstein comes about when characters lack or lose their purpose. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Victor’s genius is undone by his blind obsession, but we remain sympathetic to his plight. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. Discuss the importance of Walton in Shelley’s novel.
OR
ii. “My companion must be of the same species, and have the same defects.”
The monster’s loneliness is the source of his misery in Frankenstein. Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. “Why, in that instant, did I not extinguish the spark of existence which you had so wantonly bestowed?”
Frankenstein’s accomplishment and the monster’s misery are inextricably linked. Do you agree?
OR
ii. “How can I see so noble a creature destroyed by misery, without feeling the most poignant grief?”
Is this true of Shelley’s Frankenstein?

VCAA

2016:
i. Both Victor and his creature are motivated by revenge. Do you agree?
OR
ii. The characters in this novel discover that, without control, human creativity is dangerous. Discuss.

I for Isobel by Amy Witting
I for Isobel illustrates that it is more important to value personal integrity than constantly to seek the acceptance of others. Do you agree?

“You built a wall around yourself and too late you found you were walled in.” To what extent does Isobel create her own unhappiness?

I for Isobel suggests that people’s values develop more through interaction with others than through childhood experience. Discuss.

The effects of childhood abuse are permanent. Discuss this idea in relation to the novel.

“Isobel’s detachment from society enabled her to cope with her past.” Discuss.

“Thou shalt not be different.”
How does Isobel deal with her differences from others?

“Isobel, as she listened, tried on each life to see if it would suit her.”
Why does Isobel find it difficult to be herself?

Engage

"This was life: no sooner had you built yourself your little raft and felt secure than it came to pieces under you and you were swimming again."
Isobel is perpetually uneasy, whether because of circumstance or her internal discomfort with social interactions. Discuss.

What comment does Witting offer on death and grief in I for Isobel?

Isobel asks herself: "was it dialogue? Where they acting in a play?"
In what ways is the protagonist distanced from the people around her by her unique perspective of the world?

I for Isobel portrays a world that is entirely limited by circumstance, particularly for women. Discuss.

What is the effect of the significant and sudden temporal shifts that offer glimpses into different periods within the protagonist's life?

"Fate was stricter than any headmistress."
What role does the notion of belief in fate play within I for Isobel?

"Then she saw that her mother's anger was a live animal tormenting her, that she, Isobel, was an outlet that gave some relief and she was torturing her by withholding it."
Although Isobel's mother appears only in part of the novel, the cruelty she enacts on her daughter is felt throughout the entire story. Discuss.

I for Isobel depicts how there is no one way to grieve, but that humanity is united by the common thread of mortality. Discuss.

Isobel expresses a desire to be "one of the crowd," but struggles to achieve that simple goal. Discuss.

"Literature should be a gentleman's pleasure, not a hack's employment."
What comment does I for Isobel offer on the different roles that individuals can play in interacting with literature?

VATE

2015:
i. "[A] voice screaming at her from the past."
To what extent is Isobel able to free herself from the past in order to find her own identity?
OR
ii. "Sometimes she thought she carried an invisible knife, wounding people without being aware of it."
I for Isobel shows that lack of love in childhood can make mature relationships more challenging to develop. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. The other characters in the text give us greater insight into Isobel than she herself does. Discuss.
OR
ii. "How she wished to know where she went wrong."
Witting's novel shows the benefits of making mistakes in life. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. Fiction is the most important thing in Isobel’s life. Do you agree?
OR
ii. “Isobel caught the look and stored it away, as she did everything that reached her from the world outside.”
In I for Isobel, Witting suggests that observation can be a powerful tool. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. Isobel tries, and fails, to set up effective emotional barriers. Discuss.
OR
ii. The characters in I for Isobel are victims of either extreme love, or extreme hate. To what extent do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. “It could not all be a dream. She felt sure that if she found the poet, she would find the group again.”
Isobel’s obsession with fiction is a way for her to cope with her situation. Discuss.
OR
ii. Witting’s novel is about how being alone and feeling lonely are not necessarily the same thing. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. I for Isobel is about the quest for identity and self-determination. Discuss.
OR
ii. Discuss the depiction of parenting in I for Isobel.

Exam 1:
i. Isobel’s love of reading has a more profound effect on her than her mother does. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Witting’s novel convey a sense of loneliness?

Exam 2:
i. "The artist responds to experience, the critic responds to the experience of books."
Is Isobel an artist or a critic in Witting’s novel? Discuss.
OR
ii. "You’ll go to hell, Isobel Callaghan, for laughing in church."
How does guilt affect the characters in I for Isobel?

Exam 3:
i. How does Witting critique the characters’ motives in I for Isobel?
OR
ii. Isobel must create, as opposed to discover, who she is. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. "She hoped no one would ever find out what a fool she was."
As Isobel becomes more aware of the world, she realises just how much she does not understand. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How do the stories that Isobel reads shape her life and her expectations?

Previous VCAA Study Designs

2003:
i. Isobel says: “I want to be one of the crowd”.
Isobel feels a strong need to belong but does not know how to achieve this. Discuss.
OR
ii. I for Isobel illustrates that an individual comes to understand what is important in life by reflecting upon
other people’s behaviour. Discuss.

2004:
i. Why does Isobel find it difficult to develop satisfying relationships with others?
OR
ii. I for Isobel illustrates that it is more important to value personal integrity than constantly to seek the acceptance of others. Discuss.

2005:
i. "You built a wall around yourself and too late you found yourself walled in."
Does Isobel create her own unhappiness?
OR
ii. I for Isobel suggests that peopleís values develop more through interaction with others than through childhood experiences. Discuss.

2006:
i. “Isobel, as she listened, tried on each life to see how it would suit her.”
Why does Isobel find it difficult to be herself?
OR
ii. I for Isobel demonstrates that while honesty is essential, it is not always enough to sustain successful relationships. Discuss.

VCAA

2015:
i. "...her mother's intentions were far more violent than her blows."
Isobel's life is shaped by her mother's treatment of her. Discuss.
OR
ii. I for Isobel depicts a world in which women and girls are unhappy. Discuss.

2016:
i. "I thought I could make my life into a room and choose what came into it."
Isobel has no control over her life. Discuss.
OR
ii. The characters in I for Isobel have suppressed their emotions. Do you agree?

Island by Allistair MacLeod
The narrator of “To Everything There is a Season” says his tale contains “past and present…imperfectly blended”. How does the past shape the present in Island?

The stories in Island show the hopelessness of life in remote communities. Discuss.

The local and global worlds often exist simultaneously in MacLeod’s Island, affecting the relationship between the life of the individual and their community. Discussi

The natural environment is as much a character as the humans and animals represented throughout the collection. To what extent is this true?

While the many sons in Island have unique experiences, MacLeod shows that they have more in common than separating them. Discuss.

Nothing in Island is more important than family. Discuss.

Island shows that love breeds sadness. Discuss.

"We have gone back to the Gaelic songs because they are so constant and unchanging and speak to us at the privately familiar.” How important is tradition in the lives of the characters in Island?

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. MacLeod's short stories focus on the importance of close relationships. Discuss.
OR
ii. In Island, the characters value their traditions, culture, and environment. Discuss.

Exam 1:
i. To what extent are the characters in Island dependent on their environment?
OR
ii. Macleod’s short stories show how important communication between people is. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. The external landscapes in Island often mirror the characters’ state of mind. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does MacLeod characterise the role of tradition in the lives of the families in Island?

Exam 3:
i. The characters’ experiences in Island are influential, but not unique. Discuss.
OR
ii. Discuss the importance of time in Macleod’s Island.

Exam 4:
i. Although MacLeod’s stories are self-contained, there is a sense of yearning for meaning that unites them. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Island convey a sense of interconnectedness between its characters?

VCAA

2016:
i. In these stories, MacLeod explores how people are affected by the loss of a way of life. Discuss.
OR
ii. Clan and family ties dominate the lives of the characters in these stories. Discuss.

Mabo by Rachel Perkins
Mabo is a film about the importance of family. Do you agree?

In Mabo, Perkins explores the true meaning of family as a place. Discuss.

How does Perkins show that family is the prime source of support and love.

Eddie is indefatigable in his efforts to eradicate the terra nullius law. Do you agree?

Mabo is a film that strongly suggests that family is a crucial factor in one’s life.

Mabo demonstrates the power of the maternal bond through the role given to Bonita in the film.

“The Aborginal and Torres Strait Islander Protection Act..... What does that mean? Protection....I protect you from yourself”.
Racism was a significant factor in Eddie Mabo’s heroic struggle for justice. Discuss

It is pride just as much as native land rights that is at stake in the story of Mabo. Discuss.

The film is not just about racism. Discuss.

Mabo is as much a work of fiction as it is a story of facts. Discuss.

Eddie is a strong but flawed hero in Mabo. Discuss.

The refusal to accept injustice is at the heart of the film. Discuss.

In the film Mabo, the land becomes a major character because of its significance. Discuss.

To what extent does Perkins suggest that the Mabo decision was more significant for Australia than for Eddie Mabo personally?

Eddie Mabo’s struggle for indigenous land rights is more than just a conflict with “bad” white people. Is this how you see Rachel Perkins’ portrayal of Mabo’s struggle?

How does the Australian landscape play a central role in Perkins' Mabo?

Engage

The Union Representative says to Koiki Mabo: “you’ve got a voice haven’t ya?”
Discuss the difficulties that Mabo faces in using his voice to fight for himself and other Aboriginal Australians.

The extended time period that takes place over the course of the film allows Perkins to depict the changing cultural landscape of Australia for Aboriginal people. Discuss.

The Protector says to Mabo: “I protect you from yourself.”
Mabo portrays the oppressed history of Aboriginal Australians through Koiki Mabo’s interactions with government. Discuss.

While Koiki Mabo is undeniably the hero of the story, audience sympathy lies almost exclusively with his wife, Netta. To what extent do you agree?

"To our Indigenous friends we say this: now is your time."
Mabo portrays a pivotal moment in not only one man’s life, but Aboriginal people. Discuss.

Perkins represents the hardships of life in rural Australia as a major motivating factor in the lives of characters. To what extent do you agree?

Mabo explores how achieving justice can be inadequate in repairing harm in people’s lives. To what extent do you agree?

There are no villains and victims in Mabo, only humans with conflicting opinions and motivations. Do you agree?

"People like us can't afford to be troublemakers."
Mabo explores how disadvantage and discrimination affect people's lives. Discuss.

How are the dual settings of the natural world and the courts used to communicate contrasting understandings of Australia and land ownership in Mabo?

VATE

2015:
i. How important is integrity for the characters in Mabo?
OR
ii. To what extent is the viewer left with a sense of optimism at the end of Mabo?

lauren's 2014 exams

Exam 1:
i. The characters’ weaknesses are never truly resolved in Mabo. Discuss.
OR
ii. How does Perkins establish a sense of Australian identity in Mabo?

Exam 2:
i. Discuss the symbolism of land in Perkins’ Mabo.
OR
ii. The tenacity and resourcefulness of Mabo’s family is what gives the protagonist his strength. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. Perkins’ Eddie Mabo is ultimately incapable of shaping his own identity. Do you agree?
OR
ii. There is a world of difference between assimilation and acceptance for Mabo. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. The loyalty of the characters in Perkins' film is their strongest attribute. Discuss.
OR
ii. Mabo reveals that intolerance cannot sustain itself when righteousness and tenacity are present. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. Discuss the significance of the environments in Perkins’ Mabo.
OR
ii. “Everything here is yours. This is who you are.”
The true conflict in Mabo is about where one’s sense of self comes from. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. The characters in Mabo are more heroes than victims. Discuss.
OR
ii. In Mabo, Perkins suggests that achieving justice is more difficult than it seems. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. Mabo reveals how certain decisions can shape one’s entire life. Discuss.
OR
ii. In the film Mabo, the breakdown of communication is the source of most of the disagreement. Do you agree?

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. Despite some of Mabo's actions, he is ultimately a sympathetic character in Perkins' film. Discuss.
OR
ii. In Mabo, Eddie fights for the sake of his pride, not his family. Do you agree?

Exam 1:
i. The oppression that Eddie Mabo faces in Perkins’ film is actually critical to his success. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Eddie defies the expectations of other characters in Mabo. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. Eddie and Netta display both strength and weakness over the course of the film. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Perkins establish a sense of disparity and inequality in Mabo?

Exam 3:
i. How does the film depict the obstacles that Eddie must overcome?
OR
ii. In spite of her strength, Netta has very little control over her relationship with Eddie. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. Mabo is dedicated, but not to what truly matters. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Perkins’ film explore the significance of tradition and heritage?

VCAA

2014:
i. Mabo is a film about pride. Discuss.
OR
ii. In the film Mabo, the land plays such an important role that it is like a character. Discuss.

2015:
i. The refusal to accept injustice is at the heart of the film. Discuss.
OR
ii. Eddie Mabo is not the only hero of this film. Do you agree?

2016:
Mabo is not just about land, it is also about equality and acceptance. Discuss.
OR
ii. How does the film’s director convey the power of Eddie’s dreams?

Measure for Measure by William Shakespeare
How does Shakespeare present ideas about mortality and mercy in Measure for Measure?

"The old fantastical duke of dark corners."
Is this an accurate reflection of the Duke in Measure for Measure?

The audience has no sympathy for Angelo by the play's end. Do you agree?

"More than our brother is our chastity."
Shakespeare endorses Isabella's attitude to chastity throughout Measure for Measure. Do you agree?

Discuss Shakespeare's presentation and use of secondary characters in Measure for Measure.

Discuss the significance of Lucio's character and attitudes to the play as a whole.

How does Shakespeare present ideas about restraint and liberty in Measure for Measure?

Escalus is the most influential character in Measure for Measure. Do you agree?

"I have seen corruption boil/ Till it o'er-run the stew."
In Measure for Measure, corruption permeates the lives and decisions of the characters. Discuss.

The relationship of Claudio and Juliet reveals that there is hope for justice. Do you agree?

How does Shakespeare use humour for serious purposes in Measure for Measure?

"Of government the properties to unfold"
What does Measure for Measure suggest about the nature of government?

Measure for Measure is about justice and truth. Discuss.

"One that, above all other strifes, contended especially to know himself."
How does Shakespeare present ideas of self-knowledge and self-discovery in Measure for Measure?

Explore Shakespeare's use and presentation of female characters in Measure for Measure.

Measure for Measure presents some unconventional ideas about love, lust, and marriage. Discuss.

Shakespeare's Measure for Measure suggests that reputation should be one's primary concern. Do you agree?

Fear affects all of the characters in Measure for Measure. Do you agree?

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. The characters in Measure for Measure are easily swayed by their passions. Discuss.
OR
ii. Discuss the portrayal of justice and honesty in Shakespeare's Measure for Measure.

Exam 1:
i. "The tempter or the tempted, who sins most?"
No character in Measure for Measure is without fault. Discuss.
OR
ii. How does Shakespeare explore the consequences of depravity in Measure for Measure?

Exam 2:
i. Shakespeare’s Measure for Measure suggests that it is better to have agency than virtue. Do you agree?
OR
ii. The characters in Measure for Measure struggle to control the repercussions of their actions. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. How does Shakespeare’s language affect our view of the characters in Measure for Measure?
OR
ii. Shakespeare’s play criticises strict adherence to the law, rather than law itself. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. "O, it is excellent, To have a giant’s strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant.”
The characters in Measure for Measure must understand influence in order to wield it. Do you agree?
OR
ii. There is neither morality nor mercy in Shakespeare’s Measure for Measure. Do you agree?

VCAA

2016:
i. Angelo is an honourable man who succumbs to temptation. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Measure for Measure is a play that affirms life over laws. Discuss.

Medea by Euripides
Medea is the true victim in Euripides' play. Do you agree?

"It was simply that I wanted above all to let us live in comfort, not be poor"
Jason's only flaw is his over-ambition. Discuss.

"You women are all the same."
To what extent are Jason's judgments validated in Medea?

Throughout the play, Medea gradually loses touch with what it means to be a woman. Discuss.

The audience cannot fully sympathise with either Jason, or Medea in the play. Do you agree?

"A queen is used to giving commands, not obeying them."
Medea's inability to communicate is at the heart of Euripides' tragedy. Discuss.

Medea is a dishonest character, especially to herself. Do you agree?

"And reverence will come to the race of woman,
Reversing at last the sad reputation of ladies."
In Medea, Euripides reveals the dangers of a patriarchal society. Discuss.

Medea's quest for revenge makes her far more guilty than Jason. Discuss.

Medea's sense of justice is warped by the society she lives in. Do you agree?

Medea is a cautionary tale about being consumed by emotion. Discuss.

It is in Medea's cold, calculated cruelty that the true horror of the play is revealed. Discuss.

Engage

Euripides is critical of the feeling and expression of strong emotions which hold the potential to lead characters into tragedy. Discuss.

What function do children, both real and notional, serve throughout Medea?

Medea wins audience cympathy for its retaliation-obsessed and heinous central character. To what extent do you agree?

Medea is the villain of the story, but Jason is not presented as above blame. Do you agree?

"Life has been cruel to me."
To what extent do the circumstances of the play justify Medea's actions?

The themes and comments raised by Medea are specific to the context in which it was created, and hold no relevance to modern readers. Do you agree?

In what ways and to what extend does Euripides place blame on sources other than Medea for the tragedy of the play?

"What man's not guilty?"
Despite the acceptance of patriarchal values, Euripides appears to be critical of the behaviour of men throughout Medea. Do you agree?

"Oh, what an evil power love has in people's lives!"
Love is portrayed as a wholly destructive force against the sense of self-control. Do you agree?

Characters display both cool logic and fiery emotion in Medea but Euripides is supporting of neither. Discuss.

Jason's wrongdoings are not deserving of Medea's vengeance. Discuss.

VATE

2015:
i. Medea is not a victim despite finding herself wronged in a world dominated by men. Discuss.
OR
ii. Medea explores the tension between reason and passion. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. Jason's capacity for evil stems more from weakness than from strength. Do you agree?
OR
ii. No character in Medea gets what they deserve. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. Medea reveals how exile and deprivation can have extremely negative consequences. Discuss.
OR
ii. “Of all creatures that can feel and think, we women are the worst treated things alive”
Medea garners sympathy from both the characters in the play, and from the audience. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. There are many sources of Medea's pain in this play. Discuss.
OR
ii. Medea shows that being emotional is just as dangerous as being logical. Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. Medea has no self-control, and is therefore unsympathetic. Discuss.
OR
ii. Euripides’ play warns of the dangers of a society that cannot facilitate true justice because of its inherent prejudices and inequality. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. Are the characters in Medea motivated more so by reason, or emotion?
OR
ii. Both Medea and Jason act in unjust ways in Euripides' play. To what extent do you agree?

Exam 1:
i. To what extent can the characters’ lack of foresight be blamed for the tragic occurrences in Medea?
OR
ii. "Stone and iron you are, as you resolved to be."
It is Medea’s decision to commit to revenge that is her most confronting and surprising action. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. Discuss the role of exploitation in Euripides' Medea.
OR
ii. Jason and Medea both fail to see how one another’s actions could be seen as justifiable. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. How does Euripides explore the consequences of banishment and betrayal in Medea?
OR
ii. The worst affront to Medea is the desecration of her pride. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. How does Medea deceive other characters in the play?
OR
ii. Euripides suggests that our perception of the world can be warped by betrayal. Do you agree?

Previous VCAA Study Designs

2001:
i. Jason’s decisions are based on reason and careful judgment, Medea’s on passion and selfishness. Discuss.
OR
ii. Medea shows that seeking revenge undermines any hope of justice. Discuss.

2002:
i. Often tragedies have an heroic but flawed central character, but in Medea no character has any admirable or heroic qualities.
Do you agree with this observation about the characters in the play?
OR
ii. Medea illustrates the importance of moderation in actions and emotions. Discuss.

VCAA

2015:
i. Medea is about extremes of human emotion. Discuss.
OR
ii. There is more than one villain in Medea. Do you agree?
2016:
i. It is Jason, not Medea, who gains the audience’s sympathy. Do you agree?
OR
ii. The play Medea is more about justice than revenge. Discuss.

No Sugar by Jack Davis
Through the construction of white characters, Davis’ demonstrates that mutual respect and acceptance could exist between the races represented within the play.

Rebellion against authority is the core theme of Davis’ play No Sugar. To what extent do you agree?

Jimmy’s speech at the Australia Day ceremony is the pivotal scene of the play in more ways than one. Discuss.

How does Jack Davis use character alongside dramatic techniques to communicate the dominant attitudes of the social and historical context in which the play is set?

The female Aboriginal characters are ultimately shown to be the most disempowered individuals. Discuss.

“You ain’t politjman, you just black tracker.”
The characters' responses to white authority tell us a great deal about their values. Discuss.

“I understand the difficulty of the situation you were in, but it’s my duty to protect natives from alcohol.”
To what extent do the white authorities assist the Aborigines?

To what extent are the characters in No Sugar mere stereotypes?

Jack Davis uses humour to enhance the impact of the protest which underlines the play. Discuss.

Engage

Poverty and scarcity of resources are such significant forces in the lives of characters that they are motivated by nothing else. Do you agree?

In what ways does Davis convey the sense of displacement and isolation experienced by Aboriginal characters to the audience?

Mr Neville says: “If you provide the native the basic accoutrements of civilization, you're halfway to civilizing him.”
Do all of the white characters in No Sugar express the same attitudes towards Aboriginal Australians as Mr Neville?

While all of the Aboriginal characters in No Sugar feel the weight of oppression and inequality, they do not all respond the same way. Discuss.

Dependence on others for survival plays a pivotal role in characters’ world views. Discuss.

There is no room for any motivation other than self-preservation in the lives of Aboriginal characters in No Sugar. Do you agree?

The suffering of marginalised characters in No Sugar stems not only from physical hardships, but from the lack of autonomy in their day-to-day lives. Discuss.

The play relies heavily on variations in styles of speech to show links and divides between characters of different backgrounds. Discuss.

The society in which No Sugar is set is shown to oppress not only Aboriginal peoples, but women as well. Discuss.

Davis uses various forms of spoken language to shape both the thematic concerns and construction of characters in No Sugar. Discuss.

VATE

2015:
i. "If you provide the native the basic accoutrements of civilisation you're half way to civilising him."
How does Davis challenge the idea of being civilised?
OR
ii. No Sugar illustrates the tragedy of being caught between two opposing worlds. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2014 exams

Exam 1:
i. How does Davis use language and performativity to create a sense of segregation in No Sugar?
OR
ii. Jimmy’s protest in No Sugar is ultimately in vain. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. The characters in No Sugar are imperfect, but admirable. Discuss.
OR
ii. No Sugar’s realism makes its message all the more potent. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. Despite their similar roles, the characters of Gran and the Matron are vastly different.
OR
ii. How does Davis convey a sense of cultural division in No Sugar?

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. Mutual respect and tolerance is an impossibility in No Sugar Do you agree?
OR
ii. In this play, Davis suggests that rebellion against an unjust system is justified. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. “The native must be helped in spite of himself”
The condescension and trivialising that occurs in this play is the main source of tension. Discuss
OR
ii. Jimmy Munday’s bitterness over his inequality makes him an unlikeable character. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. The characters in No Sugar wish to change their circumstances, but are ultimately unable to do so. To what extent do you agree?
OR
ii. The society in this play is oppressive in many ways. Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. Davis’ play challenges the values of the society that he presents. Do you agree?
OR
ii. No Sugar is about the importance of choice, and what happens when choice is taken away from us. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. In No Sugar, Davis laments that the Aboriginal characters face such racial prejudice. Discuss.
OR
ii No Sugar is about independence as well as a sense of community. Discuss.

Exam 1:
i. How do the characters in No Sugar justify their actions?
OR
ii. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
Davis’ play shows us why knowledge is both valuable and threatening. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. No Sugar is an exploration of the necessities of dignity and pride. Discuss.
OR
ii. Davis' play suggests that harm can be caused by ignorance as well as maliciousness. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. Davis' play shows why change can be so difficult to bring about. Discuss.
OR
ii. To what extent do the characters in No Sugar understand one another?

Exam 4:
i. Davis' play suggests that the treatment the characters endure can directly affect their sense of self-worth. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Dispossession and frustration are insurmountable obstacles in No Sugar. Discuss.

VCAA

2014:
i. In No Sugar, Davis shows that the bonds of family and community are necessary for survival. Discuss.
OR
ii. No Sugar is about the misuse of power. Discuss.

2015:
i. No Sugar offers audiences insight into what it meant to be Aboriginal in the 1930s in Western Australia. Discuss.
OR
ii. Jimmy Munday's fight for independence is doomed to fail. Discuss.

2016:
i. In No Sugar, it is the women who have little or no control over their lives. Do you agree?
OR
ii. No Sugar celebrates the resilience of the Munday/Millimurra family. Discuss.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:07:15 pm by literally lauren »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
Re: Prompts and Sample L.A. Articles
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 03:21:56 pm »
+4
Text Response (II)

Old/New World: New & Selected Poems by Peter Skrzynecki

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. Skrzynecki's poems explain how we come to belong. Discuss.
OR
ii. Barriers and boundaries are central to Skrzynecki's poems. Discuss.

Selected Poems by John Donne

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. The idea of forging connections with others is central in Donne's Selected Poems. Do you agree?
OR
ii John Donne's poems explore many facets of the human condition. Discuss.

Exam 1:
i. In his Selected Poems, Donne revels in the idea of interconnectivity. Discuss.
OR
ii. Donne’s poems foreground the need to explore spirituality and truth. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. The speakers in Donne's poems are often characterised by indecision and uncertainty. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Donne convey an appreciation of what love can do in his Selected Poems?

Exam 3:
i. Donne's poems are about enlightenment and the many forms it can take. Discuss.
OR
ii. The lovers in John Donne’s poems are driven by deep, spiritual connections to one another. How do his poems reflect this?

Exam 4:
i. “’Twere profanation of our joys, To tell the laity our love.”
What does Donne’s poetry say about the idea of love?
OR
ii. Donne's poems feature both optimism and cynicism. Do you agree?

VCAA

2016:
i. Love in its many forms is explored in Donne’s poems. Discuss.
OR
ii. It is Donne's imagery that gives his poetry its power. Discuss.

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
Although there are many qualities about Vladek that are condemned in Maus, the graphic novel is ultimately an empathetic telling of his life. Discuss.

Maus is not about experiencing the Holocaust, but surviving it’s impact. Discuss.

Maus is as much Art’s story as it is Vladek’s. Discuss.

Spiegelman’s use of evocative imagery in Maus goes beyond characterisation. Discuss.

How does Spiegelman show us the horror of the Holocaust and it’s impact on the people who survived it in Maus?

There are very few similarities between the characters in Maus. Discuss.

Guilt is the single strongest emotion Art Spiegelman feels in Maus. Do you agree?

“I tried to be fair and still show how angry I was.”
How and why does Spiegelman do this in Maus?

How effective is Spiegelman’s portrayal of people of different races and nationalities as different animals?

The story of Maus could only have been told as a graphic novel. Do you agree?

To what extent are Vladek’s personality traits a pitiable product of his experiences during the Holocaust?

"Life always takes the side of life, and somehow the victims are blamed. But it wasn't the BEST people who survived, nor did the best ones die. It was RANDOM"
How is this view reflected in both the action and themes of Maus?

"About Auschwitz, nobody can understand."
Maus is more a story of a son trying to understand his father, than it is a Holocaust story. Discuss.

"Maybe they need a newer, bigger Holocaust."
To what extent can Maus be seen as responding to this suggestion?

"Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness."
It is as difficult for the audience to know the truth as it is for Artie. Do you agree?

Art tells his father: "I want to tell your story, the way it really happened."
Is The Complete Maus more than Vladek’s story?

The Complete Maus shows us that unimaginable suffering doesn’t make a person better; it just makes them suffer. Do you agree?

Although the reader finds the older Vladek a difficult and frustrating character, the younger Vladek is an admirable and courageous man. Do you agree?

Maus shows that surviving is sometimes worse than dying. Discuss.

People do incredible things during war. How is this shown during Maus?

How does Maus invite the reader to see the flaws as well as the strengths of its main characters?

Through Maus, Art Spiegelman shows us that the demons of the Holocaust will haunt us forever. Discuss.

“Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.”
It is in the “silences” of Maus that the most poignant messages are delivered. To what extent do you agree?

How does Spiegelman invite the reader to question the validity of memory and perception?

The real “survivor’s tale” is Artie’s. Do you agree?

How does Spiegelman use visual cues in Maus to alert us to the plight of his characters?

Despite the sadness depicted in Maus, it is ultimately a story of hope. Discuss.

Maus would not be so powerful if it were a conventional novel. Do you agree?

"There’s so much I’ll never be able to understand or visualise. I mean reality is too complex for comics...so much has to be left out or distorted."
How successful is Art Spiegelman at conveying the reality of Vladek’s experiences?

"More I don’t need to tell you. We were both very happy, and lived happy, happy ever after."
Is the reader convinced of the truth of Vladek’s words?

Art Spiegelman successfully achieves a balance between being the author of The Complete Maus and a character within it. To what extent do you agree?

What effect does the use of animals in The Complete Maus have on the story?

How does Art Spiegelman juxtapose past and present in The Complete Maus?

Both Vladek and Art are haunted by the Holocaust but in different ways. Discuss.

How does The Complete Maus show that the victims of the Holocaust were not just those sent to concentration camps?

Art Spiegelman refuses to sentimentalise or sanctify his father. Do you agree?

"I went out to see my Father in Rego Park. I hadn’t seen him in a long time—we weren’t that close."
Art’s troubled relationship with his father enhances rather than detracts from The Complete Maus. Do you agree?

The tragedy of the Holocaust brought out the best and worst of people. Discuss how is this shown in The Complete Maus?

"Whenever someone is hungry he looks for business."
The Complete Maus shows that those who actively pursued survival were more likely to endure the Holocaust and survive.’ To what extent do you agree?

"At that time it wasn’t anymore families. It was everybody to take care for himself."
How is the notion of families explored in The Complete Maus?

Mala says that Vladek is more attached to objects than he is to people. Is this a fair assessment of Vladek?

Spiegelman’s decision to depict different races as different kinds of animals is confronting. Do you agree?

Engage

Maus portrays how a lack of shared experience can strain relationships between people. Discuss.

The movement between the past and present throughout Maus shows how knowing the story of his family influences the narrator’s understanding of himself.’  Discuss.

In learning and re-telling Vladek’s story, the narrator alters his relationship with his father. Discuss.

How does Spigelman use animal representations of humans as a commentary on race?

What is the significance of the non-linear structure of the text?

The Complete Maus displays the full range of human responses to crisis: sadism and cowardice all the way to heroism and moral strength. Discuss.

Although the content of the novel is bleak, Maus is ultimately uplifting. Do you agree?

In Maus, the horrors of the Holocaust are conveyed to the reader through frequent and explicit depictions of death. Discuss.

The relationship between the representations of Spiegelman and his father shows that to understand a person's experiences is not the same as understanding them as a person. Discuss.

The characters of The Complete Maus don't just wear masks to hide their identity, but at times, to reinforce it. Discuss.

VATE

2015:
i. How does The Complete Maus explore Vladek and Art's changing relationship?
OR
ii. While Spiegelman presents the characters as animals, it is their humanity which is most apparent.

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. “You should know it’s impossible to argue with your father.”
Vladek’s stubbornness is actually a coping mechanism, even if it strains his relationships with others. Discuss.
OR
ii. The Complete Maus reveals the fragility of both individuals and their connections to one another. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. Discuss the significance of perspective in Spiegelman’s The Complete Maus.
OR
ii. Spiegelman’s graphic novel shows how dehumanisation can occur in many forms. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. “No, darling! To die it's easy... But you have to struggle for life!”
The most significant war the characters in The Complete Maus face is the one that is inside themselves. Discuss.
OR
ii. To what extent does the graphic format of The Complete Maus inform our interpretation of the characters and their actions? Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. Artie and Vladek’s relationship is more detrimental than either of them realise. Do you agree?
OR
ii. It is Spiegelman’s use of the graphic novel format that makes The Complete Maus such a harrowing tale. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. Spiegelman's graphic novel highlights the horrors of the holocaust in many ways. Discuss.
OR
ii The characters in The Complete Maus are irrevocably changed by the war. Do you agree?

Exam 1:
i. How does The Complete Maus convey the moral quandaries of storytelling?
OR
ii. Anya’s death affects Vladek and Artie more profoundly than the holocaust. To what extent do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. Vladek and Artie’s struggle to communicate is exacerbated by Artie’s desire to record his father’s story. Discuss.
OR
ii. What the characters in The Complete Maus find so harrowing is not violence or death, but the depths of human depravity. Do you agree?

Exam 3:
i. The Complete Maus is about disillusionment. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Vladek and Art are united by their experiences, but divided by the irrevocable differences between them. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. “You murdered me, Mommy, and you left me here to take the rap!”
Why does Artie blame himself for his mother’s death in The Complete Maus?
OR
ii. Visual language is just as important as written language in The Complete Maus. Do you agree?

VCAA

2014:
i. Spiegelman's use of the graphic novel offers deep insight into the horror of what Vladek and others suffered. Discuss.
OR
ii. For the character Art, creating this text is his way of understanding his father's experience. Discuss.

2015:
i. In what ways does the visual imagery contribute to the impact of The Complete Maus?
Or
ii. The Complete Maus explores the ongoing legacy of the war years for Art's family. Discuss.

2016:
i. How effective is Spiegelman’s use of the graphic novel in conveying the complexity of Vladek’s story?
OR
ii. The people depicted in The Complete Maus needed more than inner strength to survive. Discuss.

The Golden Age by Joan London
[\spoiler]

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. Sullivan tells Frank: “In the end we are all orphans.”
In this text, children learn that they are alone, even within their families. Discuss.
OR
ii. The Golden Age is as much about gain as it is about loss. Do you agree?

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. How does Genly Ai change during his time as an envoy on Gethen?
OR
ii. The Left Hand of Darkness is about loyalty and betrayal. Discuss.

The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. “Sir, your orders were a most gravely wrong thing, I regret beyond words my part in the business.”
Rooke’s crisis of conscience forces him into conflict with the governor. Discuss.
OR
ii. How is Rooke’s sense of identity changed by his experiences in New South Wales?

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Adichie’s stories suggest that assumptions and stereotypes about people of other races and nationalities are unavoidable. Do you agree?

Adichie’s stories are ones about endurance rather than hope. Discuss.

Engage

To what extent does The Thing Around Your Neck link a group of seemingly disparate stories into a cohesive whole?

The notion of “home” takes on many meanings within The Thing Around Your Neck. Discuss.

The narrators of Ngozi Adichie’s stories are often portrayed as outsiders looking in. Discuss.

How do the contrasting landscapes of America and Nigeria affect the characters within the stories and the reader’s understanding of the collection as a whole?

The Thing Around Your Neck provides a commentary on poverty and suffering through both well-off and struggling characters. Discuss.

Characters are not only oppressed by their circumstances, but by their pasts as well in The Thing Around Your Neck. Discuss.

The collection paints a bleak picture of the capacity for people to overcome cultural difference. Do you agree?

The link between Adichie's characters is not their background, but their humanity. Discuss.

Adichie's stories are all centred around critical moments of decision or crisis in The Thing Around Your Neck. Discuss.
VATE

2015:
i. Adichie's characters pursue happiness and fulfilment, despite confronting a range of obstacles. Discuss.
OR
ii. Adichie's stories explore the alienation and resilience of her characters. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2014 exams

Exam 2:
i. “The trick was to understand America, to know that America was give-and-take. You gave up a lot but you gained a lot, too.”
How does Adichie emphasise the importance of balance in her short story collection?
OR
ii. The Thing Around Your Neck shows how the things we say are often not as important as what remains unsaid. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. “She could not complain about not having shoes when the person she was talking to had no legs.”
Adichie’s short stories suggest sympathy and empathy to be worlds apart. Discuss.
OR
ii. How are Adichie’s attempts to humanise her characters evident in her storytelling?

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. “It is not good or bad, I tell her, it is simply mine. And that is what matters.”
The sympathetic characters in Adichie’s short stories are the ones simply trying to make do with what they have. Discuss.
OR
ii. Adichie's text is about the struggles of surmounting cultural barriers. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. Discuss the importance of perspective in Adichie’s short stories.
OR
ii. The Thing Around Your Neck is a predominately optimistic examination of Nigerian identity.

Exam 3:
i. "It is not good or bad, I tell her, it is simply mine. And that is what matters.”
Adichie’s short stories are ultimately uplifting, even if they may not seem that way on the surface. Discuss.
OR
ii. The characters in The Thing Around Your Neck are affected by both their past and their present. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i No one in The Thing Around Your Neck truly belongs where they are. Discuss.
OR
ii Adichie’s short stories are about the limitations people face when trying to overcome hardship. Do you agree?

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. Adichie's short stories feature many different kinds of change. Discuss.
OR
ii. How does The Thing Around Your Neck explore the importance of optimism and hope?

Exam 1:
i. The Thing Around Your Neck shows us the importance of perspective. Discuss.
OR
ii. The characters in Adichie’s stories struggle more so with their selves than with others or the world around them. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. The Thing Around Your Neck shows us why some barriers are insurmountable. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Adichie’s stories explore the consequences of unrealised potential. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. Adichie’s short stories feature contrasting landscapes as well as contrasting individuals. Discuss.
OR
ii. The characters in The Thing Around Your Neck retain an invaluable optimism despite their circumstances. Do you agree?

Exam 4:
i. How does Adichie establish the importance of culture and tradition in The Thing Around Your Neck?
OR
ii. Adichie’s stories are dominated by characters with great potential for happiness. Discuss.

VCAA

2014:
i. The characters in these stories long for their lives to be transformed. Discuss.
OR
ii. In these stories people struggle to overcome the effects of violence and loss. Discuss.

2015:
i. "...when he drove you to the airport, you hugged him tight for a long, long moment, and then you let go."
Adichie's stories examine the consequences of choosing to let go. Discuss.
OR
ii. The characters in The Thing Around Your Neck are affected by their current circumstances and by the past. Discuss.

2016:
i.  In these stories, the characters find they can change their surroundings but not the problems in their lives. Discuss.
OR
ii. It is the women in Adichie’s stories who display courage. Discuss.

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
The text is about Balram's changing attitudes toward religion. Discuss.

Balram's crimes are unjustifiable. Do you agree?

Adiga's novel is a critique of the Indian caste system. Discuss.

Discuss the importance of naming in The White Tiger.

Adiga shows how family can both support and hinder one another. Discuss.

The White Tiger challenges Indian culture to create a society in which individuals are truly free. To what extent do you agree?

Balram's message is solely about Indian culture. It has no relevance for the Western world. Do you agree?

Premier Jinbao is the most important presence in The White Tiger. Discuss.

Engage

"These are the three main diseases of this country, sir: typhoid, cholera, and election fever. The last one is the worst; it makes people talk and talk about things they have no say in."
The White Tiger paints a bleak picture of Indian politics. Discuss.

In what ways and to what ends does Adiga portray the hardships and cruelties of life for the ordinary individuals that the narrator encounters?

Balram may be the narrator, but the story is really about India. To what extent do you agree?

"The dreams of the rich and the dreams of the poor - they never overlap, do they?"
What comment does The White Tiger offer on poverty and wealth?

The White Tiger is critical of poverty and the selfishness that allows for it to flourish. Discuss.

"Free people do not know the value of freedom, that's the problem."
What lessons does Balram learn from his unique movement in the Indian social hierarchy?

The setting of India and political backdrop of impending civil conflict shapes the story that Balram tells in The White Tiger. Discuss.

"Stories of rottenness and corruption are always the best stories, aren't they?"
Balram is a morally reprehensible character, but makes for an entertaining narrator. Discuss.

“Yet even if all my chandeliers come crashing down to the floor…even if they make me walk the wooden stairs to the hangman’s noose- I’ll never say I made a mistake that night in Delhi when I slit my master’s throat.”
How does Balram justify the evil acts which he relays?

The White Tiger is about freedom, not just in the personal sense, but on a national level. Discuss.

VATE

2015:
i. "I think the Rooster Coop needs people like me to break out of it."
To what extent does The White Tiger offer an optimistic view?
OR
ii. "You see, I am in the Light now, but I was born and raised in Darkness."
Is Balram's tale ultimately one of darkness or light?

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. “This is the only 140-square-foot space in Bangalore with its own chandelier!”
In what way is Balram’s wealth symbolic of his control over others?
OR
ii. “Oh you young people and your modern ideas.”
The White Tiger depicts a clash between old and new values. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. Adiga’s novel reveals how self-interest can be just as harmful as corruption. Discuss.
OR
ii. How does The White Tiger suggest that education is important, but potentially dangerous?

Exam 3:
i. “If only a man could spit his past out so easily.”
The characters in The White Tiger are constantly grappling with the past as well as the present. Discuss.
OR
ii. Adiga's novel is about the way injustice affects people. Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. The White Tiger is about nostalgia, both on an individual and national level. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Adiga’s novel warns of the detrimental effects of an unforgiving and oppressive society. Do you agree?

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. We cannot sympathise with Balram in The White Tiger. Do you agree?
OR
ii The White Tiger paints a complex portrait of justice and freedom in India. Discuss.

Exam 1:
i. Balram exhibits behaviour that is both selfish and selfless over the course of the novel. Do you agree?
OR
ii. “The dreams of the rich, and the dreams of the poor - they never overlap, do they?”
To what extent do the dreams of the characters in The White Tiger dictate their actions?

Exam 2:
i. How does Adiga give us a glimpse of Balram’s morality through his narration?
OR
ii. The White Tiger is about corruption and duplicity. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. How does The White Tiger convey the change in Balram’s attitudes?
OR
ii. In The White Tiger, Balram must come to terms with the amorality and corruption that surrounds him. Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. We cannot sympathise with Balram in The White Tiger. Do you agree?
OR
ii. “He had ruled the Darkness, winning election after election, but now his rule was weakening.”
The White Tiger is about the ephemeral nature of power. Discuss.

VCAA

2015:
i. Although Balram becomes increasingly corrupt, the reader does not lose sympathy for him. Discuss.
OR
ii. "India is two countries in one."
How is this concept explored in The White Tiger?

2016:
i. Balram overcomes the obstacles that have made slaves of others. Discuss.
OR
ii. The White Tiger portrays an India in which immorality and corruption are accepted parts of the system. Do you agree?

This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff
The values of a patriarchal society are shown to be stifling and oppressive for both women and children. Discuss.

"When we are green, still half created, we believe that our dreams are rights..."
How does This Boy's Life explore Jack's hopes and dreams for his future?

This Boy's Life suggests that it is better to protect ourselves with a lie than to be damaged by the truth. Do you agree?

Jack has no positive role models in his life, adult or otherwise. Discuss.

How does Tobias Wolff's memoir explore the long term effects that a lack of identity can have on a person?

"I was tempted by the idea of belonging to a conventional family."
To what extent was the lack of a conventional family responsible for Jack's issues?

This Boy’s Life challenges the idea that childhood is a time of innocence and security. Discuss.

The American Dream promises individual freedom but this proves illusory in Wolff’s memoir. Discuss.

It is Jack’s imagination which allows him to escape from the grim circumstances of his childhood. Discuss.

Wolff’s memoir highlights the psychological paralysis that can result from guilt and self-loathing. Discuss.

Although Jack makes many poor choices, we never stop feeling sympathy for him. Do you agree?

The first-person narrative of This Boy’s Life means we learn much about how Jack sees himself, but little about how others see him. Discuss.

“It was truth known only to me”.
Can Jack be relied upon to tell the truth?

This Boy’s Life depicts people whose ideals are not reflected in the way they live their lives.’ Discuss.

“I was my mother’s son. I could not be anyone else’s.”
Is Rosemary the most important influence on Jack in This Boy’s Life?

“I was a liar.” 
What role do lies play in This Boy’s Life?

How does Tobias Wolff’s memoir explore the long term effects that a lack of identity can have on a person?

”I was tempted by the idea of belonging to a conventional family.”
To what extent was the lack of a conventional family responsible for Jack's issues?

This Boy’s Life depicts people whose ideals are not reflected in the way they live their lives. Discuss.

Engage

Education, both formal and informal, shape Jack’s view of himself and the world. Discuss.

How others want us to behave is shown to be a powerful force in This Boy’s Life. Discuss.

“I've allowed some of these points to stand, because this is a book of memory, and memory has its own story to tell.”
How does the memoir-style of the novel affect the reader’s understanding of the story?

Imagination and a childlike understanding of others influences Jack’s perspective of the world around him. Discuss.

What is it that shapes Jack’s identity in This Boy’s Life?

How is the story, and the reader’s understanding of the novel as a whole, shaped by the memoir-style and structure of This Boy’s Life?

Gender roles and societal expectations play a significant role in shaping the setting of the novel. Discuss.

Jack is a likeable character, but not a moral one. Discuss.

Wolff comments on the notion of masculinity through the male role models that Jack both accepts and rejects. Discuss.

The setting of This Boy's Life is unique, but the characters and experiences are timeless. Discuss.

VATE

2015:
i. The reader pities, rather than condemns, Tobias' immoral behaviour. Do you agree?
OR
ii. This Boy's Life shows that boys need reliable adult role models in their lives. Discuss.

ATAR Notes 2014 exams

Exam 1:
i. The characters' attempts to mould their own identities are ultimately unsuccessful. Do you agree?
OR
ii. "I was subject to fits of feeling myself unworthy."
Jack's self-awareness justifies his actions, and makes him more sympathetic. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. “It was truth known only to me, but I believed in it more than I believed in the facts arrayed against it.”
Jack’s dreams and fantasies are ultimately unsustainable. Do you agree?
OR
ii. The fact that This Boy’s Life is a memoir changes our view of the story, and its protagonist. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. Jack is an unreliable narrator in more ways than one. Discuss.
OR
ii. In This Boy’s Life, author Tobias Wolff distances himself from Jack and makes his former self unsympathetic. Do you agree?

ATAR Notes 2015 exams

Exam 1:
i. “Whatever it is that makes closeness possible between two people also puts them in the way of hard feelings if that closeness ends.”
The deterioration and loss of relationships in Wolff’s memoir have profound effects on the characters. Do you agree?
OR
ii. In This Boy's Life, Jack has no realistic goals. Do you agree?

Exam 2:
i. How does Wolff distance himself from the actions of his former self, Jack?
OR
ii. This Boy’s Life suggests that a fractured family can still offer some solace from a confusing world. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. "Being realistic made me feel bitter. It was a new feeling, and one I didn't like, but I saw no way out."
Does Jack have any control over his life?
OR
ii. Tobias Wolff's memoir is both honest, and detached. Do you agree? Discuss.

Exam 4:
i. The society of This Boy’s Life isn’t as detrimental as the characters’ own weaknesses and self-perpetuating suffering. Discuss.
OR
ii. In Tobias Wolff’s memoir, there is no character who we can rely upon to tell the truth. Do you agree?

ATAR Notes 2016 exams

Mid-year:
i. Wolff's memoir showcases the harsh circumstances that the characters have to deal with. Discuss.
OR
ii None of the characters in Toby's life are decent role models. Do you agree?

Exam 1:
i. “This is a book of memory, and memory has its own story to tell.”
Jack is ultimately an unreliable narrator. Discuss.
OR
ii. This Boy’s Life is about the inevitable corruption of innocence. Discuss.

Exam 2:
i. "Dwight wasn’t wrong when he called me a liar and a thief, but these accusations did not hurt me, because I did not see myself that way."
How does Jack’s view of himself change over the course of the memoir?
OR
ii. Jack and Rosemary’s lives are characterised by both reluctance and impetuosity. Discuss.

Exam 3:
i. This Boy’s Life is about what it takes to feel worthy. Discuss.
OR
ii. "The boys of Concrete High tended not to see themselves as college material."
How do the characters’ expectations affect their lives in Wolff’s memoir?

Exam 4:
i. Jack’s life is characterised by disappointment and misfortune, yet Wolff presents an optimistic portrait of his former self. Do you agree?
OR
ii. How does Wolff show the vulnerability of the characters in This Boy’s Life?

VCAA

2014:
i. "I had my own dreams of transformation..."
The reader feels that Toby and his mother are never going to be able to improve their lives. Do you agree?
OR
ii. This Boy's Life is not only about hardship; it is also about determination and resourcefulness.

2015:
i. Other characters betray Toby, but he also betrays himself. Do you agree?
OR
ii. Rosemary is unable to be a good parent to Toby. Discuss.

2016:
i. Toby’s unhappiness drives him into a world of pretence. Discuss.
OR
ii. How is Toby’s understanding of “what a man should be” shaped by his father and other males in his life?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:32:58 pm by literally lauren »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
Re: English Prompts
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:46:54 pm »
+7
Comparing Texts

Pair 1: Tracks by Robyn Davidson and Into the Wild directed by Sean Penn

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. A journey into nature can be extremely unpredictable.
Compare the way responding to the unpredictable is explored in these texts.
OR
ii. “… I also know how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong.” (Into the Wild)
 “… you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be.” (Tracks)
Compare how the importance of personal strength is explored in these texts.

Pair 2: Invictus directed by Clint Eastwood and Ransom by David Malouf

VCAA

i. The power of hope to bring change is limitless.
Compare the way the two texts explore this idea.
OR
ii. “Look, he wants to shout, I am still here, but the I is different.” (Ransom)
Compare the way the two texts explore the idea that people can change.

Pair 3: Stasiland by Anna Funder and Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. In oppressive societies, there is little possibility for trust.
What do these texts suggest about the nature of trust?
OR
ii. “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – for ever.” (Nineteen Eighty-Four)
“He who puts himself in danger will die.” (Stasiland)
Compare what the two texts say about the threat of punishment as a means of control.

Pair 4: Joyful Strains: Making Australia Home by Kent MacCarter and Ali Lemer (eds), and The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. The process of assimilation is a matter of gains and losses.
Compare the way the two texts explore this idea.
OR
ii. “Overwhelmingly, my desire was to melt in; not to disappear but just to feel … less obvious.” (Joyful Strains)
 “… to a casual observer, the Gangulis, apart from the name on their mailbox … appear no different from their neighbors.” (The Namesake)
Compare what the two texts say about adapting to a new culture.

Pair 5: The Crucible by Arthur Miller and Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. What do these texts suggest about human behaviour in a crisis?
OR
ii. It is individual courage and determination that help bring about change in society.
Explore points of comparison in the way this issue is dealt with in the two texts.

Pair 6: Bombshells by Joanna Murray-Smith and The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus
by Margaret Atwood

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. “And so I was handed over to Odysseus, like a package of meat.” (The Penelopiad)
“… I’m going to belong to someone! I’m not going to be floating on that endless ocean of singlehood.” (Bombshells)
Compare the way women in these texts seek to control their lives.
OR
ii. Compare what the two texts suggest about gaining wisdom.

Pair 7: Black Diggers by Tom Wright and The Longest Memory by Fred D’Aguiar

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. The black diggers and Whitechapel receive the treatment inflicted on them by the white men with
a mixture of acceptance and rebellion.
 Compare how the truth of this statement is conveyed in the two texts.
OR
ii. “Memory is pain trying to resurrect itself.” (The Longest Memory)
“That’s the thing, the bits left behind, they’ll come out, they must.” (Black Diggers)
Using these quotations as a starting point for a comparison between Black Diggers and The Longest Memory, analyse how, in the texts, memory is simultaneously inescapable and unbearable.

Pair 8: I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb, and Made in Dagenham directed by Nigel Cole

VCAA

2017 Sample:
i. Both Malala and Rita come to understand the importance of having a voice.
 Compare what these texts say about standing up for justice.
OR
ii. Only a select few seem capable of the courage necessary to effect social change.
 Compare the ways in which the two texts deal with the notion of courage.