Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:40:08 am

Author Topic: 'Animals in Society' breadth subject  (Read 919 times)  Share 

natty

'Animals in Society' breadth subject
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:02:06 am »
Would anybody be able to explain to me what this subject is about? The description on the UoM website talks about supply chains etc, but it doesn't seem relevant at all to the name of the subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

monicak

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: 'Animals in Society' breadth subject
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:59:14 pm »
I did 'Working with Animals' as breadth this year, however was initially deciding between this subject and 'Animals in Society'.
I just had a look at the Animals in Society handbook description and it looks like they have entered the wrong subject details, since it's not even related to animals.

I attended the first lecture and the subject seemed to focus on the ethics of animal use in various settings (eg. pets, education, consumption, science etc)

The current description on the School of Land & Environment is:
"This subject will examine and evaluate society's use of domestic animals, and highlight the ethical, scientific and economic impact of human interactions with animals in production, research and amenity systems."

The descriptions from the previous handbooks also seem more appropriate:
2009:
"This course is designed to encourage students to begin to think about how and why animals are so integral to human society. We will investigate the human-animal relationships, where they originated, during domestication, and where they are now. We will examine in detail some key relationships between humans and animals, including animals as pets, in agriculture, as research subjects, in educational roles and as pests. We will discuss the changing attitudes of humans towards animals throughout time and talk about humankind’s moral and ethical obligation to animal wellbeing. Within this discussion we will introduce animal welfare science and discuss some of the current animal welfare issues in livestock industries around the world. Finally, we will look to the future and where the relationship between humans and animals may be headed."

2008:
"The objective of this subject is to examine and evaluate society's use of domestic animals,
and highlight the ethical, scientific and economic impact of human interactions with animals in
production, research and amenity systems.
Topics covered include origins, history and domestication of domestic animals; world distribution
and use of domestic animals; animal ethics versus personal and social ethics; society
expectations and their implications; human-animal relationships versus development and their
effects on both humans and animals; and ethical dilemmas in livestock production, research
education and amenity systems.
On completion of this subject students should:
# understand the prominent roles in modern society of farm, companion and laboratory
animals;
# understand the nature of global focus on animals in relation to modern farming practices
and biotechnology; and
# understand issues in food safety, human health and the quality of life for both humans and
animals."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:00:56 pm by monicak »

natty

Re: 'Animals in Society' breadth subject
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:27:46 pm »
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it :)