Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:22:53 am

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 746058 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3645 on: February 27, 2020, 10:36:21 pm »
+2
Just realised that it was my 1 year anniversary on ATAR notes a couple days ago (I registered Feb 23rd 2019 - I think) - to be fair tho, I only started posting in September last year, but you know... I made an account... the thought was there ;D

Sounds like a good day to celebrate :D

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #3646 on: February 28, 2020, 12:51:48 am »
+8
Tonight I went to a Unimelb event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the launch of the first satellite built in Australia (wording deliberately convoluted - satellite was built in 1966, but not launched till 1970, by which time other Australian satellites had been launched).  A student-led project with a budget of $600 (which I'm sure was worth more then than now, but still sounds small. Incidentally, that was the first year of decimal currency in Australia).

The project: OSCAR 5.  One of the original models is in the Museums Victoria collection (here), and was on display tonight.

Many of the original team were at the event, and I talked to a few of them.

For antennae they used tape measures.  That's right, tape measures.  One of the people I was talking to was the person who went down to the local hardware store and bought the tape measures.  And for final deployment of the satellite to try and orient it correctly, they used bed springs.  Actual bed springs that they had to go to a bed manufacturing factory and negotiate for.

Another one I talked to was the only one of the original project team who had a car, meaning they were the driver following the weather balloon on testing runs.  And possibly a few traffic lights were run to make sure the balloon wasn't lost...

They had to basically figure out everything from scratch, since understandably neither the US nor the USSR were going to share what they had learned about space.  And were very relieved that it actually worked after launch, since they had only been able to test pieces, not a fully assembled module.

All in all it was a fun event, and with ASA as event sponsor also reminded us that Australia has done great things in the past and can continue to do so, particularly when working with other space agencies and private enterprises round the world.

One final note: Among other people, I talked with a student who had just graduated with a masters in mechanical engineering, after initially studying a double degree including law because they'd got really high marks, even though they had always been on the Maths/Science side of the fence.  They said they had great experiences and learnt a lot in the years they practiced as a lawyer, so it wasn't wasted time, and I respect that there are many on here who really want to practice medicine, in particular - but don't just do law/medicine because you've got the marks to do it.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3647 on: February 28, 2020, 08:59:11 am »
+1
Just realised that it was my 1 year anniversary on ATAR notes a couple days ago (I registered Feb 23rd 2019 - I think) - to be fair tho, I only started posting in September last year, but you know... I made an account... the thought was there ;D

Happy belated AN Day. ;)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3648 on: February 28, 2020, 08:09:01 pm »
+1
Constantly torn between wanting a motorbike and hating everyone who rides a motorbike.

Actually I don’t know if they’re so contradictory after all
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3649 on: February 28, 2020, 09:15:22 pm »
+1
Constantly torn between wanting a motorbike and hating everyone who rides a motorbike.

Actually I don’t know if they’re so contradictory after all

What do you see as the pros and cons?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #3650 on: February 28, 2020, 09:18:08 pm »
+2
What do you see as the pros and cons?
Motorbikes are cool and seem fun (also easier to get a license for that than for a car). But also obv bad for environment & there's an excessive number of motorbike riders who like driving at excessive speeds past my house during the night which makes me not like them haha

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3651 on: February 28, 2020, 09:24:18 pm »
+4
Motorbikes are cool and seem fun (also easier to get a license for that than for a car). But also obv bad for environment & there's an excessive number of motorbike riders who like driving at excessive speeds past my house during the night which makes me not like them haha

I haven't looked into it but my strong hunch is that a motorbike is a more environmentally friendly way of transporting one person than a car in Aus. Obv ptv & walking are better environmentally but sometimes you've got to work within the system to change it more effectively. If the increased mobility etc. will significantly help you and your only concern is the environment then it might be worth it but obv 100% your call.

Just please make sure you stay safe and are very actively aware of the roads and other road users
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:28:30 pm by Bri MT »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #3652 on: February 28, 2020, 09:30:07 pm »
+3
I haven't looked into it but my strong hunch is that a motorbike is a more environmentally friendly way of transporting one person than a car in Aus. Obv ptv & walking are better environmentally but sometimes you've got to work within the system to change it more effectively. If the increased mobility etc. will significantly help you and your only concern is the environment then it might be worth it but obv 100% your call.
Most of the reasons that I'd need the increased mobility would require a car not a motorbike anyway (wtf is with jobs that require a car when it isn't actually used for the work?? only other reason would be transporting large things which motorbike wouldn't help with). Have always been kinda intending to get my learners for a car and start learning to drive again but obviously difficult given lack of person to teach me & not really a priority given there's no possible way I could justify the expense of a car anyway. Still would be nice to get my license though.

Just please make sure you stay safe and are very actively aware of the roads and other road users
This is actually probably a good reason for me to not be driving anything that could seriously hurt me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:32:09 pm by PhoenixxFire »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #3653 on: February 28, 2020, 10:11:11 pm »
+5
re: motorbikes

Motorbikes are much more fuel efficient and better with releasing CO2. However they're worse than cars with all other greenhouse gases. Significantly worse. I'll note it's also not uncommon for some motorcycle riders to remove their catalytic converter to give their bikes a louder sound — but that's super easy to check for when purchasing

Road motorbikes are pretty easy to ride. They pretty much hold themselves up once you're going a certain speed.

My personal advice would be to if you ride one, don't slam the front brake because you'll come off hahagssgsbsowwhyowwhyhahaha
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:13:55 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #3654 on: February 28, 2020, 10:43:59 pm »
+3
My personal advice would be to if you ride one, don't slam the front brake because you'll come off hahagssgsbsowwhyowwhyhahaha
I learnt this whilst riding a pushbike. Definitely not keen to repeat the experience on anything faster.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #3655 on: February 29, 2020, 09:44:18 am »
+3
How do you find this out, do you get a notification or an email?

just wondering because I want to know if I am a Top 1% listener  ;D
If you're a top listener it should come up as a pink pop-up when you open Spotify. :)

Honestly I was very surprised I listened to so much but then again I have at least one of their songs in the majority of my playlists hehe
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #3656 on: February 29, 2020, 02:58:28 pm »
+5
Happy belated AN Day. ;)

Sounds like a good day to celebrate :D

I'll be celebrating with cake tonight! It might be my family friends birthday cake, but it still counts ;D
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3657 on: February 29, 2020, 08:54:09 pm »
+9
Physically harming fruit is harder than expected.

Smoothies taste better with an overripe banana, but we bought new bananas today that aren't close to becoming brown. Therefore I decided to try and damage one a bit so it could be riper and sweeter for tomorrow, but as I went to hit it on the table and squish it a bit, my body almost tried to restrain myself telling me to stop hurting it, so I had to keep telling my brain that it doesn't feel pain, but I had a strong feeling that what I was doing was wrong.
I have no trouble chopping up vegies or fruit though haha.  :P

2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3658 on: February 29, 2020, 09:45:14 pm »
+7
My girlfriend goes impulse buying - likely books.

Me going impulse buying - buys:
- a wireless car phone charger
- a new HD quality webcam
- a mouse with stupidly many functionalities for a mouse

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #3659 on: March 01, 2020, 11:06:05 am »
+9
My girlfriend goes impulse buying - likely books.

Me going impulse buying - buys:
- a wireless car phone charger
- a new HD quality webcam
- a mouse with stupidly many functionalities for a mouse

I haven't impulse bought books in a while though! 😂

I think my parents should stop buying the Coles choc-chip cookies. They're too addictive and I'd eat them all in a sitting if I didn't have some self-control 😂
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!