Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:17:05 pm

Author Topic: Frankenstein Essay Prompt Help  (Read 1277 times)  Share 

azralek

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Frankenstein Essay Prompt Help
« on: October 18, 2019, 03:52:49 pm »
Can someone help me decipher this Frankenstein prompt. Not sure what it exactly means and what evidence I could use for it.

"'Frankenstein’ warns readers that the natural world is more powerful than individual achievement.” Discuss how natural forces limit human achievement in the novel.

adamcrazz

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Frankenstein Essay Prompt Help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:28:35 pm »
Hi azralek, hope your studies are going well.

I am a VCE tutor and have helped a number of students studying Frankenstein this year.
In analysing the given prompt I would suggest you look at 'individual achievements' within the text. For example, Walton's pursuit of the vast poles or Victor creating life in the perennial pursuit of knowledge and recognition. Let's think about what natural forces could be depicted in Shelley's text. I would urge you to consider 'death' as the main one. Is what Victor strives for breaking the will of the inevitable force of death? ... possibly, and explain why. Then think of the tragedy that comes from it (i.e. the creature destroying everything and everyone in Victor's life that he cared for.)  Overall, consider this dichotomy of life and death that the text presents. Look at Shelley's own tragic life. What may she be trying to say about life and death being forces of nature? How do they limit the achievement of mankind's existence? Thus, it becomes apparent the danger if one is to meddle with these forces...

Hopefully this clarifies the prompt you're working on and gives you direction in where to go with your writing.

All the best with exams!