Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:59:18 pm

Author Topic: All the best for tomorrow, and some important things to note  (Read 4244 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
All the best for tomorrow, and some important things to note
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:46:44 pm »
Hi there, friends. :)

If you have post-ATAR questions about course preferences, try this thread. :)

As I'm sure you all know, VCE results are released tomorrow. How exciting! But before results come out, there are some important things that I think need to be said.

Firstly, I wish to say to the graduating Class of 2016:

CONGRATULATIONS!

1. For many of you, receiving your ATAR and study scores tomorrow will signal the end of 13+ years of formal education, which is a huge, huge achievement. In those years, you have all developed as students, friends, and people more generally, and ATAR Notes is absolutely proud of each and every one of you. It would be the best if you stuck around in years to come. ;D

2. A big congratulations, too, to those in the Class of 2017 or Class of 2018 who have completed 3/4 subjects this year; we wish you all the very best, and congratulate you for what has hopefully been a beneficial start to your Year 12 experience!

3. Now, as I'm sure you can all appreciate, this is not a particularly easy time for many students - perhaps more so this year than any other due to the leaked ATAR fiasco. And I don't think it's a huge request that everybody here is respectful in their posting. Trolling, disrespectful posts and anything else harmful will absolutely, 100% not be tolerated tonight, tomorrow, or thereafter. National moderators will not hesitate in issuing bans for those (regardless of who they are) that engage in this type of behaviour. If you encounter any behaviour which is questionable, please bring it to the attention of national moderators by clicking the 'Report to moderator' link at the bottom of that particular post.

4. Important to note is that it's okay to be emotional tomorrow. Whether that be disappointment, elation, or anything in between, it's totally understandable. Everybody here recognises that tomorrow is a big day and that, of course, the ATAR seems of utmost importance. For many on these forums, the ATAR is but a distant memory, and I'm sure you've heard the old "once you get to uni, the ATAR means nothing" sort of line. And whilst I acknowledge that it probably won't feel like that today, tomorrow, or even for months to come, I promise you that the ATAR is not the be all and end all. After all, the ATAR is merely a means to an end, and is not an end in itself. That is, there are always other ways to get to your goal destination in life.

5. If you're really struggling with things, please, please tell somebody. It is not an act of weakness to do so, but an act of strength. ATAR Notes is here to support you, but it's important to be honest with others about how you're feeling. I'll link again here to beyondblue and headspace.

6. You may note that these forums have respect disabled - and for good reason. It is an AN tradition of sorts to post scores, and this will be the case again this year. You are under no obligation whatsoever to do so, but for many, it's a nice way to cap off the academic year. If you don't want to read others' scores, I'd recommend not opening this forum or the relevant thread(s).

7. And on a related note, typically, ATAR Notes hosts many of the students at the very top end of the VCE spectrum. I say with great confidence that the student population here is by no means reflective of the wider student population. And whilst that makes for a wonderful environment, it is also likely to give the impression that it's normal to score very highly - but it's not, and it's important to remember that.

8. I recommend trying to get a decent sleep tonight, but if you're really not sure what to do with yourself, you might like to consider jumping onto the IRC Chat.

9. Again, and most importantly, congratulations! On behalf of AN, I'm taking the liberty to wish you all the very best and congratulate you for your work throughout the year (and all years before it). I hope you all receive the results you're hoping for and have worked toward, but remember: if you don't, the sun will rise again the next day.

10. I leave you with this extraordinarily cute GIF of cats:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:04:24 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Steph.Y

• Trailblazer
  • School: St Mary's Coptic Orthodox College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: All the best for tomorrow, and some important things to note
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
Thank you so much!!!
You have no idea how much i needed that :)

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:00:43 pm »
 Please keep in mind that your ATAR is not as meaningful as it is cranked up to be. For 99% of courses out there, it is very, very easy to transfer after a semester or year of uni without even making the course take any longer.

I know you hear a lot about 'alternative pathways' and some of you might brush it aside as a bunch of feel good nonsense. But it's true. Moving around courses and universities is very easy and approachable once you get at least a semester under your belt.

So don't feel too bad if your ATAR isn't as good as you hoped!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:22:50 pm »
Hi there, friends. :)

If you have post-ATAR questions about course preferences, try this thread. :)

As I'm sure you all know, VCE results are released tomorrow. How exciting! But before results come out, there are some important things that I think need to be said.

Firstly, I wish to say to the graduating Class of 2016:

CONGRATULATIONS!

1. For many of you, receiving your ATAR and study scores tomorrow will signal the end of 13+ years of formal education, which is a huge, huge achievement. In those years, you have all developed as students, friends, and people more generally, and ATAR Notes is absolutely proud of each and every one of you. It would be the best if you stuck around in years to come. ;D

2. A big congratulations, too, to those in the Class of 2017 or Class of 2018 who have completed 3/4 subjects this year; we wish you all the very best, and congratulate you for what has hopefully been a beneficial start to your Year 12 experience!

3. Now, as I'm sure you can all appreciate, this is not a particularly easy time for many students - perhaps more so this year than any other due to the leaked ATAR fiasco. And I don't think it's a huge request that everybody here is respectful in their posting. Trolling, disrespectful posts and anything else harmful will absolutely, 100% not be tolerated tonight, tomorrow, or thereafter. National moderators will not hesitate in issuing bans for those (regardless of who they are) that engage in this type of behaviour. If you encounter any behaviour which is questionable, please bring it to the attention of national moderators by clicking the 'Report to moderator' link at the bottom of that particular post.

4. Important to note is that it's okay to be emotional tomorrow. Whether that be disappointment, elation, or anything in between, it's totally understandable. Everybody here recognises that tomorrow is a big day and that, of course, the ATAR seems of utmost importance. For many on these forums, the ATAR is but a distant memory, and I'm sure you've heard the old "once you get to uni, the ATAR means nothing" sort of line. And whilst I acknowledge that it probably won't feel like that today, tomorrow, or even for months to come, I promise you that the ATAR is not the be all and end all. After all, the ATAR is merely a means to an end, and is not an end in itself. That is, there are always other ways to get to your goal destination in life.

5. If you're really struggling with things, please, please tell somebody. It is not an act of weakness to do so, but an act of strength. ATAR Notes is here to support you, but it's important to be honest with others about how you're feeling. I'll link again here to beyondblue and headspace.

6. You may note that these forums have respect disabled - and for good reason. It is an AN tradition of sorts to post scores, and this will be the case again this year. You are under no obligation whatsoever to do so, but for many, it's a nice way to cap off the academic year. If you don't want to read others' scores, I'd recommend not opening this forum or the relevant thread(s).

7. And on a related note, typically, ATAR Notes hosts many of the students at the very top end of the VCE spectrum. I say with great confidence that the student population here is by no means reflective of the wider student population. And whilst that makes for a wonderful environment, it is also likely to give the impression that it's normal to score very highly - but it's not, and it's important to remember that.

8. I recommend trying to get a decent sleep tonight, but if you're really not sure what to do with yourself, you might like to consider jumping onto the IRC Chat.

9. Again, and most importantly, congratulations! On behalf of AN, I'm taking the liberty to wish you all the very best and congratulate you for your work throughout the year (and all years before it). I hope you all receive the results you're hoping for and have worked toward, but remember: if you don't, the sun will rise again the next day.

10. I leave you with this extraordinarily cute GIF of cats:

Love this! ;D

Also to add, please, please, please keep in mind drinking heavily is not an answer to dealing with the results; whether or not they are good or not so much. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:50:49 am »
One key thing about today, if you've put a lot in and really care about this:

You'll feel weird.  You probably won't even understand what you're feeling or why you're feeling it; everything's pretty likely to be a mess and a roller coaster.  I was really happy with my results but I remember breaking down in exhausted tears and feeling absolutely shit later that day, not because I was disappointed with my scores but because I was just emotionally overwhelmed.

So however you feel - it's okay.  Today is a confusing and emotional day, but you'll get through okay. :)

If you're disappointed:

It's tough.  I'm sure you feel like shit.  You didn't perform as well as your goals and that hurts. It's going to take time for the sting to decrease, though it will.

But in terms of everything being over or your intelligence/awesomeness or life direction being decided by this mark - no way.  It's not just that 'there are pathways' (though there absolutely are!) - your year 12 mark means very little about you and your life success.  Hell, you have the rest of a lifetime to grow and perform; this single trumped up number means basically nothing about what you'll achieve in your future.  There's nothing stopping someone with a 42.95 ending up with a much more contented, fulfilled and productive life than someone with a 99.95.

Go and bake or play pokemon or go shopping or mow the lawn or sleep or do whatever it means to have fun/relax for you!  Congratulations for getting through this year, guys, you did well. :D  The future is ahead of you!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care