Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:56:55 am

Author Topic: 46 raw in Revolutions- Here's how  (Read 4522 times)  Share 

Elsa//768

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +16
46 raw in Revolutions- Here's how
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:18:56 pm »
+8
Hi guys! This is Elsa, and I completed VCE Revolutions as a year 11 student in 2018 with a raw score of 46. Here I just want to share with you guys some information about Revolutions, as well as some tips and tricks on how to do well in Revolutions.
I hope you find them helpful :)
Annnnnd let's get started!

Why studying Revolutions?
I will start off by asking you, 'Why do you study Revolutions?' There are soooo many VCE subjects out there, so why picking this one?
I sincerely wish that you can ask yourselves this question, because at the end of the day, if you absolutely hate history, it will be extremely difficult for you to do well in Revolutions, which, unsurprisingly, requires you to memorise historical stuff! Thus, the first step towards doing well is actually finding your motivation.

But still, why studying Revolutions?
Studying Revolutions allowed me to gain more historical knowledge on the cause and effects of major political events that shaped entire nations. But beyond my secondary education, studying Revolutions also taught me the need to examine events from both sides, to acknowledge others' viewpoint even if they are different from yours, and to remain critical and avoid seeing things in black and white.

How to study Revolutions?
Here are a few tips that I wish can help you with your study!
Stay organised
Again, Revolutions is quite content heavy, so it is vital to stay on top of things. Make sure that even if you are not studying ahead of your class (which is something I didn't and probably should have done), your notes are always up-to-date. This means that it is always better to finalise your notes right after your teacher has finished teaching a topic, instead of slacking off and trying to make notes on 20 topic at once. This will lower the quality of your notes and can add to your stress level!

Making connections
Apart from passively flipping through your textbooks, it is also important to make connections as you learn new concepts. For example, after learning a major political event, it may be a great idea to look back at previous events you have studied, and see which are the long-term, short-term, social, economic, and/or political causes of the topic you have just learnt about. By making links between historical events, you are not just learning about them in a linear fashion, but actually connecting them together in a way more elaborative way to deepen your own understanding.

Resources
Do not hesitate to ask your teacher when you have any questions (a huge thank you to Mr Keegan for always being so helpful). They can provide you with the most valuable resources!
Your textbooks are great resources-- use them to find quotes and create summarised notes!!
YouTube is a nice place to find some extra resources to help you examine events in a fresh perspective.
Remember to use AN!!! I gained so much motivation and encouragement here :)

Practise, practise again
Revolutions is not just about learning about historical events, but also about writing about them! Practise writing essays/ short answer questions before each SAC and leading up to the exam is extremely important!! I would suggest writing your responses instead of typing them up as well. By writing things down, you can memorise them better and it helps to strengthen your hand muscles. Practise writing faster as well, since you will need to finish writing one essay in approximately 30 minutes during the end-of-year exam.

Methods of studying
Use flashcards for memorisation and always teach what you learn! I bothered my Economic friends to death (jk) last year because I would teach them Revolutions knowledge every lunchtime... It is an amazing way to check whether or not you actually understand the concepts and it is even better when people actually ask you questions-- you will then be forced to explain things in a simplified manner!

Annnnnd the above are my most important tips. You can ask me any questions (plz be nice) about Revolutions in this thread and I will make sure that I answer them :)
Also, I am currently selling my Revolutions flashcards (electronic version). You can check them out here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=188907.msg1144716#msg1144716

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR REVOLUTIONS STUDY!
2018: Revolutions (46); Biology (47)
2019: EAL (46); Methods (47 ); Psychology (49 ); Legal Studies ( 39)
ATAR: 99.65
Possibly offering tutoring for 2020!
After all, tomorrow is another day.

StraightDepreciation

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: 46 raw in Revolutions- Here's how
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 01:53:14 pm »
+2
I woke up today, to find that i had gotten a Raw 50 in Revs, my advice to you if you are doing this subject is have a passion for it; enjoy reading about historical events; you wanna be that type of kid who reads wiki articles about historical events at night for fun; enjoy it, and practice makes perfect; i did about 30 source analysis, and wrote up a 10 marker on each possible question in the study design, it is an extremely time constraining exam so ensure you are not cheating yourself and do it in time conditions. Good luck to future revs kids and enjoy it; i had a blast