Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 01:37:37 pm

Author Topic: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.  (Read 92244 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2019, 02:15:50 pm »
+3
Hey Joseph41,

Thanks for making this thread and congrats on your amazing results!

Thanks very much!

I had a few questions about your routine during university - how many hours did you study per day (or did you not count the hours and instead just work from your to do list)?[/quote]

Yeah, I think it would be disingenuous to give a hour figure. It would have changed from semester to semester (and also within semester), and honestly I don't think saying like "three hours per day!" is actually useful at all, because three hours of my study could be completely different to three hours of yours.

So yeah, mostly just churned through what was needed. Significantly lower than the number of hours others would have invested, though (just due to the degree).

And you mentioned that when you were doing VCE you didn’t study at home - what kinds of things did you do when you were at home? Did you ever feel like you should be studying?

Just relax, really. Watch sport, draw, write poetry. Post on ATAR Notes haha. I've probably overdone it a bit in previous posts - I did study at home sometimes, but honestly it wasn't much at all. The one exception would have been my folio, which I felt I could work on at home without having to think too much.

Did I ever feel like I should be studying? Sometimes, but when I was at home, more often than not I'd come home from school, where I'd studied before and/or after, so I didn't hugely feel the need. If I felt like I had shit to do when it was night, I'd just note them down for the morning to deal with then unless they were absolutely time-sensitive (rare - don't remember any occasion of this, actually).

I feel like I’m wasting a lot of time just watching YouTube and movies and get that nagging feeling that I should be doing more work. Did you ever get that?

I think this is natural, probably no matter how much study you're doing. The nature of school is that you could *always* do more if you really wanted to, so it's quite difficult in that sense. I think the key, though, is being productive when you actually *do* study, which will hopefully go some way to freeing your mind up a bit to allow you to actually enjoy your down time.

(I mean it worked out really well for you and not so much for me so just wondering if I should put more time into studying and cut back on my ‘free time’).

Thanks again! :)

Hard to say! What's your gut feeling at the moment? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2019, 02:09:41 pm »
+1
As always, happy to answer any questions about school/uni/work etc. :) Feel free to leave them here - this thread is always open!

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2019, 02:20:53 pm »
+1
As always, happy to answer any questions about school/uni/work etc. :) Feel free to leave them here - this thread is always open!

What are your top 10 tips for people going into Year 12
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2019, 03:13:30 pm »
+5
What are your top 10 tips for people going into Year 12

Not necessarily the top 10 (would require some serious thought), and not in order:

> Take a break between Year 11 and Year 12. There's no need to study every day.
> If you don't already, work between now and the end of the year on speaking up when you don't get something in class. It's so easy to just nod and pretend to understand, which is counter-productive.
> Develop some sort of system for time management. I hated study timetables, so I used to-do lists. Just whatever works for you.
> Don't try to study and chill at the same time - IMO it doesn't work.
> Work on doing the little things well, consistently. For example, getting to bed early, staying hydrated throughout the day etc. Small things add up.
> Don't stop doing the things you enjoy doing just for sake of study.
> Try not to get too caught up with numbers. There'll probably be marks you're not happy with, or disappointed by. Dwelling on the number itself won't help much - working out why you lost marks, and then improving, will actually help.
> Enjoy nature when you can. Get outside.
> Try to balance your subjects - I found it easy to keep studying for the subjects I was good at, and ignore the subjects I wasn't good at. IMO a better approach is to treat them equally.
> Summaries. I loved them. For content-heavy subjects, I used them heaps, and still do! They make you actively think about what you need to include and, therefore, what's actually important.

Happy to elaborate on any if you wish! :)

smallbean

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2019, 03:51:19 pm »
+1
Hi Joseph! I was wondering how you disciplined yourself to avoid procrastination?
Also, how did you organise you time doing SWOTVAC in Year 12?
Thanks so much for this helpful guide!  :)
~Class of 2019~
2018: Chinese {SL}

2019: English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, Legal Studies, History Revolutions

2021-2023: Bachelor of Arts @Melb Uni

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2019, 04:19:13 pm »
+2
Hi Nick!😀

Thanks for this awesome thread! I was just wondering, did you start Yr 12 work during the September/ October holiday period? If so, was this helpful during Term 4 (Start of Yr12 -Term 1)?🤔

Thanks!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2019, 04:59:44 pm »
+4
Hi Joseph! I was wondering how you disciplined yourself to avoid procrastination?
Also, how did you organise you time doing SWOTVAC in Year 12?
Thanks so much for this helpful guide!  :)

Hey smallbean. :)

Avoiding procrastination was, and is, hard, and even those who achieve 99.95s procrastinate sometimes! So, to answer your question, with varied success haha.

Mostly, though, it was less about discipline and more about preparation for me. If I prepared well, and avoided distractions etc., I found it a lot easier. If you're trying to study but have Facebook open, or the fridge tantalisingly close, or chatty friends around, or whatever else, it's very easy to get off track. But if you're in a nice room with nice natural light, with your books and water, and your phone out of view, it's a lot easier.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is try to be proactive rather than reactive. Instead of punishing yourself or whatever for procrastinating, try to avoid it in the first place by setting yourself up well. Invest some time into study preparation and enjoy the benefits of study efficiency!

Re: SWOTVAC, good question. By the time it rolled around, I felt like I was on a bit of a good thing in terms of the way I was studying etc., so I tried to keep things pretty consistent. I actually went to school most days even though I wasn't formally required to (from memory), and studied in random rooms that weren't being used. Obviously you'll have to speak with your school about what's actually available to you during that time.

Actually being at school instead of home draws me back to the first point - study preparation. It's an important thing! How are you thinking you'll approach SWOTVAC? :)

Hi Nick!😀

Thanks for this awesome thread! I was just wondering, did you start Yr 12 work during the September/ October holiday period? If so, was this helpful during Term 4 (Start of Yr12 -Term 1)?🤔

Thanks!
Coolmate 8)

G'day, Coolmate. No stress at all.

The September/October period of Year 11? No, I didn't, but note that VCE and HSC are structured a little differently. As a rule, in Victoria you don't start Year 12 content in the final term of the year prior, as many do in New South Wales.

Aside from a bit of holiday homework here and there, I didn't do heaps over the summer break, either. I actually travelled for several weeks, and didn't focus on school at all, which was definitely a good call in hindsight! That summer break is pretty lengthy, so there's a bit of flexibility there.

Not quite sure if I've interpreted your question correctly, so please let me know if not, or if you have any others! :)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2019, 05:38:32 pm »
+1
Hey Nick! :)

You pretty much nailed the question, thanks for your reply and insight! The travelling sounds like it was lots of fun! :D Sorry, I may not have been clear, I meant the holidays to come (when this term ends). ;D

Cheers,
Coolmate 8)
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2019, 05:45:30 pm »
+1
Hey Nick! :)

You pretty much nailed the question, thanks for your reply and insight! The travelling sounds like it was lots of fun! :D Sorry, I may not have been clear, I meant the holidays to come (when this term ends). ;D

Cheers,
Coolmate 8)

Sweet! Yep, cool. I was focusing on my one Units 3&4 (~Year 12) subject mainly, plus my Year 11 exams. But again, VCE and HSC aren't really comparable in that sense.

What's your plan for the holiday period?

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2019, 05:55:32 pm »
+1
Over the holidays, I am planning on going to the AN lectures 8), look over some year 12 content (prep for next term) :) and of course relax/ hang out with friends ;D!

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2019, 05:56:56 pm »
+1
Over the holidays, I am planning on going to the AN lectures 8), look over some year 12 content (prep for next term) :) and of course relax/ hang out with friends ;D!

Sounds like an awesome trifecta — particularly the lectures. ;)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2019, 09:47:39 am »
+1
Hey Nick!

What is your opinion on working through content during the summer break (so that when you get to class you have background knowlege)?
Also what subjects did you do in Yr 12? (Did they scale in your favor?)
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2019, 10:46:37 am »
+2
Hey Nick!

What is your opinion on working through content during the summer break (so that when you get to class you have background knowlege)?
Also what subjects did you do in Yr 12? (Did they scale in your favor?)

Howdy!

I think working through content through the summer break is fine if you want to do it. I also don't think it's necessary in order to do well in Year 12.

No matter which way you go, though, I think balance is important. As I mentioned above, I was actually travelling for a lot of the summer break, and didn't do heaps in terms of VCE preparation aside from assigned homework from my teachers. I certainly wasn't several chapters ahead or anything like that.

Does that mean you should do the same? No, not necessarily. Are you thinking of getting ahead over that break?

Re: subjects, I'll list them below with very approximate raw and scaled scores. This is just from memory, so may not be completely accurate (I might even be contradicting myself from earlier in the thread).

> Business Management (in Year 11): 48 > 47.5
> English Language: 44 > 45.5
> Further Maths: 45 > 44
> Health and Human Development: 50 > 50
> Psychology: 48 > 47.5
> Visual Communication Design: 44 > 42.5

So, only English Language (slightly) scaled up, but I don't really see that as in my favour or otherwise. Scaling is what it is, and it's designed to make the system fairer. I certainly didn't feel that way through Year 11 and Year 12 ("my subjects scale down, this is so unjust!"), but definitely believe that to be true now. :)

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2019, 11:22:35 am »
Heya  :)

Any tips for dealing well in school whilst dealing with a chronic illness?
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2019, 11:37:57 am »
+2
Heya  :)

Any tips for dealing well in school whilst dealing with a chronic illness?

Hey scientificllama!

I haven't experienced this personally, so it's difficult to comment. I certainly recommend applying for the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS more commonly), about which you can find out more here.

Otherwise, I'd imagine it would depend heavily on your personal circumstances and the nature of the illness. As people who know you, your teachers/coordinators may be your best bet to chat with. :)