Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:12:52 pm

Author Topic: How many marks per minute?  (Read 9287 times)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
How many marks per minute?
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:59:14 pm »
When looking at any sort of extended response/short answer question, it will always be worth a number of marks.
What is an appropriate scale i should use to gauge roughly how many minutes you should be spending on a question, depending on the amount of marks.
E.g how many minutes should you spend writing a 10 mark question? or a 20 mark extended response? or a 4 mark short answer?
I'm not looking for how many words, or how many lines, just how many minutes
Thanks in advance!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
Re: How many marks per minute?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:41 pm »
+1
When looking at any sort of extended response/short answer question, it will always be worth a number of marks.
What is an appropriate scale i should use to gauge roughly how many minutes you should be spending on a question, depending on the amount of marks.
E.g how many minutes should you spend writing a 10 mark question? or a 20 mark extended response? or a 4 mark short answer?

Hi!

Allocate around 1.5 minutes per mark to allow yourself time to check at the end :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: How many marks per minute?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:35 pm »
+3
Hey :) To expand of Jess' fantastic answer, it's also a good idea to check what the recommended time is for each section of your exam (you can normally find this at the front of your paper, and at the beginning of each section), just because between different subjects, the expected amount of time you take may change! For example;

English essay (Paper 2) - 40 mins
Modern/Ancient History essay - 45 mins
History Extension essay - 50-60 mins (depending on how long you analyse the source)
Economics essay - 30 mins

Along with this, say you have two extended responses of unequal length (eg. the personality study in history) within one section (so with history 45 mins), try to divide it proportionally :) So Part A of the personality study = 10 marks ( (40%), so that would be 18 mins, and Part B (15 marks = 60%), 27 mins (roughly - if you save time in other sections you can add more time :) ).

Remember that this will always only be a rough estimate though! Hope this helps,

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!