Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:04 pm

Author Topic: Legal: Media Library!  (Read 39574 times)  Share 

TheMC

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal: Media Library!
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Hi,

On majority of my feedback I get told that I 'narrate' too much of my cases, is there any advice on how to stop that? Whenever I actively try not to narrate I am told that I don't go into enough detail or analysis of the case. I can't find a balance, any advice on what that balance is?

Thank you
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2017, 09:10:29 pm »
+2
Hi,

On majority of my feedback I get told that I 'narrate' too much of my cases, is there any advice on how to stop that? Whenever I actively try not to narrate I am told that I don't go into enough detail or analysis of the case. I can't find a balance, any advice on what that balance is?

Thank you

Interesting conundrum!

I only mentioned details of the case in the first sentence introducing the case, or when I am explicitly and directly relating it to the analysis. So,

"The case of Bronson Blessington, involving the abduction, assault, and murder, of Janine Balding, is fraught with legal issues." Simply, I've described the case enough to identify the victim, and also the three main charges.

"The argument supporting that Blessington's sentence was not just recognises that his history of being sexually assaulted was not accepted as a mitigating factor in the sentencing procedure." So here, I've identified that he had a history of assault, but it's sitting right in the middle of an analysis about whether or not he was treated justly - perhaps in accordance with a question about sentencing and punishment procedures.

So I suppose the key might be to never give case details unless it is embedded within a sentence that is delivering strong analysis or an argument.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2017, 03:39:29 pm »
+2
A great article that covers Indigenous people, family law, and Human Rights.

An absolute BANGER OF AN ARTICLE for your trials!
Your baby or your safety: the terrible choice facing too many Indigenous women

And hey, I've just realised it's written by one of my Journalism tutors.

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:04 am »
+1

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2017, 10:50:49 am »
+5
Hi everyone!
I'm working on a "year in review" for legal studies and it's almost complete. It's just got a bunch of reforms, major articles, and cases from this year. But I thought this was an interesting read so I'm sharing it:

We know violence, crime and masculinity are linked. It's time to look at why, and how to stop it

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2018, 10:55:33 pm »
+2
A little bump of this fantastic resource! And in addition, this case should be on everyones list for Crime. The instigator of the terrorist attack that claimed the life of Curtis Cheng back in 2015 has just been sentenced, for aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring a terrorist attack. It's the first time anyone has actually been sentenced for a committed terrorist offence in Australia (not just for conspiring to commit one!) - Must include in your essays!

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2018, 11:12:45 pm »
+1
A little bump of this fantastic resource! And in addition, this case should be on everyones list for Crime. The instigator of the terrorist attack that claimed the life of Curtis Cheng back in 2015 has just been sentenced, for aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring a terrorist attack. It's the first time anyone has actually been sentenced for a committed terrorist offence in Australia (not just for conspiring to commit one!) - Must include in your essays!

Ah yes just saw this article today! The Curtis Cheng case is also good in terms of looking at police powers and discretion. Also can make links to law reform with the introduction of the Terrorism (Police Powers) Act 2016 (NSW).
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2018, 07:27:44 pm »
+4
If you're a student using the R V Bilal Skaf case for legal, you should watch tonight's episode of The Project. The judge on the case was interviewed about it. When the episode finishes, you should be able to view it here: https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project/episodes

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2018, 10:12:14 am »
+4
HEY ALL,
Fantastic New York Times article on the backlog of the NSW Justice System, and how long people are being held in detention without a sentence: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/world/australia/prison-new-south-wales.html (would be fantastic to use this in your essay!!)

hilaryl

• Adventurer
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2018, 01:20:38 pm »
Elyse could you please check your inbox!!!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2018, 05:14:06 pm »
+3
Hello!

A CURRENT AND HAPPENING RIGHT NOW example of the fight for state sovereignty: https://qz.com/africa/1383455/britain-fights-mauritius-over-chagos-its-last-african-colony/

tessach004

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2021, 05:56:40 pm »
Hello Elyse! Is there any recent 2020/2021 resources you can provide?

It would be much appreciated! :)