Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:02:02 pm

Author Topic: Term 3 Holiday Revision - Psychology  (Read 1901 times)  Share 

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
Term 3 Holiday Revision - Psychology
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:25 pm »
As the term 3 holidays approach and term 4 draws near, I wanted to ask what specific things for Psychology you guys recommend doing or are going to do over the holidays to prepare for the VCAA exams. I want to get a thread going so we can help each other out!
2017: History Revolutions [35]
2018: English [41] Further Maths [38] Psychology [41] Legal Studies [38] Viscom [37]
ATAR: 90.55
2019: Primary Education @ ACU

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Re: Term 3 Holiday Revision - Psychology
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:47:59 pm »
+3
As the term 3 holidays approach and term 4 draws near, I wanted to ask what specific things for Psychology you guys recommend doing or are going to do over the holidays to prepare for the VCAA exams. I want to get a thread going so we can help each other out!

For me, I would just did a ton of practice questions. I allowed myself to check on my notes in the first few exams I did, but made a note/star etc. next to the question. Then, I would mark it and revise whatever I got wrong or had to check my notes on. I continued this until I had a pretty solid understanding of everything and most marks were being lost due to bad answering technique (e.g. missing keyword or definition etc), and not due to the lack of knowledge.

I personally would not recommend re-writing notes (I know people like to do this) because 1. it takes a long time and 2. it doesn't work as effectively as questions. Sure, you can polish up your notes and make them better and easier to read, but don't spend your holidays re-writing them in an attempt to memorise it or learn it. The best way to learn it is to practice the questions

Hope this helped :)
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:22:56 pm »
For me, I would just did a ton of practice questions. I allowed myself to check on my notes in the first few exams I did, but made a note/star etc. next to the question. Then, I would mark it and revise whatever I got wrong or had to check my notes on. I continued this until I had a pretty solid understanding of everything and most marks were being lost due to bad answering technique (e.g. missing keyword or definition etc), and not due to the lack of knowledge.

I personally would not recommend re-writing notes (I know people like to do this) because 1. it takes a long time and 2. it doesn't work as effectively as questions. Sure, you can polish up your notes and make them better and easier to read, but don't spend your holidays re-writing them in an attempt to memorise it or learn it. The best way to learn it is to practice the questions

hey where did u get ur practice exams (apart from the vcaa website and school), as I've already done all of them. Is there any site that provides practice questions for free????

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 09:47:55 am »

That's such a good idea, I wouldn't have thought to do that straight away!! Thank you!
2017: History Revolutions [35]
2018: English [41] Further Maths [38] Psychology [41] Legal Studies [38] Viscom [37]
ATAR: 90.55
2019: Primary Education @ ACU

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:07 pm »
+1
hey where did u get ur practice exams (apart from the vcaa website and school), as I've already done all of them. Is there any site that provides practice questions for free????

Wow! That's quite a lot of exams to get through haha. I would definitely ask your teacher for more exams before you finish up school, they might have some extra resources to give you :). I believe the epsychvce website also has a unit 3 trial exam for the current study design as well. Other than that, I'm not too sure where to get anymore. I didn't end up finishing all the vcaa/school exams haha.
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

recess

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 06:15:59 pm »
Hey! Since the psych course is relatively new, I'm having trouble finding many questions to do other than VCAA exams and checkpoints. You mentioned that you did a lot of questions as practice, do you recall which questions you did,where they were from? Thank you

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
+1
Hey! Since the psych course is relatively new, I'm having trouble finding many questions to do other than VCAA exams and checkpoints. You mentioned that you did a lot of questions as practice, do you recall which questions you did,where they were from? Thank you

Yeah, there are relevant question from basically every exam out there. You'll just have to know which ones are relevant and which ones aren't. If they aren't covered in the study design, they aren't relevant. So you can use every company paper and find the relevant questions from there.

recess

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 08:38:14 pm »
thanks! however my teacher says to not do the vcaa exams from the old sd because the things the examiners were looking for back then are different from the answers they are looking for now?

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 10:49:30 am »
+2
thanks! however my teacher says to not do the vcaa exams from the old sd because the things the examiners were looking for back then are different from the answers they are looking for now?

I personally wouldn't agree with your teacher 100% because the number of exams for the current study design is too small for you to just stick with current study design exams. You'll probably need more practice questions. So I would still use the old SD exams and maybe mark a bit harsher or go by your best judgement according to answers you've seen from the current study design exams. As long as you're learning how to properly answer the questions and manage your time, you should be fine :)

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:55:06 am »
Probably would be a good Idea to print one off and get your teacher to show you which questions pertain to the old SD...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D