Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:58:47 am

Author Topic: kit's vce journey  (Read 7238 times)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
Re: kit's vce journey
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 07:21:58 pm »
Great stuff rk!

Looks like we've got 4 subjects matching, how do you feel doing BusMan early has helped you? Is there anything in particular you've learnt that you value taking it into 2020?

I wouldn't worry about being unproductive this early in January. Enjoy these holidays a little bit longer and then you can get stuck into it and really start the term running! (both metaphorically and literally if you like running).

Thanks! I think doing business management or a 3/4 in general was a really good learning experience. I was able to experience VCE SACs and exams and I also learnt studying techniques, that come easily applicable to other business/humanities subjects. I was able to experiment with different techniques and what worked well with me.

Have a nice holidays too!
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 05:55:01 pm »
+5
University of Melbourne: VCE Summer School Review
This last two weeks, I attended a summer school hosted at the University of Melbourne that was open to year 11 & 12 VCE students. Today was the last day and all I have to say is that I absolutely loved it. I would definitely recommend this program to VCE students whether you're a high achiever or struggling! This program aims to cater to all VCE students!!

The Tutors
The tutors were one of the best thing about the program. All the tutors were students of the UniMelb and the program is student-run. But nonetheless all of my tutors were so passionate about helping us. I took completely advantage of the one-on-one tutoring program and extra teaching they provided. Even though they were all volunteering university students, they put their 100% into helping me and correcting all my work I gave them and I could not be anymore grateful. Not only were they brilliant tutors, but they were fun people to be around in general. They tried to making our classes fun and engaging and I couldn't ask for anything more.

The People
I'm a relatively extraverted person, but I was a little daunted with all the new people I was surrounded by, as I didn't really know anyone. But the students were in the exact same position as me. I found the students to be so nice and absolutely great friends that helped each other. I made so many friends that I knew would be long lasting and we even decided to make occasional study groups! The people around me were so amazing and you'll find yourself feeling sad when you have to say goodbye  :(.

The Extracurriculars
The VCESS program ran a lot of extracurricular programs to ensure students were also enjoying themselves on campus. Some of the programs were great competition (eg. trivia & scavenger hunt) but I found that perhaps there were too many extracurriculars that I'd prefer to use as a private guided study session. But that's my personal opinion and I appreciate the activities team for all their efforts! My personal favourite extracurriculars were the four workshops we took, that involved a range of things we had selected. I chose to take: Chinese 101, Spanish 101, Introduction to Australian Politics and Russian Language and Culture. The workshops included things like study tips, physics and maths lectures and random stuff like intro to parkour and Kpop dancing.

Overall, the UniMelb summer program was a fun and great academic experience for a VCE headstart. I would 100% recommend this to all VCE students!

Below is a sample of my timetables: (I took up Japanese 1/2 for fun!)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:50 pm »
+3
Sounds like you had a great time at VCESS! Glad to hear that you had an epic time over there ;D
Make sure you keep in touch with some of your new friends and you never know when you will bump into them again. 🤣

How did you find taking Japanese 1/2?

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 07:09:44 am »
+2
Sounds like you had a great time at VCESS! Glad to hear that you had an epic time over there ;D
Make sure you keep in touch with some of your new friends and you never know when you will bump into them again. 🤣

How did you find taking Japanese 1/2?

Yes, I've made some really great friends, whom I still keep in touch with! I found Japanese 1/2 quite doable as I did Japanese up until year 10. Although, there were moments where I forgot the kanji and grammar for Japanese. The tutors were super helpful and made it a great learning experience! Nonetheless, it was super fun and I made great friends in the class!

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 08:43:09 pm »
+7
Kit & Tuition
So this I've been planning out my tuition ever since year 11, just to make sure I maximise my potential of achieving my absolute best during year 12. But unfortunately not everything has quite gone to plan.

The Original Plan
In 2019, I had English and Methods tuition and planned to take up Economics and Legal tuition in 2020.

English: Class Tuition
Methods: Group Private Tuition
Economics: Class Tuition
Legal: Tutesmart  :)
Global Politics: None (because I heard really good things about the school Global Politics teacher and was planning to take it as a bottom two subject)

What Actually Happened
Economics: The class couldn't run anymore because there wasn't enough students, which I'm quite sad about as the tutor was tailoring the content to help me achieve a 45-50 SS. Nonetheless I still have a lot of faith in my abilities and my school to help me achieve the best I can so I'm not too stressed about this.

English: There was no initial problem. That is until I lowkey had a falling out with the tuition place and now I've decided to leave. This is actually kinda worrying because English is definitely one of my poorer subjects and English is extremely important for my ATAR and I was hoping to aim for a 40-44 SS  :(. Now I'm urgently searching for a private English tutor. IF ANYONE COULD RECOMMEND ME ONE THAT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. If I really can't find the right one, I could definitely just rely on school but I feel like I wouldn't be able to achieve the same results. I'm currently trying to contact all of my VCESS English tutors and hope something can be arranged.

I know its normal to achieve a really good result without tuition but I'm not too confident about myself and I feel as though having tuition could really come a long way.

Anyways if anyone could recommend me an English tutor, that would be much appreciated  :)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 08:01:33 pm »
+8
Term 1 Week 4
 This year started out a little hectic but otherwise its been a pretty great start to the year! Here are my thoughts on my current subject progresses:

English
I finally have an English tutor and I'm so happy to have her. She's extremely meticulous with my work and makes sure I'm constantly practicing. She is preparing me extremely well for my first SAC, and this has really brought up my confidence for English. With her help, I hope to achieve around a 42-44 SS, but who knows since school has only just started.

Methods
Ngl, I'm not feeling good about methods. There are already concepts I'm a little confused about and the teachers have been working at a slow pace, whilst my tutor has been working extremely quick with the presumption we're all already low 40s students. I'm hoping that eventually everything will become clearer and easier for me. But at this rate, I'm afraid methods may become a bottom two subject (even tho I was hoping to have it in my top 4). Honestly, from here I'd be satisfied with a 40 but I would really would love to work towards a 45. So I hope for the best for this year!

Economics
Economics has been okay so far. No challenges yet and it's still an enjoyable subject. My goal still stays the same at a 45+. I keep my high benchmarks at 45+ because I know that the difference between a 45 and 50 is so similar its hard to predict what you could get even with the best knowledge.

Legal Studies
I really dislike the legal studies teacher's method of teaching. It's extremely slow and dry and I just end up doing other stuff in legal. I'm pretty grateful for tutesmart, otherwise I would've ended up hating legal and probably dropping the subject or doing poorly in it. With the help of Tutesmart I'm still helpful for a 45+ score.

Global Politics
I LOVE GLOBAL POLITICS! The content itself is super interesting and the structure of the questions stem very closely to business management, so I'm quite optimistic for this subject. The teacher can be quite hardcore but she keeps it fun and makes sure we're well equipt for the subject. I took this subject out of curiosity and as a substitute to history. I'm so glad I took up this subject, and I'm pretty sure it might come out as one of my top 4 subjects. I hope to maybe achieve a 45+ for this subject!

Anyways, its been a pretty good start to the year and I'm hoping for an enjoyable finish to my schooling life.

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 10:59:05 pm »
+3
it's nice to hear you're feeling good about school! i totally get your situation with legal, it can be super frustrating when a teacher's methods don't match up with your learning style. global sounds really fun! are you studying any topics in particular that you enjoy?
keen for your next update!  ;D

edit : punctuation -.-

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:47 am »
+3
I see you're tracking very well rk! Just make sure not to burn yourself out/set your expectations at a height that puts you under too much pressure. Control what you can control, and that's simply doing the work and nailing the concepts! (especially for Legal/Global)
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 08:28:34 pm »
+1
it's nice to hear you're feeling good about school! i totally get your situation with legal, it can be super frustrating when a teacher's methods don't match up with your learning style. global sounds really fun! are you studying any topics in particular that you enjoy?
keen for your next update!  ;D

edit : punctuation -.-

My school has been pretty thorough with the content, so we're a little behind. I love the entire subject in general, but I especially love discussions about case studies. thank you your encouragement and all the best for your studies <3

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 08:30:09 pm »
I see you're tracking very well rk! Just make sure not to burn yourself out/set your expectations at a height that puts you under too much pressure. Control what you can control, and that's simply doing the work and nailing the concepts! (especially for Legal/Global)

Aww thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I will make sure to take care of my mental health!

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 08:00:06 pm »
+6
School & Covid-19

As you can all imagine, school has been pretty whack with the threat of Corona Virus. Being an independent school, students at my school have been faced with uncertainty about the closure of our school. Our school has handled the situation poorly and didn't officially announce the closure of our school until today, period 2 (IN THE MIDDLE OF MY SAC)!!!

This leaves us with a sudden three week holiday and perhaps even an online learning term 2. It is what it is and we all have to deal with this situation if we wants things to be better by playing our part.

This has meant that I will be missing out on my global politics SAC and not to mention a lot of unduly stress has been placed upon year 12s about the certainty, on top of others things.

SACs
This short-lived term one, I've only managed to complete three SACs, (English, Economics and Legal). I prepared extremely well for my Creative English SAC with my tutor and I feel pretty good about it. I had no qualms with the English SAC in the very end because I felt ready and well-prepared. This gives me hope that I really could achieve that sweet 42+ for English (but we'll see).

The day of my Economics SAC was an extremely stressful one. I felt okay during the SAC but was disheartened to not finish it. Economics is a subject I really enjoy and hope to score really well on. So, I was extremely disappointed to received my SAC score. Not only was it a bad score, but I know I ranked low in my cohort of 8. Nonetheless, I'm still very optimistic about my future, as my cohort is extremely strong and I know that wasn't my best and nothing is stopping me from improving. Hopefully, things will change for the better.

My legal SAC was today and I can not stress enough how pissed I was when the announcement of our school's closure appeared. It appeared in the middle of our SAC and was extremely abrupt. Teachers were in the dark about the planning of our school and had no idea it was coming. Our legal teacher told us to continue writing during the SAC, despite there being groundbreaking announcements for us. This made it very difficult for our class to just continue and not to mention the SAC was extremely long (I couldn't finish  >:()Also I felt underprepared, as I was supposed to be attending a wedding over the weekend that had cancelled. Overall, all I can do for my legal sac is to brace myself for that disgusting score and do better next time.

Tutoring
All my tutors have had to switch to Zoom (online learning). It's obviously not ideal, but I appreciate the efforts my tutors have made and I know it will keep me busy and motivated during this time period.

Plans
My plan for this "long" school holidays is to continue grinding throughout this period and maybe take it as an opportunity for more studies. I will definitely appreciate the freedom of my own schedule and I know I will have educators here to support me.

I don't want to be too bored so I'm thinking about offering online Business Management tutoring. I fully understand that this is pretty stressful for us. The absence of teachers can really hinder our learning and that is extremely unfair. I know some schools do not have the resources to implement online learning, which is why I may decide to offer business management tutoring to help students feel prepared and confident with the subject. Feel free to contact me if you're interested!

Anyways, I will probably continue to update this with all this free time now. Have a nice day!

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 10:14:17 pm »
+3
Good job on being so organised in this time! And getting through a sac with an announcement....I can barely concentrate in silence.

Do you think you’ll spend time mostly going over previous content of moving ahead? And since your school is independent is this week “holidays” or learning online? My school has provided no work this week even though we asked :( I suppose it’s only three days but still.
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

brothanathan

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19:38 pm »
+1
Might want to offer free tutoring to 3/4 Business Management students, this might be too much but I am sure it can be life-saver to someone!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:22:55 pm by brothanathan »

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 03:31:16 pm »
+2
Good job on being so organised in this time! And getting through a sac with an announcement....I can barely concentrate in silence.

Do you think you’ll spend time mostly going over previous content of moving ahead? And since your school is independent is this week “holidays” or learning online? My school has provided no work this week even though we asked :( I suppose it’s only three days but still.

Aw thank you! I'll most likely be studying ahead for my next SACs, whenever that may be. Our school has decided to make it early school holidays, but they've planned ahead for online learning, the event that we are still in the same state. Even if your school hasn't provided homework, there is always something you can do for your studies! Have a nice day!

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 03:32:34 pm »
Might want to offer free tutoring to 3/4 Business Management students, this might be too much but I am sure it can be life-saver to someone!

Haha yes. I'm still contemplating if anybody would be interested. But I'd be happy to offer it! Have a nice day!