Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:32:40 am

Author Topic: Old Marking Rules  (Read 63002 times)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Old Marking Rules
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:30:07 pm »
How Does This Section Work?

This section aims to be a one stop shop for feedback on any HSC response, for any subject. Be it a Creative writing piece, a Legal Studies essay, a long response for HSC Physics - You can post it here and get some feedback to help you improve it.

Let's face it - Usually the feedback we get from teachers is, well, not quite helpful. A correction of grammar here, a "More detail" there. Sometimes it is pretty clear they haven't even read the whole thing. Often we come away from the feedback with more questions that we had to begin with! And hey, if your overworked teach has 150+ posts to mark over a weekend, you can't really blame them. This section aims to rectify that feedback and supplement it with something better and more detailed.

Click here to post your response as a new topic in this board.

Use the convention: "[SUBJECT]: [ESSAY TOPIC]", for example, "English Advanced: Mod A Essay" or "English Standard: Great Gatbsy" or "Legal: Crime Essay!", or similar. Just something that makes it easy for people to see what your response is about!

Who Gives the Feedback?

Well, it's your peers! Or tutors. Or graduates. Our awesome ATAR Notes community. Anyone is welcome to give feedback on any response at any time - Ultimately every little piece of help is going to make you better. We strongly encourage everyone, no matter how "good" you think you are at a given subject, to help your peers and get help in return. Collaboration is the best way to learn!

Some of our moderators are expert markers. Literally, they've marked hundreds of responses for students over several years and helped all of them improve their marks. Our moderators will sit down with your essay for a solid half an hour, reading every line and giving you detailed comments throughout about what works, and what doesn't. We'll give you suggestions about how to improve it, and link you to any awesome resources on the site that we think will help you make the response fantastic.

This feedback has already helped hundreds of students boost their marks. Here is what one user said:

We just got our half yearly results back for our discovery paper 1 and I really just want to say thank you so much, because my discovery essay got 20/20!! Although I really did luck out with the question (It was "Discoveries can offer new understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves and others. - Discuss" or something with that rubric line) I really wouldn't have been able to write anything to get that mark without your help!! English has been an endless struggle for me, and you've seriously really helped me.  I cried like a baby for a few minutes (let me paint you a picture - 2 classes packed into one room, me, on the floor, crying. yep.)

How do I get my essay marked by a moderator?

The detailed feedback provided by our moderators takes a long time. Thirty minutes to an hour... Hypothetically, if someone were being paid $30 an hour, that's a cost of $15 per essay, at least. That's how much you should be valuing the essay marking. It's not a 'cheap' or less valuable service just because it's free. Remember that. Our moderators like giving feedback as a just and rightful reward for those helping us grow. Our way of saying thank you.

This said, we don't have unlimited amounts of time to devote to marking, so we have a post exchange policy to make sure the most deserving members of the community get that feedback:

Every 30* posts on ATAR Notes merits you one essay/response marked by a moderator.

In other words, if you've made 150 posts, you're entitled to have five of your essays marked. If you've made 300 posts, you're entitled to 10 of your responses marked. You get the idea... Essay marking isn't just for everyone. It is for those who are a part of the community, engaging with the community and helping us make the forums a cooler and more helpful place for all :)

Note: These posts have to be real, actual contributions. It is very obvious when you are just posting the bare minimum to cheat the system, just to access this service. That's not what this is about, and people doing that ultimately take up time we could be spending marking and ruin the system for everyone else.

This is about rewarding contributions to the community - This includes asking questions, answering questions, engaging in discussion, contributing resource. Shit posts like "thanks", "haha", "wow", "this is a good one", "this is helpful" do NOT contribute, and we'll ignore those posts or delete them as necessary. 30 posts might seem like a lot, but trust us - If you get involved in discussion, it builds up faster than you'd think! :)

Once you have enough posts, to get an essay marked, just post it in this section as normal, and include a little request to have a moderator mark it! We'll let you know if you are eligible and get you feedback asap. You might even get feedback from your peers as well!

Ultimately, you guys drive this system. We want everyone to be posting their responses, everyone to be giving and receiving feedback, and the people who do that the most will accrue the required posts and be rewarded with the additional feedback from our moderators/lecturers. It's a totally community driven initiative.

What subjects have free essay marking?

You can ask for feedback for any subject you like, and hopefully one of your peers can help! If you are after feedback from a marker, we can help with:

- English Standard/Advanced
- English Extension 1
- English Extension 2
- Business Studies
- Modern History, Ancient History and History Extension
- Legal Studies
- Studies of Religion
- Visual Arts
- Drama

The old marking threads have been moved to a read only archive - Feel free to have a browse right here :)

Thanks for reading and getting involved! If you have any questions about essay marking, post them below!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:29:43 pm by jamonwindeyer »
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

conic curve

• Forum Leader
Re: Old Marking Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 11:31:26 pm »
If you wanna resubmit your essay for remarking then does it require the 5 post count rule?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:43:42 pm »
If you wanna resubmit your essay for remarking then does it require the 5 post count rule?

As in, after one submission, does resubmitting the same essay constitute another 5 posts? Yes it does. The idea there, in addition to the regular rationale of ensuring the service remains useful and accessible, is that it demands you take some time away with the feedback and actively improve the work in every aspect. We'll give detailed feedback, and so you should use it to spend a decent amount of time improving the script. In that time, you can hang around the forums getting up the next 5 posts you need to get it marked again  ;D

shailerpennell

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:16:53 pm »
Hey idk if i'm being dumb and missing the direct link to this hahaha but what do i click on to actually send in my essay for marking??

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 07:34:10 pm »
Hey idk if i'm being dumb and missing the direct link to this hahaha but what do i click on to actually send in my essay for marking??

I can link you! What is the essay for??  ;D ;D ;D

The marking threads are in the board for that subject, EG, the Legal Studies Marking Thread is in the Legal Studies section  ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 07:41:59 am »

Don't worry about it! Youre definitely not being dumb! We all started here (quite recently) and me only about a week ago so youre doing a lot better than me :D. As jamon mentioned, the subject marking is in the HSC/VCE subject of your choice under {subject} stuff

I would link some below but AN covers so many topics I wouldnt know which ones you want!

shailerpennell

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 07:36:44 pm »
I can link you! What is the essay for??  ;D ;D ;D

The marking threads are in the board for that subject, EG, the Legal Studies Marking Thread is in the Legal Studies section  ;D

It's for my English creative writting on Discovery but i cant seem to find the sections   :-\

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 07:40:25 pm »
It's for my English creative writting on Discovery but i cant seem to find the sections   :-\
You can submit your creative writing in for marking here.

shailerpennell

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 07:46:51 pm »
Don't worry about it! Youre definitely not being dumb! We all started here (quite recently) and me only about a week ago so youre doing a lot better than me :D. As jamon mentioned, the subject marking is in the HSC/VCE subject of your choice under {subject} stuff

I would link some below but AN covers so many topics I wouldnt know which ones you want!

hahah thank you! i eventually found it :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:01:33 am »
New posting requirement is now in effect! For anyone curious or a tad confused about how this works, this is how we figure out your post requirement for getting feedback:

The idea here makes sense. It makes no sense, for example, to sell you a burger for $5.00, and then one week later say, "Actually, you now owe me 15 dollars for that burger you ate." Absurdity! The old burger is still worth $5  ;D

In words, the above math just says that the essays you posted prior to the change are still worth 5, it's only new ones worth 15, so people who have 10 posts with 2 essays posted aren't in like, "post debt," or anything like that ;)

We know it might be a little confusing, so if in doubt, just post your essay and we'll let you know if you qualify, and if not, how many posts you need to do so  ;D

Best of luck to everyone completing Trial exams in the next few weeks  ;D

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 06:59:21 am »
That is a pretty good advertising technique eh???

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 09:56:59 am »
That is a pretty good advertising technique eh???

Hey JK! What do you mean by that?
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

kavinila

• Trailblazer
  • School: Strathfield Girls HS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 06:50:41 pm »
hi hello! what are the current procedures?
I had my creative looked over the day before paper 1? how many posts do I need to have in order to have another essay/creative marked? (ext English exam on Monday)

many thanks! :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 06:56:01 pm »
hi hello! what are the current procedures?
I had my creative looked over the day before paper 1? how many posts do I need to have in order to have another essay/creative marked? (ext English exam on Monday)

many thanks! :)
It's 15 per extended response, so you can already put one of them up. Literally 2 more (legitimate) posts and you can put the other one up as well

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:46 pm »
It's 15 per extended response, so you can already put one of them up. Literally 2 more (legitimate) posts and you can put the other one up as well

But didnt op already have a creative looked at paper 1? Which would mean that it would be more? Or was it not really marked? Im confused..

Rui is probably right, I'm tired so dont be alarmed :)