Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:05:55 am

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 130405 times)  Share 

sarah.l

• Adventurer
  • Just trying to survive
  • Respect: +2
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 12:27:16 pm »
Hiya!!  :)
Bit of an odd question. I included the word "zeitgeist" in part of my major work ("the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time") but upon revision I find the concept pretty unattainable in hindsight. I was wondering if I can get some thoughts/opinions/personal interpretations? It would really help me organize my thoughts  :D :D :D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 12:49:35 pm »
Hiya!!  :)
Bit of an odd question. I included the word "zeitgeist" in part of my major work ("the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time") but upon revision I find the concept pretty unattainable in hindsight. I was wondering if I can get some thoughts/opinions/personal interpretations? It would really help me organize my thoughts  :D :D :D

Hi Sarah!

Happy to help out, but I'm a little bit confused as to what you are asking + need a little bit more context in order to give you the most constructive help :)

Is your question whether a zeitgeist can actually be accurately identified? Is you essay question on the concept of the zeitgeist, or is it just something that has naturally popped up in your own essay (i.e. not necessarily a key point)? Is there a particular zeitgeist that you are discussing (i.e. period of time?)?

Thanks! Once I have a better understanding of what you are asking I'll be able to give you some better advice :)

Susie

FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sarah.l

• Adventurer
  • Just trying to survive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 10:03:52 am »
Hi!  :)

It happened to pop up relatively naturally - I was writing about looking back on the past and attempting to capture an 'accurate' sense of essence, until I gave it some thought and decided that it can't actually be done. Ultimately, I'm trying to say that 'period' labels are pretty arbitrary, and that a generalized 'essence' is subject to a whole heap of sexism, classism and racism. I decided I should probably get some other ideas so that I can get a nice, well-rounded opinion :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 12:42:44 pm »
Hi!  :)

It happened to pop up relatively naturally - I was writing about looking back on the past and attempting to capture an 'accurate' sense of essence, until I gave it some thought and decided that it can't actually be done. Ultimately, I'm trying to say that 'period' labels are pretty arbitrary, and that a generalized 'essence' is subject to a whole heap of sexism, classism and racism. I decided I should probably get some other ideas so that I can get a nice, well-rounded opinion :)
Ah okay I getcha! Definitely an interesting argument - and I have to agree with you there! To suggest that one, universally applicable zeitgeist can be applicable to a period of time (or even just a period of time within one section of the world!) is very simplistic. For example, looking at the Middle Ages as the 'Dark Ages', categorised as backwards, superstitious and uneducated/cultured, is most definitely not an accurate label to describe the Islamic World at this time, which was going through a kind of golden era. There is actually a historiographical concept to describe this - reductionism (a bunch of my students are doing their major works on this, so interesting that you brought this up!) :) I also love how you linked this idea to other issues, such as sexism, classism and racism, because they definitely play an important role. It was only in recent decades (1970s - ) that history has begun to be written from other perspectives (social history/bottom up history), prior to that the history of 'Great White Men' was dominant - and thus their actions contributed to the apparent 'zeitgeist'. So if you want to do more research on this, I definitely recommend having a look into the concepts of reductionism and social history/history from the bottom up :)

Hope this helps! If there is anything more you want to discuss from this/you found confusing let me know!

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Rasika

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 12:46:35 am »
How do you study for the paper one section?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 01:03:44 am »
How do you study for the paper one section?

I cannot stress the importance of doing practice papers (for both section 1 and 2) - even more so in extension than in others. The key to doing well in extension is developing your own voice, argument and opinion, and that is done through continually exposing yourselves to different questions, forcing you to develop a strong thesis :)

Other great ways to study? Well as I said to you earlier, if you are gonna right notes, tables with the historians, their context, methodology and perspective is great :) I also recommend writing a table with the syllabus dot points as a guide, linking them to various historians/debates/etc :)

Finally study groups are great, as is discussion! Why don't you try testing out the History Extension Debating Thread! Have an argument you want to test out? A theory you want to discuss? Chuck it over there and we can talk it out :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 06:27:51 pm »
hey!!
our school is offering history extension for the first time next year...
and i am wondering if anyone would seriously recommend it???  ;D
is it heaps of work?? can it be compared to any other subjects?? is it super hard??
sorry for so many questions... i just want to make a sensible decision!!!   ;)
Hey hey!! I defs recommend giving history extension a go! Was one of the best choices I made for my HSC last year - one of the most interesting courses that I studied, really changed my worldview on a lot of things :)

First question: Is it a lot of work? It is a lot of work not going to lie, however it is definitely manageable if you keep on top of things. I studied drama last year, which basically has 2 major works due with both the GP and the IP, but I still felt like I had enough time to work on history extension.

Second question: No. It is very different from other subjects. Content wise its closest link is probably society and culture due to the sociological/philosophical element, however even then it pales in comparison. History extension is a lot more independant. Whereas in say Modern or Ancient you all pretty much learn the same content across the state, and apply it is (probably) quite a similar way (eg. a lot of Russia essays probably look the same), in history extension while one school may focus a lot on postmodernism, others may focus more on the British Marxist Historians. Just take a look at the syllabus - it is impossible for you to cover every bit of content regarding each dot point, so it is quite interpretive how you go about it! This was one of the reasons I really liked extension - it gave me the opportunity to really form my own opinion about things!

3rd question: Is it hard? Yes. It is hard. Manageable - but hard. According to senior marker Bruce Dennett, it is essentially a university subject. The content fucks with your brain (but in my opinion - in a good way!). You will have your beliefs on reality, truth, objectivity and society challenged again and again - but that is something that makes this course so exciting!

So yes! I defs recommend giving it ago - assuming you will have more than 10 units already, you can always drop the subject later on if you are finding it too hard :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 03:10:40 pm »
Hello  :D
I've got a question regarding my major work,
I've been looking at the top past projects that won the extension history essay prize and most of their questions are really really specific. I'm kinda worried that my question is way too broad, do you have to be specific in-order to go well?
I was talking to a substitute history teacher at my school and he said that he has never seen someone get an E4 using my project topic (this obviously really scared me haha  ;D). However he did say that as long as the teachers are happy with your project idea then it doesn't matter since they will be marking it.
I got 20/20 for my project proposal so I think they should hopefully approve of my essay if it is done well. What do you think about my question? is it too broad?
I haven't really pinpointed my question exactly yet but it consists of these two main questions:
1) Discuss the changing interpretations of the Spartacus legend/figure over time
2)Explain the reasons as to why historians over time have adopted different perspectives of the Spartacus legend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  ;D

thanks!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:15:25 pm by Maraos »
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 10:27:13 pm »
Oh and also just another question,
I've got a lot of historians on my topic (far too many to spend time speaking about all of them). Do you think I should just focus on the historians who have the most to say (for example for my ancient historians Appian is the principal source on Spartacus, writing the most about him and going into the most detail).
I was thinking of adopting a chronological approach to my essay. So starting with the ancient (antiquity) perspective of Spartacus and then going through to the modern accounts of Spartacus. Would this be an effective way to approach my question(s).

Thanks! :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 10:34:07 pm »
+2
Hello  :D
I've got a question regarding my major work,
I've been looking at the top past projects that won the extension history essay prize and most of their questions are really really specific. I'm kinda worried that my question is way too broad, do you have to be specific in-order to go well?
I was talking to a substitute history teacher at my school and he said that he has never seen someone get an E4 using my project topic (this obviously really scared me haha  ;D). However he did say that as long as the teachers are happy with your project idea then it doesn't matter since they will be marking it.
I got 20/20 for my project proposal so I think they should hopefully approve of my essay if it is done well. What do you think about my question? is it too broad?
I haven't really pinpointed my question exactly yet but it consists of these two main questions:
1) Discuss the changing interpretations of the Spartacus legend/figure over time
2)Explain the reasons as to why historians over time have adopted different perspectives of the Spartacus legend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  ;D

thanks!
Heya!!
Okay so to be completely and 100% honest with you - your questions do seem quite broad, and yes, it is harder to get an E4 with a question like that - not only because it is broad, but because it limits you conceptually by focusing on an area of history within your question - however guess what, with only a little bit of tweaking we can fix it up!

So you're looking at Sparta yeah? Well rather having your question on Sparta, why don't we make the question a bit more broad (I know that might sound weird in the context of this topic but trust me), such as (and this should not be your final question):

Analyse why interpretations of historical events change over time.

Then use Sparta as your case study that you will integrate throughout. Why have a suggested this? Well, by broadening the scope of the question and making the focus historiography, you are limiting your ability to write a history essay rather than a historiography essay. With Sparta a focus of your question, it becomes way easier to just fall into the trap of writing spartan history. Along with this, by using Sparta as a case study rather than a focus question, you are demonstrating that not only do you understand broader historiographical concepts, but know how to identify them as well! Finally, it gives you more room conceptually. It allows for you to fit in more historiographical theories and discussion, rather than history. This'll make it so much easier when looking for evidence, because rather than every source having to relate directly to Sparta, it can instead link to a broader historiographical concern (basically any piece of historiography), which then you link to Sparta as a case study - further demonstrating your ability to link theory to practice!

But then... is the question I gave you a good one? Hardly - way too broad and simplistic. What we need to do is narrow our focus, while still keeping it accessible for Spartan history to be utilised as a case study. The way to do this, in my opinion, is to look at the historiographical concepts. Now there are SOOOOOOO many to choose from. Like literally so many, many of which you will have studied in class. However I can think of one of the top of my head that I think could work really well!!! THE SPARTAN MIRAGE.

The Spartan Mirage is the term used to describe the mainstream interpretation of Sparta - aggressive, totalitarian, militaristic, no culture/art/etc.etc. It is an example of REDUCTIONIST history - focusing on only a few elements in order to formulate a larger narrative. When it comes to Sparta in particular, you've got to critically assess who the majority of their history is filtered through - Athenian writers   ;) With that in mind, now this is only a suggestion, but what if this was your question?

Critically analyse the purpose and implications of reductionist history, and it's ability to formulate a holistic truth.
Subtitle: An analysis of the Spartan Mirage and it's impact upon the interpretations of Spartan history and historiography.

Obviously that is just a suggestion, and there are many other questions that could work really well as well! But yeah, I think the above question would work quite nicely - it's not so narrow that you'll struggle to find information, but not too broad that you'll be writing forever. I'd then suggest breaking up your paragraphs by looking closely at the purpose and implications of reductionism as a concept, then through your paragraphs integrate how this is demonstrated through the Spartan Mirage (kinda like how in a discovery essay you don't want to discuss the texts in your first sentence!)

Oh and also just another question,
I've got a lot of historians on my topic (far too many to spend time speaking about all of them). Do you think I should just focus on the historians who have the most to say (for example for my ancient historians Appian is the principal source on Spartacus, writing the most about him and going into the most detail).
I was thinking of adopting a chronological approach to my essay. So starting with the ancient (antiquity) perspective of Spartacus and then going through to the modern accounts of Spartacus. Would this be an effective way to approach my question(s).

Thanks! :)
DO NOT WRITE A CHRONOLOGY. DO NOT. You will get hammered by the markers, because that is not historiography - that is the history of historiography (so essentially just a history essay). Instead, focus on the historiographical concepts and how they can be demonstrated through historiography on Sparta - this will also allow you to develop your own voice, rather than just letting us know what the different interpretations were throughout history.

In terms of historians as I said earlier the best to incorporate would be historiographers, that may not be discussing Sparta specifically, but that look at concepts that directly impact Spartan historiography. Take a look at people like John Vincent, EH Carr, Hayden White, etc. etc. They may not be writing about Sparta, but their historiographical ideas can still be used to great effect! Great to include some Spartan historians as well, but their inclusion should be more so to demonstrate the interpretations than to present an argument.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know :)

Susie

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 10:55:54 pm »
Heya!!
Okay so to be completely and 100% honest with you - your questions do seem quite broad, and yes, it is harder to get an E4 with a question like that - not only because it is broad, but because it limits you conceptually by focusing on an area of history within your question - however guess what, with only a little bit of tweaking we can fix it up!

So you're looking at Sparta yeah? Well rather having your question on Sparta, why don't we make the question a bit more broad (I know that might sound weird in the context of this topic but trust me), such as (and this should not be your final question):

Analyse why interpretations of historical events change over time.

Then use Sparta as your case study that you will integrate throughout. Why have a suggested this? Well, by broadening the scope of the question and making the focus historiography, you are limiting your ability to write a history essay rather than a historiography essay. With Sparta a focus of your question, it becomes way easier to just fall into the trap of writing spartan history. Along with this, by using Sparta as a case study rather than a focus question, you are demonstrating that not only do you understand broader historiographical concepts, but know how to identify them as well! Finally, it gives you more room conceptually. It allows for you to fit in more historiographical theories and discussion, rather than history. This'll make it so much easier when looking for evidence, because rather than every source having to relate directly to Sparta, it can instead link to a broader historiographical concern (basically any piece of historiography), which then you link to Sparta as a case study - further demonstrating your ability to link theory to practice!

But then... is the question I gave you a good one? Hardly - way too broad and simplistic. What we need to do is narrow our focus, while still keeping it accessible for Spartan history to be utilised as a case study. The way to do this, in my opinion, is to look at the historiographical concepts. Now there are SOOOOOOO many to choose from. Like literally so many, many of which you will have studied in class. However I can think of one of the top of my head that I think could work really well!!! THE SPARTAN MIRAGE.

The Spartan Mirage is the term used to describe the mainstream interpretation of Sparta - aggressive, totalitarian, militaristic, no culture/art/etc.etc. It is an example of REDUCTIONIST history - focusing on only a few elements in order to formulate a larger narrative. When it comes to Sparta in particular, you've got to critically assess who the majority of their history is filtered through - Athenian writers   ;) With that in mind, now this is only a suggestion, but what if this was your question?

Critically analyse the purpose and implications of reductionist history, and it's ability to formulate a holistic truth.
Subtitle: An analysis of the Spartan Mirage and it's impact upon the interpretations of Spartan history and historiography.

Obviously that is just a suggestion, and there are many other questions that could work really well as well! But yeah, I think the above question would work quite nicely - it's not so narrow that you'll struggle to find information, but not too broad that you'll be writing forever. I'd then suggest breaking up your paragraphs by looking closely at the purpose and implications of reductionism as a concept, then through your paragraphs integrate how this is demonstrated through the Spartan Mirage (kinda like how in a discovery essay you don't want to discuss the texts in your first sentence!)
DO NOT WRITE A CHRONOLOGY. DO NOT. You will get hammered by the markers, because that is not historiography - that is the history of historiography (so essentially just a history essay). Instead, focus on the historiographical concepts and how they can be demonstrated through historiography on Sparta - this will also allow you to develop your own voice, rather than just letting us know what the different interpretations were throughout history.

In terms of historians as I said earlier the best to incorporate would be historiographers, that may not be discussing Sparta specifically, but that look at concepts that directly impact Spartan historiography. Take a look at people like John Vincent, EH Carr, Hayden White, etc. etc. They may not be writing about Sparta, but their historiographical ideas can still be used to great effect! Great to include some Spartan historians as well, but their inclusion should be more so to demonstrate the interpretations than to present an argument.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know :)

Susie

Thanks so much for the advice! :D
I agree with you I really do have to pin-point my question, and yes no chronological approach thanks so much for clearing that up, I was legit about to start writing my draft essay haha, that would've been bad......  :D
One thing, sorry if I didn't make it clear in my first post :D
I'm actually doing 'Spartacus', the leader of the famous roman gladiator slave revolt of 73BC.
Essentially what I'm thinking of doing (and what my teacher said i should do) is looking at the changing interpretations of the Spartacus legend over time. My teacher said i should focus on why particular views have been adopted and what has driven these views. For example Marxist historians (of the 20th century) adopt different views of the Spartacus hero/legend as opposed to the historians of antiquity. Most modern historians portray Spartacus as a freedom fighter, fighting against a tyrannical Roman government, whereas the historians of antiquity perceive him as a bandit and criminal. So possibly looking at the driving forces behind these vastly different perspectives. And why over time people have adopted different views of the legend.   

Would that work?
Thanks again for the advice :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2017, 11:03:25 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for the advice! :D
I agree with you I really do have to pin-point my question, and yes no chronological approach thanks so much for clearing that up, I was legit about to start writing my draft essay haha, that would've been bad......  :D
One thing, sorry if I didn't make it clear in my first post :D
I'm actually doing 'Spartacus', the leader of the famous roman gladiator slave revolt of 73BC.
Essentially what I'm thinking of doing (and what my teacher said i should do) is looking at the changing interpretations of the Spartacus legend over time. My teacher said i should focus on why particular views have been adopted and what has driven these views. For example Marxist historians (of the 20th century) adopt different views of the Spartacus hero/legend as opposed to the historians of antiquity. Most modern historians portray Spartacus as a freedom fighter, fighting against a tyrannical Roman government, whereas the historians of antiquity perceive him as a bandit and criminal. So possibly looking at the driving forces behind these vastly different perspectives. And why over time people have adopted different views of the legend.   

Would that work?
Thanks again for the advice :D
Omg lol hahaha completely my mistake - read it wrong the first time and then that just stuck in my head. But most of my points (aside from the specific ones about Sparta) still stand - the best essays will use Spartacus as a case study to demonstrate the significance of a wider historiographical issue or concept. I'd still look into reductionism - it works with most topics (all of my history extension students did their major works on reductionism - completely independent of one another hahaha). Other thing I'd have a look at is linguistics, and the concept of legends in general - why are they created? Defs look into the different interpretations, but don't just do a paragraph on each interpretation - draw out the concepts, and why these concepts relate particularly to a particular school of thought, etc. etc. :)

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2017, 11:11:45 pm »
Omg lol hahaha completely my mistake - read it wrong the first time and then that just stuck in my head. But most of my points (aside from the specific ones about Sparta) still stand - the best essays will use Spartacus as a case study to demonstrate the significance of a wider historiographical issue or concept. I'd still look into reductionism - it works with most topics (all of my history extension students did their major works on reductionism - completely independent of one another hahaha). Other thing I'd have a look at is linguistics, and the concept of legends in general - why are they created? Defs look into the different interpretations, but don't just do a paragraph on each interpretation - draw out the concepts, and why these concepts relate particularly to a particular school of thought, etc. etc. :)

haha no worries, and yes everything you said (on Sparta) is applicable to my Spartacus topic. (tbh when i first saw your mishap i was worried you wasted like 20 mins writing all that valuable info hahaha :D)

Also I see what you mean, my teacher didn't even talk about using a specific event as a case study but discussing a wider 'historiographical' issue (such as reductionism). Such a good idea :D Thanks!!

Thank god for ATAR notes haha.
I'm going to start writing some drafts since I've written literally thousands of words of notes and I think i just need to play around with the essay. I'll be sure to post some of my drafts on the marking page :D

Also just to clarify, the history extension essay is only marked internally right? If so, wouldn't it be best to do exactly what your teacher wants? Should I pass by the idea of using reductionism through him before i do anything on it first? Or do you reckon i should just go with it?
Thanks again!
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 11:16:31 pm »
+1
haha no worries, and yes everything you said (on Sparta) is applicable to my Spartacus topic. (tbh when i first saw your mishap i was worried you wasted like 20 mins writing all that valuable info hahaha :D)

Also I see what you mean, my teacher didn't even talk about using a specific event as a case study but discussing a wider 'historiographical' issue (such as reductionism). Such a good idea :D Thanks!!

Thank god for ATAR notes haha.
I'm going to start writing some drafts since I've written literally thousands of words of notes and I think i just need to play around with the essay. I'll be sure to post some of my drafts on the marking page :D

Also just to clarify, the history extension essay is only marked internally right? If so, wouldn't it be best to do exactly what your teacher wants? Should I pass by the idea of using reductionism through him before i do anything on it first? Or do you reckon i should just go with it?
Thanks again!

hahaha no worries! Yes extension is marked internally - however (at least my teacher) loved to be challenged ;) It's the nature of the course after all. However yes, I definitely recommend running it by your teacher - always keep them in the loop! I found that my history extension teacher was probably my most valuable resource while formulating my major work!

And yes!!! Send through your drafts - would love to have a look!

damecj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 10:05:29 pm »
Hey,

Having the exact same problem as Maraos. My question was orignally To what extent was the US justified in dropping the atomic bombs. But I felt like that was too broad and nowhere near an E4 question even though my proposal received 20/20. I'm looking at the issue of the atomic bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and how different interpretations allow for different records of history to be constructed.

However, I am sturggling to come up with a question that would effectively back up my arguments..

Any help would be greatly appreiciated