Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:36:23 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378379 times)  Share 

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1065 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:33 am »
Me too lol, don’t stress and do your best. It’s not necessarily so hard. Just watch the time and finish everything on time. Actually I have just started revision( Test preparation) this week. If you have sufficient knowledge, a few days of exam preparation is sufficient ( 1 or 2 days per subject), do some practice and correct the stuff you did wrong. And , have a few days of good time, don’t drain your brain. This is what I think, plus, be confident. We might meet there and discuss science there next year.
You usually have to skip a few questions in a numeral Test. I don’t know what is in math, but from the experience of selective entrance, the hardest is just some quadratic algebra, and some trigonometry, basically year 10 stuff, and I don’t think there will be calculus involved. Harder math is actually an advantage for me. And anyone actually have some tips for the writing? I’m concerned about it, shall I apply my knowledge into it?

Thanks you so much.
Well this is really basic but my brother said that he only did two paragraphs (in a lot of detail) for his essay and didn't even write a conclusion but somehow gained entry. So like the content and expression is way more important than quantity, i guess. Sorry man, i'm really no help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:27:24 am by I don\'t know »

fibssggloss

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1066 on: June 20, 2019, 11:04:48 am »
Does your current school affect your chances of getting in? ( like if ur school is bad, do you have more chances? )

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #1067 on: June 20, 2019, 12:26:15 pm »
Does your current school affect your chances of getting in? ( like if ur school is bad, do you have more chances? )
Yeh it does. If you go to a shit school where there is hardly anyone trying out, then you have a big chance of getting in. (Only 3% of any school is able to get in, I think) More than 15 people are trying out from my school and I also have two campuses, which possibly means theres more than 30 people trying out across the two campuses, which significantly decreases my chances of ever getting in. Smh, I hate my school
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:30:02 pm by I don\'t know »

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1068 on: June 20, 2019, 01:25:11 pm »
JMSS student here.

Do the best you can on the day and whatever happens, happens. If you want to pursue a STEM career, you can obviously still pursue it without going into a science school, so don't feel disheartened if you don't get in. You're not "dumb/stupid/retarded/etc.". The entrance exam is just an indication of your abilities in different topics at the time you take it. You could do crap now, but improve at lot by the end of high school. You could do well now, but struggle to keep up with VCE later on. Point is, doesn't matter where you go for high school, the end result of going to uni and having a career that you like is what matters.

So yeah, not sure how effective that "pep talk" was. But remember that I used to be in your shoes and I'm just speaking from hindsight. Good luck, have fun and take care of yourselves. 
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #1069 on: June 20, 2019, 01:55:22 pm »
JMSS student here.

Do the best you can on the day and whatever happens, happens. If you want to pursue a STEM career, you can obviously still pursue it without going into a science school, so don't feel disheartened if you don't get in. You're not "dumb/stupid/retarded/etc.". The entrance exam is just an indication of your abilities in different topics at the time you take it. You could do crap now, but improve at lot by the end of high school. You could do well now, but struggle to keep up with VCE later on. Point is, doesn't matter where you go for high school, the end result of going to uni and having a career that you like is what matters.
Hello Shades, I’m choosing JMSS because of this is the first school I knew to have specialized curriculum for science and math. I learn knowledge from Khan Academy as well, and apply the knowledge into daily life in my free time. I’m unable to discuss scientific stuff with other students in my class, due to their lack of passion in science.
Thanks for sending the GAT 2013 stuff, I was really stressed when I saw it, 36 pages in 3 hours, is that the thing I’m really going to face during the test? And now I only have a day and half to practice those. Like the person on the information night said: hard, but not impossible. Since the laws of physics are universal, I believe what I learned will be somehow useful.
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • monash gang wya
« Reply #1070 on: June 20, 2019, 02:01:31 pm »
hey i know this is kinda off topic but to relieve the tension a bit what’s everyone’s science/ what science do you want to pursue? i personally like a lot of astrophysics and astronomy

fibssggloss

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1071 on: June 20, 2019, 02:20:20 pm »
hey i know this is kinda off topic but to relieve the tension a bit what’s everyone’s science/ what science do you want to pursue? i personally like a lot of astrophysics and astronomy

I personally like chemistry and bio but I want to persue CHEMISTRY,, as I wanna be a chemical engineer (buttt I still don't know, I have more options but that's my top priority atm)

Hi im jeff

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1072 on: June 20, 2019, 04:51:35 pm »
Let’s discuss that when we are offered enrollment from JMSS, Test first :'(
Yeh lol good luck to everyone doing it  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • monash gang wya
« Reply #1073 on: June 20, 2019, 04:53:48 pm »
Yeh lol good luck to everyone doing it  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

thanks good luck to everyone else too!

fibssggloss

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1074 on: June 20, 2019, 05:00:36 pm »
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE THATS DOING THE TEST!!! Let's use our last days before the exam wisely,,, hopefully we'll all be in the same school next year :)))

Gsuper111

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1075 on: June 20, 2019, 06:03:23 pm »
Good Luck Everyone :)

bambiiiii

• Adventurer
« Reply #1076 on: June 20, 2019, 06:52:53 pm »
Is it weird that i'm not stressing right now? Like I am not confident nor am fully prepared however, I am just not stressed. I think that there is something wrong with me lmao

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • monash gang wya
« Reply #1077 on: June 20, 2019, 07:46:03 pm »
Tomorrow is no school for me by special reasons (curriculum day) and I just got the full GAT stuff today (if that’s what we’ll have in a real test) of 2013. I’ll enjoy it tomorrow. Maybe watch and study some Khan Academy or books from the library as well? Just relax before the “judgement day”

damn you seem really prepared lol. ive taken the day off tomorrow to study, if you can call watching the entire crash course playlist on biology 3 times "study". Maybe ill look into some more Khan Academy too. Btw does anyone know where we sit? all the email says is the id's and what to bring not like selective where they specifically told you where to sit at the centre

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #1078 on: June 20, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »
+1
damn you seem really prepared lol. ive taken the day off tomorrow to study, if you can call watching the entire crash course playlist on biology 3 times "study". Maybe ill look into some more Khan Academy too. Btw does anyone know where we sit? all the email says is the id's and what to bring not like selective where they specifically told you where to sit at the centre
I'm not as busy as I should be, I still have time posting stuff. Why biology? I could do better on physics and chemistry, I just have a lot of trouble remembering and analyze the names of those proteins, species and biological processes! If you want some GAT practice, go to page 4 of this forum from Shades ( I don't know how did he managed to send it because it exceeds the limit). the location should be on the pdf where edutest send you.
Good luck (luck and probability are all about quantum mechanics)and enjoy the exam. Maybe we'll be in the same school one day
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • monash gang wya
« Reply #1079 on: June 20, 2019, 09:07:15 pm »
I'm not as busy as I should be, I still have time posting stuff. Why biology? I could do better on physics and chemistry, I just have a lot of trouble remembering and analyze the names of those proteins, species and biological processes! If you want some GAT practice, go to page 4 of this forum from Shades ( I don't know how did he managed to send it because it exceeds the limit). the location should be on the pdf where edutest send you.
Good luck (luck and probability are all about quantum mechanics)and enjoy the exam. Maybe we'll be in the same school one day

oh im spending a day on physics, chem, and bio each, as ironically shadestache posted a list of important things to learn back on an old jmss forum and bio had the most stuff so im using my day off to study for it. Thanks for the practise suggestion, and a hearty thanks and good luck to back to you. Now, back to studying!  ;) lol